UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Do you think that our High Earners are just greedy gluttons and should give away half of their salary cos they don't need it

or

Do you think it is unjustified, they work hard so should be able to play hard

or

Could you not give a diddly squat

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

·
Administrator
3,062 Posts
I reckon that its pretty unfair that anyone should have to pay 50% tax, when theres millions out there who choose not to work and expect handouts from the government.

Its no wonder this country is so messed up, it seems the government is punishing those hard workers out there and then helping the ones who dont want to work. What kind of message is this sending out to everyone? They should be encouraging the hard workers by lowering therir taxes and punishing the peole who cant be arsed to work by giving them less handouts. We live in a backwards country and its getting worse every year.

Mark

G

·
Yes i think it is fair, we all have to pay tax, the people that work so why shouldnt they get taxed more if they are on a high wage.

x

·
Registered
776 Posts
I reckon that its pretty unfair that anyone should have to pay 50% tax, when theres millions out there who choose not to work and expect handouts from the government.

Its no wonder this country is so messed up, it seems the government is punishing those hard workers out there and then helping the ones who dont want to work. What kind of message is this sending out to everyone? They should be encouraging the hard workers by lowering therir taxes and punishing the peole who cant be arsed to work by giving them less handouts. We live in a backwards country and its getting worse every year.

Mark
I Agree!! :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hmmm this is a hard one, but I do think they should be taxed more. I know they have worked for their money, but they are still left with enough after the tax. If they didn't tax them more, then everyone's tax would go up, and I know that we deffinatly wouldn't have enough money to live on then!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I dont think they should, me and my hubby run a small business and we put a lot of hard workand long hours into it for what to pay more taxes, i think they get enough from us already. xxx

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it the High Earners that are putting their income back in to the system?

Do you think that a lot of these High Earners will choose to move out of the Country to places where they won't be paying so much tax.

This in turn will shoot the government in the foot, because they are losing out on all angles then.

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
I for one don't think its fair that people should have 50% of their wages taken in tax.I've never been jealous of what another person has or earns.If they work for their money then the tax should be the same for everyone.:D:D

G

·

Mark
Ill second (or rather third..whatever :D) that!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i think it depends on what they do. if they are clearly overpaid. im thinking famous ppl (footballers!!!) then they should pay more tax, particually if they are arrogant, greedy and nasty, i think if they are nice people who are decent and hardworking they deserve that money but if they dont need it the least they could do is share it around or donate it to charities. if you dont need it whats the point in having it???

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Income Tax rates and taxable bands 2009-10 Basic rate: 20% £0-£37,400. Higher rate: 40% Over £37,400
Figures from the HM revenue site.

You don't pay 50% of your whole earnings.

AS you can see from this table you currently pay 20% on the first £37400 and then 40% on earnings over £374000.

I'm not really bothered as I don't earn more than £37400

·
Registered
801 Posts

Mark
I do agree that the hand outs shouldn't be given out so much, and should be for less! Too many people sit at home and get everything give to them (I am not on about the people that cannot work, or are trying to get jobs!) People that work hard, wether on a high wage or not, get punished and don't get enough help when its needed!!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I think there are to many fat cats in high places, that stand on the shoulders of others hard work then reap in all the benifits,

But then there are those people who work really hard to get to a place of comfort, why should they have to pay

Em

·
Registered
776 Posts
i think it depends on what they do. if they are clearly overpaid. im thinking famous ppl (footballers!!!) then they should pay more tax, particually if they are arrogant, greedy and nasty, i think if they are nice people who are decent and hardworking they deserve that money but if they dont need it the least they could do is share it around or donate it to charities. if you dont need it whats the point in having it???
I also agree with this about footballers etc...wayyyyy over paid! :D

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

AS you can see from this table you currently pay 20% on the first £37400 and then 40% on earnings over £374000.

I am sure that the 50% tax will be applicable some time soon - it was announced at the last budget.

·
Administrator
3,062 Posts
If the government could somehow encourage people who dont work (those who choose not to work) to get jobs, maybe by giving them less handouts. The government would then not need to pay out as much, so could lower the tax levels for everyone who works. I do however agree that higher earners should pay slightly higher tax than lower earners. The problem comes when the goverment uses our money and wastes it on people who cant be arsed to work, and also wastes it on their own bl**dy expenses.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I am sure that the 50% tax will be applicable some time soon - it was announced at the last budget.
Yes your right - Income tax rate on those earning more than £150,000 to increase from 45% to 50% from April next year, a year earlier than planned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't think they pay 50% on their whole earnings.... Like the rest of us they get their tax-free allowance, then pay 20% on earnings on the next £40,000 or so then 40 % up to £150,000 and 50% on money earned over that. We should also remember that these high earners can afford to pay accountants to find every loophole that exists in the system.
I remember reading a few years ago that one of the highest earners in the country (the man behind tetrapak i think) was paying a ridiculously small amount of tax because of the loopholes in the system.
If we could close them up surely we could all pay less tax?

G

·

Lets face it at £37400 you are not really a high earner :(

·
Registered
801 Posts
If the government could somehow encourage people who dont work (those who choose not to work) to get jobs, maybe by giving them less handouts. The government would then not need to pay out as much, so could lower the tax levels for everyone who works. I do however agree that higher earners should pay slightly higher tax than lower earners. The problem comes when the goverment uses our money and wastes it on people who cant be arsed to work, and also wastes it on their own bl**dy expenses.
Completley agree!! :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.