Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it aggression ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JennieJet, Jun 30, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Please help....I am a little worried ( my husband says there is nothing to worry about but as I am new to puppies I thought I would double check ) I have a 15 week old black female labrador and when she does something wrong I will tell her no. Yesterday she dived into the paddling pool and started biting my 3 year old so I pulled her out and said no .....what followed scared me........ she went down low...her front legs were right down and her bum was in the air and she was barking, growling and actually snarling at me ...when I went to approach her to say no to that behaviour she never went for me but just darted around keeping in the same position.........this went on for about 5 mins or so until I was able to grab her collar and say no again and she then just laid down on her back .......is this nasty aggressive behavoiur or as my hubby said " just playing" ???? it was quite scary especially with the snarling etc !!! ( just scared as I dont want her to ever attack the children etc )

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Havent got time to type a full answer, but it is just play and perfectly normal.

Aggression in a dog so young is extremely rare.

3. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

That's a play bow - elbows on the floor and bum in the air. She was trying to initiate play

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

as other say just play. Not good though if you were trying to tell her off, you need to get training her and understanding her behaviour a bit better before she gets out of control. Are there any puppy classes being held around you.

5. JennieJet

THANK GOD FOR THAT.......What do I do next time she does it ?? Do I ignore her or play with her ? thanks

6. rona

rona Guest

That is up to you, you mustn't let her dictate when she behaves like this, otherwise she will do it at the inopportune moments.
    By all means play sometimes, but not every time, so that she knows that it is you that decides :)

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Can you take her to puppy classes. You obviously have been thrown in at the deep end (or jumped ;) ) and I think you would really benefit from someone showing you how to train her rather than getting advice on a forum. Sorry, didn't mean that the way it sounded - obviously come on the forum, but you really need someone to see how you are reacting and show you how you should be reacting.

Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK

She doesn't know she's doing anything wrong, nor will she understand what 'no' means.

This is a play bow - bless her she is trying to play not scare you.

Ok, please don't think I'm getting at you as I'm not and clearly you don't know how to react, but this is so negative and not the way to train a puppy. For a start if you start grabbing her collar, you may make her hand shy - she will almost certainly try to mouth you, you in turn will probably think she is trying to bite you... which in a way she is, but it's the only way she knows how to react... it is easy to see how the vicious circle starts. Training should be about praising the good and ignoring the bad, not constantly saying no to what you don't want them to do. Please take her along to puppy classes - you will both benefit from learning the positive way.

#7 Dundee, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. JennieJet

thanks I am on a waiting list for puppy classes.....but surely when she is naughty , eg when she was in the paddling pool biting my 3 year old I must remove her , I cannot leave her there...so I must take hold of her collar and move her out or is there a different way ?

9. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Of course you should remove her, but you really need to be supervising any interaction with the children. You can pick her up, call her to you (how is your recall?), distract her or (and you will need to supervise this carefully) you could put a short lead on her when she is playing with your 3 year old and use that. I'm not saying no one should ever touch their dog's collar, but you sound a little stressed and frightened by the situation and the negative approach and grabbing her collar could cause more problems. If she's lying on her back she's submitting to you - she's not being aggressive or pushy - she's simply playing the way puppies play. She doesn't yet understand what you want from her. By praising good behaviour, managing the situation or ignoring her when she displays normal puppy behaviour but which is unacceptable in a home environment then you will make training a much more pleasureable experience for both of you, she will trust you more, and you will make better progress.

How long do you have to wait for puppy classes?

Ideally she should have started already.

have a look here - there is a list of trainers by area

Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK

PS - she is not being naughty - this is how she would play with her littermates - she won't automatically know that she shouldn't which is why interaction between young children and puppies should be carefully supervised.

#9 Dundee, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  10. JennieJet

thanks Dundee....please dont worry, I am not stressed I promise you....I am always with her when she is with my 3 year old as she is always biting her etc ...... I have to wait until august for a puppy class in my area :( her recall training is going very well unless she really really gets distracted....( with the paddling pool incident no amount of calling would get her out..so i had to pick her up and get her out and then when I put her down was when she went into that strange mood that I have never seen before and as I am new to this I was just concerned).... apart from that she is doing so well xx

11. rona

rona Guest

She was probably just very excited by the water :D

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I agree with Rona - most labradors love water and swimming. It causes even more excitement than normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice