Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it just me...?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by srhdufe, Aug 13, 2009.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

2. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

A birthday presant for her 3 yr old!!! :eek: Do you think this is something people say to hopefully get a cheap pup? I can't see anyone really getting a 3 yr old their own dog!!???

3. Colsy

Colsy Banned

I would have bought a stuffed toy sorry.
    A dog is for life not just Birthdays and Christmas.
    But if they thought about a dog for a long time and pre planned fair enough.

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

They wouldnt get one from me!

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

They could do better get a robot dog, I have loads and they are much easier than a dog and I think would be better for a 3 year old.

I got Barney as a Christmas present and he's the best one i've ever had and he's one permanent present that's staying with me.

6. charlie9009

If it was all planned then that is good, but why would you say it's for a 3 yr old? Surley that would put alot of people off? Or do you think they said it to tug on the heart strings and hopefully get one cheaper?

If it were me I would'e said we were looking for a pup, and also mentioned that we had a little boy, but not said the dog was for him!

7. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Not sure but a stuffed one maybe better.
    Think its good for children to grow up with animals and for them to respect each other.
    Not sure about getting it cheaper price does not matter its a living creature.

8. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

its the same story as...

puppy wanted must be cheap as disabled,and must deliver as cannot travel..

puppy wanted for my children,they have saved all their pocket money but only have £100,must be pedigree...

sob stories:eek:ut:

9. charlie9009

That's what I thought.

I know money is tight for some people (we are no exception) but why not save for another year and then buy a dog, not give a sob story? I have a little boy, but still saved for LuLu (ok, I had things to sell that helped, but if I hadn't I would've saved longer!)

10. christine0808

christine0808 PetForums Junior

even if the child wanted dog its obvious the parent wud have to look after it so realy you are buying yourself a dog,either way i would never sell a puppy to someone buying it for a child.
    some1 just wants a pedigree for cheap and thts just not how it works

11. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Perhaps they should opt for a rescue lots out there.

12. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My daughter (also 3) has her 'own' rabbit. Our next dog will be 'hers' also. But this is only household sayings!!
    How can a 3yr old (or child any age) possibly have a pet that is truly theirs!!! They can't be responsible for buying food, insurance, flea/worming treatments. Walking the dog, cleaning out cages if they are caged etc
    Yes they can 'help' but it is the parents true responsibilty. The parents have to want the animal and then 'class' is as the childs.
    Any new animal bought into this household is mine. I want them, i know i have the finances etc to keep them.
    I agree with Colsy it is very good for children to be bought up with animals, it does teach them responsibilty, but at the end of the day its the parents who are responsible for the pet in every aspect.

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I can not speak for all disabled people but my dad knows someone is disabled and he researched his wanted breed and then found a breeder. He went over to the UK to see the pups talk to the breeder etc. And went back again to collect his pup. He is on disabilty benefit, he saved for nearly a year to get his pup. His dog is his best friend and family (he has no living relatives here) the dog has a super life, his names is Basil and he is a Yorkie!

But i completely agree it is seen so much, all the sob stories...............i am a known softie, but if it came to my beloved pups it just wouldn't do!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice