Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it possible

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WelshOneEmma, May 8, 2010.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

for a dog to be unhappy?

as Piper is getting more settled, when she gets hyper active (over tired after play etc) she has started biting really hard. I have tried the high pitched "ouch" and standing up and ignoring her, so she is now biting harder and pulling as she bites. I have then been walking out of the room and coming back when she has calmed down (which is usually accompanied by whimpering). Sometimes she starts up again with the biting, sometimes she then settles. She got particularly bad this evening, and when she did settle, she now has this sad look in her eyes - do they get unhappy? Or am I over reacting?

2. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

how old is she/ how long have you had her? If you got her recently it sounds like she's just settling in but dogs can absolutely be unhappy. Some say that dogs can pretty much suffer from all the types of ailments humans can. I'm sure she'll be fine - she may bt settling in. If she's old she may like more time alone, if she's a pup, she may be getting overly hyped up.

Wish you all the best! Maybe check out or post in the dog behaviour section

3. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

OMG, sooo been there as have many puppy owners out there no doubt!

Basil went through exactly the same thing, nipping and biting everything when he was overtired or worked up by the kids. It just doesn't happen now, he is much calmer now he's a bit older and he's on better food.;)

What worked for us was the following:

- Always have a toy handy when the biting starts so she learns that toys are for biting.

- When she gets hyper just try a bit of training, just the simple stuff like sit, down, stay etc. This seemed to calm Basil down and focus him a bit.

- Puppy time out! We used to put Basil in his crate or shut him in the kitchen for five minutes or so. He was always calmer when he had been on his own for a bit and had no one to react against.

I am not sure whether she will be feeling sad to be honest - she could just be feeling tired - Basil was always worn out after one of these episodes!

Oh, just thought of one more thing - I used to get Basil on my lap and hold a rawhide chew or something similar for him to chew. Chewing calms them down loads...had to hold the bone for Basil until he got bigger, his paws were too little to hold a bone and chew it at the same time!!:D

Really hope this helps...remember that these are just phases and they do pass. Just be consistent, don't let her do anything that you consider to be unacceptable, and don't feel bad when you have to be a bit tough; it will pay dividends in the long run! Especially as she has some terrier in her - DO NOT give her an inch, being a terrier she will take five miles!!

:)

4. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

Perhaps your dog is tired and need some 'time out and quiet space area' to get some sleep. hth x

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i agree with this and would try giving your dog some time and space to have a rest :)

6. WelshOneEmma

When she gets like this and gets too agressive, I do put her in the kitchen for a 'time out'. She calms quite quickly as she hates being on her own and just cries. I have been noticing it gets worse towards the end of the day, so will just make sure we have lots of chews around to help calm her. She is particularly fond of venison ears and bones, so will stock up on them! Thanks everyone! :)

7. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

Do you use a crate? My poodle loves his den. It's a crate full of lovely soft throws and cushions,(in fact he's got one of my best cushions off my sofa in there, he took a shine to it and I did'nt have the heart to not let him have it in his bed :) ) with a bigger blanket on top of the crate in effect making it look like a tent. He very often takes himself off in there for a nap, and he'll stay there for a few hours or so :D

8. WelshOneEmma

She HATES the crate. Screams and screams, winds herself up so much that she makes herself sick. She has settled into sleeping in one at night, but is in the bedroom, covered over.

9. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

persevere emma! i am kinda in the same position as you, our pupster used to bite anything that moved... ithought he was really unhappy and had exactly the same conversation with one of my friends. i came on here cause i was at my wits end, our ankles were being shredded, clothes getting holes in and the kids were becoming scared of him. the vet nurse told me to under no circumstances accept any form of biting and when he does make contact with something he isnt supposed to with his teeth, put him in puppy time out. we have been doing this for 3 weeks now and i have to say he is getting a lot better, he is spending less time in puppy time out and occasionally if he does get our skin etc he jumps away like he knows he has made a mistake... so please keep on in there... boo x

10. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hi W.O.E. - Your puppy sounds adorable - with the same name too as my youngest - tho mine's is 'Piobaire' = Piper. She gets kinda hyper near bedtime. I call it 'the funny half hour'. The moment she sees me opening into my bedroom - she flops right on into her bed and snores like a pig :D I wish you many happy days with your lil Piper!

Best wishes

Dobermum x

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

All good methods previously mentioned...

But personally... I would not allow this to start so as soon as you know she is going into her weird mode.. Time out.. You do not want to encourage this chewing.. Or any aggresive behaviour.. you are the boss.. she has to do as she is told.. No biting nipping or encouraging mouthing.. Have you a crate?

PMA goes a long way Positive Mental Attitude...

#11 momentofmadness, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice