UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cuddles my beloved 3 year old female cat has recently converted over to wet food from dry food due to having 2 bouts of cystitis within a 6 to 8 week period.

I have noticed today she is starting to get stains on her gums around her teeth, which I am guessing is plaque. My question is can cats teeth be cleaned/brushed like we brush our teeth (If they can I know this is going to be another nightmare for me trying to do this without her biting me)? If so where is the best place to buy the toothbrush and toothpaste for cats?

I don't want to revert back to dry food to resolve this issue as Cuddles will just get another bout of cystitis and put on weight again.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
You can either try Logic toothpaste that they can just lick off your finger (I find this the best and easiest option) or Plaque Off which you add to their food but one of my cats refused to eat her dinner with this in and we all know that Cuddles can be a bit fussy ;) or there are additives that you can add to their water like Dentagen or Aquadent again I had mixed results with these as Maudey stopped drinking as much as she usually does and she needs to drink due to reoccurring UTI's so I stick with the Logic Tootpaste and they have it after breakfast and before bed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can either try Logic toothpaste that they can just lick off your finger (I find this the best and easiest option) or Plaque Off which you add to their food but one of my cats refused to eat her dinner with this in and we all know that Cuddles can be a bit fussy ;) or there are additives that you can add to their water like Dentagen or Aquadent again I had mixed results with these as Maudey stopped drinking as much as she usually does and she needs to drink due to reoccurring UTI's so I stick with the Logic Tootpaste and they have it after breakfast and before bed.
Cuddles wouldn't take anything mixed to her food as you are right she is very, very fussy. I have purchased Logic toothpaste and was thinking of administering this twice daily and will see how things go with this. Cuddles won't use her water fountain anymore so I am assuming she gets enough fluid/moisture from the food and small amount of gravy included in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dry food doesn't clean teeth - see if you can get her to play with a chicken wing. Just playing with it will massage her gums and take the plaque off (though I've never heard of plaque on gums only teeth)
There are small stains on her gums at the bottom of her teeth :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where's the best place to buy Logic toothpaste? There seems to be quite the difference in prices.
Cheapest place I found was medicanimal.co.uk (Free postage although you do have to wait 3 to 5 days) but saying that I use them alot :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure it's plaque ( can you pick it off with your fingernail?) and not pigment (which is not able to be removed)? My ginger boy has pigmenting on his gums. It's just plaque forms on teeth not gums.
She never had it when she was on dry food (I know dry food doesn't keep the teeth clean and it is an old wives tail) but have just noticed it today.

The area on the gum it is is just where the base of the tooth is. I haven't tried doing anything at the moment as she is prowling around trying to decide what to do and she is in a biting mood so I think I will try later on :)

It might be pigment but it will do her no harm to have some toothpaste to keep her teeth clean as they are a bit discoloured through eating the wet food :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same problem with my cats in my multi pet household.....I just feed them mainly wet, then a tiny cup of good quality complete dried food between them x
They eat the wet first then eat the dried, I also give them dental treats once a week or so. Mine done like any of the toothpastes even beef or chicken flavored!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.