Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it okay to give dogs cat food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Piglet1, May 30, 2010.

1. Piglet1

Piglet1 PetForums Junior

Hi there,
    my puppy is on Wafcol puppy completeand he seems pretty bored with it! I have found that by adding just a spoonful of cat food that is fish based and in a gel, he is much more enthusiastic about dinner time. Is there a problem with using cat food in this way? Haven't caught him miawing yet!!

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

How old is the pup???

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I wouldn't harvey ate some of kitty's biscuits and was sick that morning. Dogs and cats have different physiology and their digestive system and also their bodies require different kinds of nutrition. Id rather add a bit if Tuna in oil, fish, raw mince ect. :)

4. flufffluff39

I was going to say exactly the same but was also going to say don't cos its going to mess with his digestive system!!!

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Paws and Claws looks after Henrick when we are away on holiday and they give the more fussy dogs who visit a bit of salmon oil in their dry food, it always makes Henrick eat up when hes being fussy so that might be worth getting some, you can get it delivered from ebay.

6. flufffluff39

Is that like the cod liver oil we used to use on my pointer x spaniels food??

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Im not sure tbh, it just says salmon oil on it and Henrick loves it, it is meant to be good for their coat I think.

8. flufffluff39

Yeh we used to give it to lady cos she has a dry coat and skin. She loved it and I think it could be a good idea for the pup to :)

9. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

cat foods really bad for them, causes gall stones, liver problems, all sorts - ask your vet.
    mixing a little oil in the food should work, or adding a raw egg mixed in, or half tin or sardines/pilchards.

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i would avoid giving your puppy cat food. stick to his puppy food :)

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Years ago they used to say that dogs can have cat food but cats cant have dog food? In laws always used to feed their Yorkies on Whiskas?

12. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

They eat everything else so cant see why not;)

13. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Giving him the odd bit of cat food now and again I wouldn't imagine would do any harm, but its in the long term that it would do harm if he got it everyday. I think cat food has a higher protein level than dog food and it would have different levels of other nutrients, so really your pup could be getting too much of one thing and not enough of another, but remember nutrient deficiencys don't happen overnight, tummy upsets however do, so if your pup has a dodgy or sensitive stomach then that is where it could do harm.

If he is a picky eater then just leave his food down at regular mealtimes (2-3 times a day depending on age) and pick it back up after 15 minutes if he hasn't eaten and don't give any tit bits until next mealtime, dogs are smart so he won't starve himself but if he thinks something tastier is coming then he will hold out for it, so it is important that you don't give in and give him something tastier or you'l end up with a dog that will not touch dog food at all.
    Trust me I know from experience, my own fella is a picky eater and I started giving him bits of meat and veg and nice stuff through his dinner and of course he started picking around the dog food. It got so bad at one point that I put a whole tin of applaws down for him and he wouldn't touch it because he was waiting for his ham. I decided enough was enough and done as I described above with plain dry food, when I was sure he would eat dry food without picking, then I slowly introduced some other foods into his diet like some raw veg, if he started picking again then straight back to method described above. He now gets a meal of plain dry biscuits in the morning and for his evening meal I mix in some mashed up naturediet (Natural Dog Food | Naturediet) and sometimes some meat or veg, and he always licks the bowl clean! :D
    Naturediet is brilliant for picky eaters as its completely natural and wonderfully smelly, but if you want him to eat some dry food then best to wait until he is eating that realiably before adding wet food to his diet or he'l just pick around the biscuits.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice