UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I bought the following Fluorescent Elasticated Safety Cat Collar in Yellow several weeks ago:

Fluorescent Elasticated Safety Cat Collars on eBay (end time 01-May-10 17:47:37 BST)

Just got round to putting it on my cat short while ago & realised it was shorter than his old one.

His old one, when measured straight, from one end to the other including the metal buckle, is approximately 30.3cm long (found out tonight!)

I've never actually come across this before because normally whenever we've bought collars for him they've always been the same length as before or slightly longer which is easily solved by cutting off the surplus amount...I think that's why I thought this collar would be about the same length or worst case scenario, bit longer.

This new collar is listed as being approx 27cm long, don't know if measurement includes metal buckle, but I didn't even pay much attention to this before purchase.

I put the new collar on him & after putting the metal pin through the collar I was able to pull a bit through the buckle to fasten it, although it doesn't seem to have fastened as securely as his old one due to the length, while looking OK, I'm worried about it coming off when he goes out.

The amount sticking out after being pulled through the buckle is approx 1.7cm in length. As the material of the collar is nylon and it isn't very sturdy, I'm worried this remaining amount after being pulled through the buckle is a bit short and it might slip out when he is out exploring and especially as he gets into a fair share of fights with other cats (the rascal stands his ground when he sees dogs too), although he is neutered.

I really don't like the thought of him losing his collar when he is out and about and being mistaken for a stray........maybe I'm being paranoid.

Taking the above information into account do you think its OK to leave the collar on him?

Does the collar actually sound fine from what I've told you and I'm worrying unnecessarily? :confused:

Thank you.

Jay

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, he is microchipped.

I don't think it was too tight.....but since my last post I have tried to adjust it slightly to make it more secure and comfortable for him......as the material stretches I think I got to expand the length but I hope I haven't gone too far and done the complete opposite now :)

Hopefully it'll be OK.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
From the picture on eBay, it looks as if the collar is a simple length of elastic with a buckle - is that right? A cat collar neds to have a safety release - a plastic breakaway catch which will release if the cat gets its collar hooked around a branch, or similar.

If the collar you have on your cat doesn't have a breakaway clasp, please don't put it on your cat. If the collar becomes entangled, and it doesn't have a release catch, your cat can choke to death - please don't risk it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the picture on eBay, it looks as if the collar is a simple length of elastic with a buckle - is that right? A cat collar neds to have a safety release - a plastic breakaway catch which will release if the cat gets its collar hooked around a branch, or similar.

If the collar you have on your cat doesn't have a breakaway clasp, please don't put it on your cat. If the collar becomes entangled, and it doesn't have a release catch, your cat can choke to death - please don't risk it!
agreed. all cats should wear a safety collar specifically designed for this purpose. I dont let my cat outside unless she's on a lead but she still has one anyway, can't risk my little princess getting hurt

if you have the time please read my signature follow the link and vote to help me help unwanted animals xx

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I had a similar collar on my cat as I thought it was a 'saftey' collar but she got her leg through it then freaked out in the garden. Now I don't put collars on my cats but when I did I made sure to use a breakaway one. I've heard many stories of collars being found in trees or on fences - if they weren't breakaway then the cats would have been strangled.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I had a similar collar on my cat as I thought it was a 'saftey' collar but she got her leg through it then freaked out in the garden. Now I don't put collars on my cats but when I did I made sure to use a breakaway one. I've heard many stories of collars being found in trees or on fences - if they weren't breakaway then the cats would have been strangled.
That happend to our old MC when I put one on him as a kitten, he got his back leg caught up & was choking :scared: so glad I was in the house at the time or :( it was suppose to be a safety collar that released :mad: never again :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.