Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is it attention seeking, cat mewing for food, is she fussy or hungry

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by louise birks, Feb 10, 2019.

1. louise birks

louise birks PetForums Newbie

i have a 14 year old torte. She was treated for hyperthyroidism with radation treatement. She has always been quite a stressy cat. She has the habit of mewing for food when i am preparing for our evening meal. I am home in and out during the day and she sleeps and is quite content. She has a range of dry food options available all the time. Her bowl is never empty. I top up daily. I feed her 1/4 large tin of wet cat food in the evening when my son is in bed when the house is quiet. The problem is that she constantly follows me from 4pm till 8pm for food. My son is bit nervous of her as she hisses at him. I got fed up of her pestering tonight and fed her at 4.30. She licked the jelly off the meat and then pestered me again until i finally sat down at 8.30. She then ate her food and curled up and went to sleep.
    I dont give in to her normally. She cant be hungry as she likes her dry food but prefers the wet.
    Any tips. I love her but my husband and son think she is a pest. I cuddle up with her in front on tv most nights. My son is 7 so its not a new thing in the house, but even as a kitten she has been quite needy at times.
    I have her checked at the vets anually and her weight was heavy as a young cat and she lost weight with the hyperthyroism but gained weight after treatment and has been a good healthy weight ever since.

Thank you

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@louise birks
    I would feed her wet food if she prefers that. It is healthier and cats are less likely to gain weight on wet food.
    It seems you are her main source or only source of attention, so she seeks that from you. She might just want a bit more fuss.
    Maybe she had a prior bad experiences with your son when he was younger.

3. louise birks

4. louise birks

I was told by the vet that mixture of both wet and dry was the best and wet food richer and can lead to overweight cats. She has enough wet food but she likes the juice gravy or jelly best and has that first then asks for more. I am home now and she is outside. She will probably come in as soon as the house fills up later. My son has always been nervous of her and they have both given each other a wide berth. But if he passes her when she is asking for food she will hiss. He has never touched her unless i have shown him to stroke her. I kept them apart when he was little. She has always been an anxious cat.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @Summercat wet food is far better for her and regardless of what your vet says wet food is not going to lead to her being overweight where as dry will .
    Have look at this link written by a vet who understands cat nutrition..............https://catinfo.org/

Just out of interest how long ago was your cat treated for hyperthyroidism .

6. louise birks

7. louise birks

She was diagnosed 4 years ago and finished treatment just over 3 years ago. I will take your advice and offer a bit more wet and drop the dry food off a bit. Just leave a bowl of premium dry in case she is hungry while I am not around

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Has there been any follow up ie re-testing of your cats T4 since she completed her treatment just to rule out any changes.
    I think you are wise to drop the dry food (much better for her health) and increase the wet especially as you say your cat prefers it anyway.
    TBH I wouldn't leave any down other than perhaps in a puzzle ball for her to work at getting it out.If you increase her wet meals to 3/4 times a day she will most likely not need it.

There are lots of cat owners out there who are battling to get their cats off dry and onto wet as they have become addicted to it.

#8 buffie, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. louise birks

She was treated in the October and then at 3 months and 6 months after. The heart rate and other checks have been fine since. She isn't hungry like she used to be just fussing. Like I said I put wet food down and 2 mins after she has picked off the jelly she is pestering for more. Then when I sit down an hour later she goes back and eats her food. I have her annual check next month. I just want to be clear before I go then I can ask any questions if necessary

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am not sure what your vet meant by "richer" as a description of wet cat food compared to dry food ? What makes a cat overweight is feeding a diet high in carbs, high in fats and high in calories. i.e. dry food. There is no question about this.

All dry food is much higher in carbohydrates and fats that any wet food, making dry food higher in calories. Dry food needs to be fed sparingly and strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines on the packet.i.e. one measured portion of dry food as a meal in itself, not in addition to wet food fed at the same time. Leaving a bowl of dry food down for snacking on (as some owners do) is the right route for leading to an overweight cat.

Cats fed mainly dry food will get peaks and troughs in their blood sugar levels, so they will get a rush of energy from the carbs and then feel very hungry a few hours later. What cats need for their optimum health is a diet high in meat protein, low in carbs with a moderate amount of fats (for energy). This means not only avoiding dry food (or seriously restricting it) but avoiding wet foods that contain grains, added sugars and vegetable protein (which is substituted in cheap food for meat protein as a way of keeping down costs).

If you feed a good quality diet, high in meat protein, your cat will digest her meals slowly and feel satisfied for longer. Here are some foods that are high in meat protein, low in carbs, and grain free:

Natures Menu, Country Hunter, HiLife Chicken Dinner, Meowing Heads, Wellness Core Tender Cuts, Little Big Paw and Wainwrights tins. (all from pet stores)

Or for better value for money, buy online from e.g. Zooplus. There is a pinned thread with information giving info about the carb levels of the good Zooplus foods:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

Choose foods that are no higher than 10% carbs and feed your 14 yr old cat 4 meals a day. Senior cats do better IME with more frequent meals. But I'd also get her T4 levels checked again as buffie advised, just to be sure she has not become hyperT again. .

gskinner123, TIGGS1 and sandy-cat like this.
  11. TIGGS1

TIGGS1 PetForums Member

Hi dry food is convenient, not messy, does not smell, but really is it benifical for the cat? cats tend to have a low thirst drive compared to some animals
    And because cats naturally produce highly concentrated urine “ by them not having enough water we're setting them up for urinary tract problems when their diet is low in liquids.”
    Most canned food are high in water, where as dry food is is low or none at all water. That's why “canned food does a much better job of keeping your cat well-hydrated,” so waterl is vital, for cats as well as people. So despite popular belief and orgnisations trying to sell us dry food wet food is much better.

By giving your cat wet food it will fill him up better and as most cats wont over eat he be ok but you can lesson his portions if needed and feeding him small potains instead but as chill mentioned look for food low in carbs and sugar

Try feeding him small meals to satisfy him instead of one big meal or accordingly to the clock cause when you think about it in the wild cats eat when they are hungry not according to the clock so why should domestic cats be any different ?So give him more wet food instead of dry

If he leaves some food does it really matter? remember a happy cat is a satisfied cat
    Take care tiggs

#11 TIGGS1, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice