Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it going to work out with new dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jenbenn, Nov 21, 2012.

1. jenbenn

jenbenn PetForums Junior

We took in a 2 year old rescue a month ago, on a trial basis. She's very sweet but she's a bit anxious and fearful. What concerns me though is that it seems to be rubbing off on our resident dog. He's become less calm, and started barking at stuff he never would have barked at. This morning when we left the house Suzy howled like crazy. She's in a playpen. We came back to discover that Olly had demolished our sofa cushions. Obviously she was stressing him out.

Are they just bad for each other? We are very calm with them and I don't think there are human issues involved here, certainly not that I am aware of, we are both relaxed. But I'm concerned that Suzy is not the right personality for Olly. We've tried really really hard to make it work, but I'm not comfortable yet. What to do?

2. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

A month is no time at all for a rescue dog. It can take a long time for a rescue to really relax.

That said, of course you have to look out for your resident dog. I really urge you to contact the rescue from which you adopted your girl and get their advice. They should be your first port of call and they may well have a behaviourist or trainer who can help you.

Meanwhile, when you go out, can you separate the two dogs? Also it might be worth spending a bit of one-on-one time with your original dog as does sound as though he's getting frustrated/nervous.

At any rate, this poor fearful girl really does need some help from a good behaviouist.

Let us know how you get on.

3. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

It can take dogs months to settle in to a new environment and with the other dogs and people. Its a big change and very frightening to a dog. She will be anxious and fearul, shes only been with you a month and has had so many changed. Yes it will rub off on the other dogs, they pick up on moods and body language. He will be stressed, but you need to give both dogs time to settle. Your resident dog has to get used to the new dog and accept the changes.

I think you need to give it alot longer, they both need to work out eachothers personalities. Play games with them both, groom them, do training, walking, all these will help you all bond.

If one of them does seem stressed in certain situations then remove them from it so they can have some time out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice