Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it at all possible...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Oct 17, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I know some of you will be rolling your eyes at this post :eek: and I'm sorry about that. But it's just something that's bugging me...

Is it at all possible that a raw diet could cause skin issues? I know it's supposed to be the other way around, but it is possible?

Kenzie started scratching about the same time we started raw. I've got it more or less under control now with coconut oil, but she still scratches a little bit and there's a new patch where she's been chewing her fur (the other patches where she did that before Coconut Oil have cleared up and the fur is growing back.

Initially I thought it was the chicken causing the reaction, but she kept scratching on lamb and turkey, so I assumed environmental.

HOWEVER...

When Kenzie was on Ziwipeak (dried raw) she was constantly affected by a touch of lip pyoderma. When I stopped ZP and changed to Orijin, it completely cleared up, much to my delight and surprise. She's been on raw for the past 6-odd weeks and in the last couple of weeks it's come back. Yes it could just be a coincidence, but why would it go away and then come back?

She's on mainly lamb, with rabbit and a bit of wallaby. I stopped the chicken in case it wasn't helping the matter, and she's always loose on turkey.

By all means tell me I'm an idiot, but I just thought I should ask.

2. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

She could be allergic to one of the protein sources. Have you noticed if she is scratching more intensely when she gets chicken, beef or some other meat?

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Deary me what a nightmare for you and Kenzie.

I dont have any ideas I'm afraid but can imagine you just want to feed her something that she can accept without issues.

Something that just sprung to mind - is the Pyoderma a yeast infection? If so it could be that the yeast levels in her body have increased causing the Pyoderma to return and it could be effecting her skin as well. Does she still have her ACV?

Excuse my ramblings, typing my thoughts probably not a good idea :rolleyes::D:D

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

It's not a silly question and potentially it could be due to an intolerance of something. Doesn't have to be an allergy directly, just something enough to knock her system out of whack enough for something else to affect her.

5. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

It's possible if there's something that she is intolerant too

How did you introduce the different protein sources (ie did you start with something like chicken, feed for several weeks and then introduce another & do the same and then another - or were most introduced quite quickly)?

If quite quickly, it might be an idea to go back to basics and feed only one thing, see if it makes any difference - if good, try adding another ... leaving it ... then adding another if OK

If not OK with the 1st one - try another etc etc

It might take a while (as you need to allow enough time to allow things to settle if something has upset her / she's itchy) but will be worth it

Unfortunately you can also get combination intolerance (eg food a, b and c might all be OK if fed separately, a & c could be OK fed together and a & b or b & c might be OK - but if you feed a b & c together they could cause a reaction)

Also try a diary (I know it might be a pain to start with but you do get used to it) and write down everything she eats but also where you walk (ie on sand one day, in the woods another, farmers field next, on tarmac, on concrete etc etc) as it could also be something like that

It's very frustrating so you have my sympathies (and Kenzie) and fingers crossed you find the culprit soon

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well that's the thing - we started on chicken for two weeks and she was scratching. Ditched the chicken and was on lamb for two weeks - scratching. Ditched the lamb and did turkey for two weeks - scratching. I assume it's pretty unlikely she's allergic to chicken AND lamb AND turkey. Which is why I assumed environmental. But now with the pyoderma thing I just don't know.

I have no idea what the pyoderma is from. I think a vet once gave her something for it and it cleared up for a while, but as I say it's been constant for ages, except when she was on Orijin.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible she has an intolerance to raw itself? Orijin is chicken based, so could she be intolerant to raw chicken but ok with cooked?

Thanks, I like the idea of a diary. I fed those three meats (chicken, lamb and turkey) completely separately for around two weeks each so it can't be combination intolerance, but that's really interesting to know that could happen.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dogs can be intolerant to certain meat proteins too, so it may not be the fact its raw just the meats she is being given.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

But she was fine on Orijen which has chicken as the first ingredient, yet itching on raw chicken. And she had lip pyoderma on dried raw and 'real' raw, yet it went away on Orijen.

I'm going to stick her on kibble for a week or two and see what happens - I think it's the only way to put my mind at rest. I really do want to feed raw (especially as I have a freezer full of it!) but I want to be 100% sure that it's the best thing for MY dog.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

9. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Its possible that she is intolerant to a certain meat, my gingers don't get on with beef at all. They don't have skin problems but it gives them tummy issues which make them pant and pace and have the most foul breath - sort of an indigestion thing. It has only ever happened when I've given them beef so I steer clear of it now.

It wasn't until reading through Ian Billinghurts book Give Your Dog A Bone that I learned all meats contain different things so, as Goblin said, something could put her out of whack and allow something else to take hold. Unless you know what that 'something' is you'll be in the dark unfortunately. A diary is a great idea though.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In your situation then that's what I would do, if she stops or is a lot better then there is your answer perhaps, all dogs are different after all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice