Is it a welfare issue?

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by u8myufo, Jan 18, 2018.

1. u8myufo

u8myufo PetForums Newbie

I’ve been reading the forum for a while and decided to join, particularly as I am hoping for some advice.

There are 3 ponies in fields near where I live and I am concerned about them. However I will say straight off, I do not know anything about horses, I have never owned one all I know is I like them!

Things that concern me are.
    1. They have no bedding in their stables and they are just sleeping on layers and layers of their own muck
    2. They have no hayracks
    3. They had no water up until a week ago which is when I phoned the owners
    4. Their field is basically mud with barely any grass
    5. They are very dirty and their hip bones protrude
    6. I have never seen anybody go to them and do any maintainence ever

Recently (week ago) one escaped and was heading down towards a main A road. I managed to usher it back into its field. This prompted me to go up and have a look at their stabling. I was horrified! There was a dead foal, which looked like possibly it was stillborn or something, just lying there in the stable. The owners as it turned out were not even aware that one of them was pregnant.

My partner phoned the owners who live locally and explained that we were worried about the ponies. The owners son turned up, removed (or so I thought) the dead foal, sprinkled some hay onto the floor, and took away the pony that had foaled leaving the other three. Meanwhile I have been visiting with hay for them which I bought myself. They are always desperate for something to eat.

Nobody has been up there since, and given that it was a week ago I thought I would go up there to see if anyone had cleaned out the stables for them because a week is a reasonable time in which to get things sorted or at least begin to. They haven’t! Also, I find that they just dumped the dead foal in a plastic bucket which has now filled with rain water.

Sorry for the war and peace posting here but I am still concerned, but not being knowledgeable about ponies I don’t know whether I am just interfering and worrying un-justifiably (my heart tells me it is jusifiable though).

There are no shovels, shavings or hay otherwise I would have cleaned the stables out myself. I am happy to do this if the owner supplies me with the equipment but it still doesn’t solve the fundamental no grass issue.

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Phone the rspca, you don't have to give your name. This doesn't sound good at all

Sproglet likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree phone the Rspca. Tell them about the dead goal and the condition of the horses and their conditions. Make it clear you have given them some food but there was none there before that. If they think someone is feeding them regularly even if it's not the owners they may not act as quickly.

Sproglet likes this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Yes, this is clearly a welfare issue.

Horses can Winter out, so long as they're well fed.

You should not be able to see the hip bones and the dead foal is a disgraceful state of affairs.

I would phone the RSPCA and the ILPH.

kittih likes this.
  5. u8myufo

u8myufo PetForums Newbie

Thanks both, I just wanted to make sure I’m not overreacting. To me all these things scream of neglect but I am not an expert in horse care. I am going to have to steel myself and notify them I think. It will be obvious that its me of course because I am the only one who has stuck my nose in, but I can’t just let them starve and become really unwell. What’s frustrating is that the owner is very wealthy. So it isn’t down to not having the money to care for them properly. Poor little things. Minus 2 tonight and currently hailing as well!

kittih likes this.
  6. u8myufo

u8myufo PetForums Newbie

Thank you. Going off to google the ILPH now

7. Lovemydoodle

Lovemydoodle PetForums Member

hi hope they got this sorted out now but i would have contacted world horse welfare instead they are very quick at dealing with these issues and wont put a healthy horse down if they can treat it ..please let me know the current situation

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The BHS also can be very helpful.