Is It Ever Right To Buy a Puppy at Christmas?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CatwalkPets, Nov 9, 2017.

?

Is it right to buy a puppy as a Christmas present

1. Yes

17.9%
  2. No

59.0%
  3. Other

23.1%
  1. CatwalkPets

CatwalkPets PetForums Newbie

Recently, we wrote a blog about 'things to consider when buying a dog for Christmas' on our Catwalk Pets website.

Now we want to know you think, as dog owners yourselves!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay ALL the long snooters

Getting a dog specifically as a Christmas present, no. Especially for a child.
    Getting a dog when you are fully willing and prepared to have one and everything it entails, that just happens to be occurring around christmas time, fine.

It entirely depends on the household and people involved though, really.
    Christmas day, if you're having lots of people round, going visiting, loads of hustle and bustle, stress, noise, excitement etc... thats obviously not a great place to have a brand new puppy.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That is two different questions, your title is 'is it ever right to buy a puppy at Christmas and your poll qualifies it as a Christmas present so cannot really reply to the poll.

Christmas can be a great time to get your puppy if you have 2 weeks off work and do not have a busy big family Christmas or it can be a stupid time if you are rushed off your feet with preparations and people in and out of the house all the time. As a Christmas present, all depends if it is a planned puppy and the person it is for has chosen the puppy. A surprise present could be a disaster.

CatwalkPets, Nettles, lorilu and 12 others like this.
  4. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Depends

If the puppy is brought for responsible owners who will look after him/her properly then that's fine. Also they should have done all the research/preparation that comes with getting a puppy and be fully prepared.

However just as an impulse buy for Christmas then no that's not ok as in these cases there is the whole joy of omg cute puppy! but then once they realise how much work puppies actually are the novelty wears off and often they are abandoned or dumped in rescue centres :(

This above will be why its advised against, because the majority of people do exactly that.

5. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

As breeders can't control when their bitch comes into season, there will be times when even the best of breeders will have Christmas puppies although most of them will keep the puppies on until after Christmas.
    Buying a puppy as a surprise present for anybody is a no no as far as I'm concerned, particularly for a child.
    If the new owners are having a reasonably quiet Christmas and are more experienced, then that's not so bad.

CatwalkPets, Nettles, Cleo38 and 7 others like this.
  6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We brought our pups home early in the November - they were still piddling everywhere at Chrismas which is not ideal when you have a houseful for dinner!

Not to mention pups getting too excited causing extra puddles, because people kept fussing them, or getting in the way everytime you open the oven to check on the food.

My next puppy(s) will be summer ones - so much easier with housetraining, than standing outside in your pajama's in the bitter cold/rain trying to encourage puppies who dont want to be outside either in that weather.

#6 Westie Mum, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

Depends so much on circumstances. I bought my ten-year-old autistic son a puppy for Christmas twenty years ago. We already had dogs whom he loved, so we knew he would be good with one of his own. My husband and I both worked from home, so there was no problem settling a puppy in, and we always had very quiet Christmases, so no disruption. We actually collected the puppy three or four weeks before Christmas Day, because that was when she was ready.

My son and his Christmas puppy were inseparable throughout her life. The only thing to regret was that she eventually died of old age, and we were all heartbroken.

8. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Depends on the circumstances. Now if my husband were to buy me a puppy for Christmas next year I would be thrilled as long as he got the puppy from one of the two breeders I have on my perfect choice list.
    We are middle-aged with a grown-up son and have very quiet Christmases. I would prefer a summer puppy though because sitting outside at 3 am toilet training in the middle of winter sounds like hell.

10. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

If you have planned and Christmas is the best time then ok... If it suits your lifestyle to get a dog at that time fine , if you have a house full of people and only 3 days off work then of course not.
    I got Oscar as a birthday gift. Not because of some silly whim but OH was working away a lot and came home for my birthday, we were in bed when we heard someone going through out cupboards downstairs...
    We jumped up and they ran off but OH said I don't care if youre ready or not (Max had only died 4 months earlier) we are getting another dog.. You need one. So instead of a normal gift we got Oscar from the rescue.
    The thing was we had a house and a routine set up to receive a dog, we were used to having a dog, I had the time for a dog...The timing was not important.

CatwalkPets, LinznMilly and Sproglet like this.
  11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I answered 'NO' on the poll.
    But that doesn't mean that if you are fully prepared and the breeder just happens to have a Xmas litter that it's a bad idea.
    Buying a cute puppy for a child who will lose interest in a week however is not a good idea, Xmas time or not.

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

For Joe Public my response is a resounding 'NO'.

For actual dog people who know what they're doing & are fully prepared, then possibly.

I'd be interested to hear the OP's opinions, especially as they are a pet shop that sells puppies......

13. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Really? FGS that's not good :(

14. BlueJay

BlueJay ALL the long snooters

Things To Consider When Buying a Dog For Christmas

1) Don't buy puppies from shops...

15. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Or ever!

16. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

The "advice" for choosing a puppy doesn't once mention researching the breeders, quizzing them, asking them about health tests, or expecting to be quizzed by them, either. . . And the training/house training video . . . :rolleyes:

17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Def not as an impulse buy or a surprise present for someone. But if you are on a breeders list and your dog has pups and you happen to have alot of time available then then why not? (Im assuming though that a person would be prepared to give up 'xmas' that year and dedicate all their time and efforts to their new puppy!).

CatwalkPets and Sproglet like this.
  18. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Is this on their website/blog?

19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Website, yes.

20. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Thanks, may go have a look after tea then