Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it normal for house trained dogs to start having accidents in the house again after neutering?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sadie McGarva, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Sadie McGarva

Sadie McGarva PetForums Newbie

My dog is nearly 12 months old and was castrated just over 2 weeks ago. He was completely house trained and has had the full sign off from the vets since his operation but the other day he started peeing in the house again. The first time was around 9pm (after being walked at around 5.45pm) and i put it down to us having a few early nights in a row and him being walked around that time. Then today he saw me get his lead and collar out around lunchtime and instead of coming to have his collar put on like usual, he ran and jumped on the sofa and peed. I still walked him straight after and then again around 5pm and at around 8.30pm he peed on the sofa again without any signs that he wanted to go. I just don’t understand it as he still manages to hold it all day while were at work through the week but when were home with him he is peeing every 2-3 hours? Is he attention seeking? Is it normal? Is it something to do with the castration? We haven’t changed our routine and I haven’t noticed him drinking any more than usual, what else could it be? He is let out as soon as we get up each morning, when were working Monday-Friday he is walked at 8am, 5.30pm and then again just before bed at around 9.30/10pm and then on a weekend he is walked around 8.30am, 12/1pm, 5/6pm and then agin before bed. I just don’t know why this has started again.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

He's not regressing with his toilet training however it is most likely connected to the neutering - I suspect the 'trauma' of the operation and no doubt the pain and discomfort afterwards has messed with his confidence a little. In fact whilst the vet has pronounced him fit post op, he is mostly likely still in a little discomfort. If you are worried of course then get the Vet to have another check. It's unlikely to be an infection if he isn't peeing little and often at other times but again this can be checked by your Vet.

I would simply give him time to get over the operation - don't make an issue of the weeing (do not reprimand him) or else it is more likely to continue. It's not attention seeking or anything purposeful. Be aware that getting his lead may make him anxious at the moment (and therefore wee) so (hide the lead) call him gently to you and reward and slip the lead on that way. And take him out for a wee as often as you can to minimise his need to go at other times.

In time he should settle down again.

J

3. Sadie McGarva

Hi, thanks for your advice.

Its just so strange that for the 2 weeks following the operation he was his usual self. He woke up from the anaesthetic and bounced around so much that he bruised himself before we even got there to collect him from the vets. At no point has he seemed in any pain or discomfort, so much so that we found it really difficult stopping him jumping on the sofa/bed etc. We had to put all his toys away to try and calm him.
    He has been happy to go for walks (short and on the lead as instructed by the vet, as we dont have a garden to let him in). I have even joked that i dont even think he has noticed that he even had surgery because he has just been his usual self until a couple of days ago. I will give the vets a call today and see if they think i need to fetch him in for another check.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  4. Sadie McGarva

UPDATE- We haven’t taken Teddy to the vets, i called them and they said if i was concerned to take him in but there no signs of Teddy being in any discomfort and i have started to think he has started peeing indoors for attention. We monitored him for a few days after my original post, walked him every 2 hours when we were off and then even when we went back to work, leaving Teddy on his own for a full work day and we were having no accidents. But today we have both been busy since we got home, my husband has been decorating and i was sorting tea, dealing with a delivery issue and doing some work and Teddy has peed inside 3 times since his walk at 5pm. Could it just be that he is trying to get our attention? Usually he has cuddles and play time for most of the evening until he decides he has fed up and tonight we have just been too busy to give him the usual amount of attention. I just don’t know what else is causing him to do this. I really dont think it could be a UTI as he doesnt pee all day while we are working but has been within an hour of us being home and walking him. Really dont know wht else to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice