Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it possible she is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by campfam, Mar 23, 2011.

1. campfam

campfam PetForums Newbie

My female dachshund was in heat about 5 weeks ago. Although I was very careful with her going outside, I am not sure if another family member was not. She now has very swollen nipples and it looks like she is getting rounder. I her in a diaper the entire time she was bleeding except when I took her out to do the restroom. The only other dog we have is a male husky about 4 months old. Is it possible that she is pregnant? If so, could the young husky have done it? I am also afraid if she is pregnant, would the size difference be a problem?

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

because of the uncertainty please get her straight to the vets for the mismate jab, the size difference certainly would be a problem it would probably kill her.

3. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

agree with Noushka, go get the mismate jab from your vet, how old is your girlie? best b safe than sorry as the saying goes, an if she is old enough, get her spayed.

4. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

I think males can start being able to reproduce about the 5 month mark, so the Husky may be the culprit. As suggested I would get her to the vet asap.

5. Your girl could be having a phantom pregnancy. I would be very surprised if a male was fertile at 4 months; my boys never took any notice of anything of that nature until they were 8 months.

In the circumstances, for your own peace of mind and the fact that if she was mated by a Husky (as in much larger breed) then I think the mismate jabs are your safest option. However, I'm not sure whether too much time has passed since her season/possible mating. It's vital you speak to your Vet and get advice.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Isn't 5 weeks or so too late for mismate jab?

Agree, take her to vet and my advice is to have her spayed asap, this will permanently stop any future "accidents." Even if she is pregnant, spaying will be safer than allowing such an awful mating to go ahead :)

She may of course be having a phantom pregnancy if not actually pregnant, vet can advise on this and then suggest best time to spay :)

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

alizin is the injection given late in pregnancy i think it can be given up to 45 days after conception Amethyst:)

8. She should be just in time then! I didn't realise the mismates were effective that long after mating. Learn something new every day:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice