Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it okay to use dog grooming brush on cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Fabbiha, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Fabbiha

Fabbiha PetForums Newbie

I have a an adult tuxedo cat whose been shredding a lot recently, mostly in areas where she can't reach. The grooming brush I had previously was useless and didn't help whatsoever.

I am currently looking on Amazon for a new one for her but I've noticed 1) there's hardly any cat grooming brushes, good ones anyways. 2) The dog grooming brushes are cheaper and have higher ratings.

But I just want to be sure before purchasing, is it okay if I use dog brushes for my cat? I just want to make sure it's not going to ruin her fur / be rough on her skin.

I am also open to recommendations of any grooming brushes for my cat, too!

Thank you for anyone who answers.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I can't comment on dog grooming brushes. It depends on your cats coat and the type of brush you are looking at. Have look at the zoom groom. It is really good at taking out loose under coat. It is not a brush in the usual sense but works well. Have a look at the following post for an example.
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/zoom-groom-fan-club.486900/#post-1065190534

See my post #11 for the amount of loose undercoat I got out of my kitty in one session.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I had a cat like that. Nearly all Brushes skate over the top, you need to comb him, but my cat hated being combed. I found the answer was a slicker.

4. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

I use a dog slicker brush on my cat. It’s a bit firmer than the ones for cats. He seems to like it anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice