Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it just a digestive problem or colitis?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by latting, Aug 15, 2009.

1. latting

latting PetForums Junior

Our 11 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel seems will never cope with any normal food. We are first time parents, please please feel free to advise.

Got Lemon 3 weeks ago. Fed moistened JWB when came home. Got diarrhea straightway. Two days later, could see blood trace in poop. Brought him to vet and given Hill's I/D tin food. He then became better and completely settled down about 1 week later. But it's not over yet...

In the 2nd week, we then started introducing 1/3-1/2 JWB with the rest of Hill's I/D. He started runny poop almost straightway. But it's not too bad, just been able to pick up. We hoped he could get used to that, but not at all after 1 week.

In the 3rd week, we ran out of Hill's I/D. We started to feed dry food only to have a try. As Lemon really hates dry food alone, he ate very little, about only 1/3 of suggested daily feeding. We thought, fine, since you can't digest dry food very well, just eat less for the moment. His poop got more runny then. This morning we made another change to go back moistened dry food to see if this could help. But out of our expectation, he got worse poop. Can not see the shape of it at all.

We are a bit hopeless now. Did we introuduce the food too fast for him? Or he's probably got some problems like colitis? Or anything else we d better go to vet do further test?

During the last 2 week. We tried JWB turkey/fish, Hill's science plan, Berrimans, all for puppy. We didn't see any difference so probably he's not ok with particular brand but all dry food.

We got Lemon from a bad breeder with fake pedigree. Therefore it's impossbile to get in touch with him.

Thanks for reading this and would appricated your help.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What was the breeder feeding?

It sounds like it could possibly be down to so many dietry changes. You need to stick to one very bland diet for a week or so.

You could try chicken and rice for a few days, and see if you can get some probiotics from your vet. Pro-kolin is meant to be great for dogs with upset stomachs.

3. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Poor Lemon (love the name by the way). I can't offer any advice really, just wanted to say 'get well soon' to Lemon, must be a worry for you too.
    Best of luck

4. RebeccaArmstrong

RebeccaArmstrong PetForums Senior

Poor Lemon! It does sound like he has had a few changes of food which can make them poorly ... I would stabalise his diet and see how that goes - if it is the same then i would introduce Aloe Vera into his diet - Aloe gel drink is brilliant for the health and can help with digestive problems - I give my dogs it as a matter of course!

Becky

5. rona

rona Guest

Trip to the vet definitely to check that she's not too dehydrated, and Pro Kolin paste seems to have worked for everyone that has used it on the forum

Protexin Pro Kolin for dogs and cats

6. latting

latting PetForums Junior

Nonnie, no way to get in touch with breeder as mentioned in my 1st post. I have to be on my own and everyone here, not him:mad:

I mainly fed Lemon Berrimans Chicken and Rice last two day and he likes this flavor compared to the other dry food. Berrimans was suggested by a staff for the sensitive digestion. Has any one tried this before and is it worth sticking on?

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He didnt give you a puppy pack or even tell you?? He sounds a right so and so.

Ive not heard of Berrimans. Is it a puppy food?

I still think you would be far better off having him on boiled chicken and rice/pasta for a few days. Just until his tummy settles. Its far easier for him to digest compared to a commercial food.

Once he is settled, you can start slowly introducing the puppy food over a few days.

Is there any blood in his feces? And is he wormed up to date?

8. latting

latting PetForums Junior

Roan, thanks FYI.

I am sure he will be fine with Hill's I/D tin food only. Wud you use tin food to settle down Lemon first or wud you use dry food with Pro Kolin. How long it roughly takes him to settle down for the latter option?

9. rona

rona Guest

It's difficult to say as we don't really know what is causing the problem, but it needs sorting soon, as pups can dehydrate very quickly.
    You really need to work on this with your vet, but the Pro Kolin cannot do any harm

10. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

Hi, we had a very similar problem with our puppy (now 5 months old). We got him from a breeder who we thought was reputable but things have turned nasty and to cut a long story short it may now go to court.

Anyway, it could be caused by so many different things. Is Lemon wormed? This can cause runny/soft poo with bright red blood in it - from our own experience. We have used Panacur 10% liquid and wormed every 2 weeks for 2 months to make sure all eggs and larvae are also killed.

It could be a sensitivity to something not agreeing with him in his food although I have heard from someone I do trust that puppies rarely have true allergies as they are too young to have developed one. It is definitely the case you don't want to change foods too quickly or too often with young pups - but equally their poo should be firm and it's not good for them to be constantly having diarrhea.

Lastly, it could be caused by a virus or bacterial infection. This will only be cleared up with medicine from the vets and can be tested by a fecal sample test.

I took our puppy to the vets and was told to worm, starting immediately, and switch him onto a sensitive food (avoiding chicken and cereals/wheat etc as these are common allergens). In our case we were told he had been wormed up to date hence why we didn't think it could be worms - but he obviously wasn't and had huge ones :eek:hmy: This may be the case with you?

We slowly switched him onto Arden Grange Sensitive (white fish and potato) and along with the worming his poos started to return to normal within a week.

If I were you I would take Lemon to the vets for a check over but maybe try worming and a sensitive food. We were told that if things didn't improve in a few weeks then they would send off a fecal sample for testing - luckily we didn't need to do this.

Is Lemon lively and his normal playful self or is he lethargic? Ours was normal in himself but just diarrhea when he did go to the toilet. I think virus's and bacterial infections tend to cause other symptoms as well (such as vomitting) and for the puppy to be out-of-sorts, lethargic etc.

Hope this has helped? Our puppy had soft (cow-pat!) poos for about 4-5 weeks after us collecting him at 12 weeks until we managed to sort out the problem with 2-weekly wormings and a sensitive food.

Just a note: he may not be sensitive to a normal dry food but any worms and/or infection will sensitise and irritate the gut so something highly digestible and easy on the stomach/gut may help him get through this phase without feeling too poorly.

11. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I would go back on the Hills food until his tum settles down then introduce any new food a bit at a time. Sometimes the dry can't be digested by pups.

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

if i were you i'd take the puppy to the vet just to rule out things like giardia, i would also put im on nature diet which is very high quality food & easily digestible. Also as others have said pro kaolin is excellent or other probiotics like entrodex.

13. latting

latting PetForums Junior

I cant say more thanks for all you guys sharing opinions.

Lemon's wormed two weeks ago using Bayer Advocate given by vet. Should be killing all parasite inside and outside. It's a very tiny dose for dogs<4kg. Lemon's 3.2KG now, so for the safe side, I will give him another one after he's awake.

I think I know what to do now.

I already restarted Hill's I/D from last night. If he's better tomorrow.(probably as this did settle him during last diarrhoea). After that I will cook some very simple but higly digestible food for him. i.e. boiled rice with chicken, carrot + some Vit E, which are all avaible in our fridge. After he's completely settled down for a few days, I will start introducing dry food very slowly this time, preparing for one month time or so.

I have also got some Top Life puppy goat milk for him. Just as complementary of calcium. Is this safe for him? really don't wanna bring in any more unknown factors.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like a good plan.

Id leave out the milk, just until he's back to normal. Is it made specifically for puppies?

15. latting

latting PetForums Junior

Poor experience, It's our first time to take care of a pet. Felt loads of things weird when dealing with the breeder. But still thought should be fine as we have not met any such cheater since coming in the UK 4 years ago :(

YES, he even told me his got 1st vacination but I was not aware there should be a receipt of that. He also said his girlfriend beside him is VET....:eek:

He does sleep alot. Two hrs play then two hrs sleep during day time and the whole night from about 11pm-7am, I used to get up much later:blush2: But when he's awake, he's keen to go out our garden to burn out his energy. Generally speaking he's lively

16. latting

latting PetForums Junior

Yep, puppy milk printed. He's eating very little last week because of the dry food alone offered. We don't want him neither shorter nor weaker than other King Charles because of constant diarrhoea, so bought this...

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I would try nature diet too - both my older dog and puppy are on that and their poo's are solid.:D

18. JeffGrill

JeffGrill PetForums Newbie

I was just writing about this on Dog with Diarrhea. I don't like the sound of blood being mixed with the diarrhea. Definitely have your dog checked by a vet. It sounds like an infection. If there was no blood, food could be a likely cause, and the advice to try an elimination diet starting with a simple protein and carb such as chicken and rice would make sense. Once you see blood, and if it persists, it indicates some type of underlying cause for the condition that would require additional care before a cure can be found.

19. emmalouise1508

emmalouise1508 PetForums Member

We had a problem with our oldest. She was sick about 4 times a week for a year. She went to the vets countless times and had several treatments for things she didn't have. She even went under anaesthetic to have her stomach scoped looking for ulcers.. poor baby.

She was on Bakers Complete at this time, and it was only a year later that someone mentioned to us all the crap thats put into it!! No wonder she was being sick, she has a sensitive stomach anyway. We then put her on JWB dry food and she's been fine.

I think you should stick to one type of food for a while, even if her stools are runny, you might notice an improvement if you stick it out. It sounds like she's had too many variations of food in too little time!

1 person likes this.
  20. sqiggle

sqiggle PetForums Newbie

When My dog Tigger Was Bad like that our vet told us colitus but at 8 months she refused to eat anythink.

She Passed cronic Scoots and was very bloody too he told us to put her on a tuna and rice diet which we did and it didnt work so we tired boiled egg and rice it also didnt work

at the age of 2 she collasped needed a blood transfusion and we almost lost her apparently due to all the blood she was passing as she pooped, we had tryplase cappsules and it helped for a while but then it didnt work at one point the blood was dripping from her backside the vet no longer new what to do with her, we decided to get her put to sleep as she was also collapsing in pain with her pancreas as the vet told us that what was causing her to collapse.

She was only 3 when she was PTS.

She had Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.

I hope your little puppy Gets well soon x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice