Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is it best to say goodbye to them both?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Ratpack93, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM.

1. Ratpack93

Ratpack93 PetForums Newbie

Currently experiencing a bit of a dilemma and hoping some of you could help me make my mind up.

I have two rats, both elderly -nearly 3 years old.

The first has suffered from seizures due to a brain tumor for the last 6 months, the vet doesn't feel there is much more to be done to control them although he has had a course of medication, other than the seizures he is happy enough interacting with his cage mate and lives a life that we deemed happy enough for him. He is terrified of us since the seizures started and now no longer recognizes us, he runs away from us when we approach the cage, and anything out of the ordinary causes him to freeze in fear. When he has seizures he is at risk of hurting himself against the cage and toys. His cage mate often sits on him, which obviously means he is safe. Without his cage mate I feel his life would hold little enjoyment and alot of fear.

The second seems to have fallen victim to old age the last couple of days. He is listless and unresponsive,has spent the last 24 hours being syringe fed as he wont eat or drink, and realistically is not a comfortable boy. I have had him out feeding him baby food but it doesn't look like he can come back from whatever is ailing him this time.

I need to take the second one to the vet this evening as it's just not fair to let him linger on as he is, and my partner has broached the subject of whether we should let both of them go together. The rat with the seizures had a particularly strong bond with my partner before the seizures started so I know it's not an idea he is considering lightly.

Part of me thinks it would be kinder if they both went together - I don't see what sort of life the first will have without my gorgeous little boy there to entertain him, he wants nothing to do with people anymore and I have a feeling it wouldn't be long until he followed anyway.

Do you think it is kinder in this case to get them both put to sleep? Or should we be considering keeping the first rat as a lone boy until he deteriorates further? There is no way he would integrate with another rat considering the seizures.

2. Ratpack93

Prepping the boys for their vet trip now and feeling awful about it :(

I know the second boy can't be left as he is but really struggling with the decision for the other one. A big part of me says it's right to let him go as well, he isn't a well rat and I doubt he would cope alone, but a tiny voice keeps popping up saying what if.

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im so sorry you are in this position. I think its kinder to let both of them go, :(

kittih, picaresque and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I had a very similar situation to you with my last 2 rats. Beatrice and Ulrika they were sisters nearing 3 and declining in health. Bea had a tumour and I knew she didn't have long but I was totally shocked to come down one morning and find Ulrika dead in the cage:(

As I wasn't intending to have any more rats I decided to let her go as I didn't want to have her on her own and missing her sister.

So I would advise having them both pts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Ratpack93

Thank you both for the support, I'm so sorry you had to make that decision too.

It’s over. :( :(

Both boys went together. They were anaesthetised with gas, together in the box, before the final injection. We got to say goodbye while they slipped away. Weirdly comforting knowing that they never spent a moment apart. The vet is keeping them together for us and we are getting them cremated together.

The vet agreed it was the right course of action considering circumstances and our vet has always been brilliant with the boys especially when they need treatment. Despite not seeing many rats he was always researching and asking if he wasn't 100 percent sure on something and really took an interest in them.

We are both really sad to see them go and it's horrible having their cage there empty, I almost tried to go and feed them this morning. But me and my partner have had some good talks and we are both confident we chose the right thing for them which is the most important thing I guess, they aren't in pain or afraid anymore.

Lurcherlad and Animallover26 like this.
  6. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

So sorry you had to let them go but it was the last thing you could do for them.
    Though ratties are small, insignificant things,
    Their spirits are huge with magnificent wings.
    RIP rattie lads.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your losses, but what a brave loving decision you made for them. xx

#7 lorilu, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM
  8. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news however I'm sure that you did the right thing for both of them.

R I P Boys , you could not have had more caring owners.

9. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

What a tough decision that was, but it sounds like totally the right one. So sorry for your loss.xx

10. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

I am sorry to hear about your boys, but for what its worth, I think you did the right thing.
    Take care.

Rest In Peace boys.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry for your loss :(

Definitely the right thing to do though to let them go together imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice