Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it a welfare issue?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jun 3, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

Many times when walking in the hot weather, I come across people who do not take water on a walk and will not allow there dogs into water, even at the canal, which is clean.
    I feel so sorry for the dogs :(
    I actually saw a poor dog drinking from a disgusting puddle on the pavement yesterday, it was so desperate for a drink :(
    Why do people do it?

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

No idea. I encourage Ollie to drink regularly through the walk. I either take a water bottle and bowl with me or I go to a place that has a lake so he can drink from it.

Also Ollie drinks from dirty puddles on the pavement, even if he's had a drink. He prefers rainwater to tap water, so given the opportunity, he will drink from puddles and lakes, rather than a bowl of clean tap water.

3. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I try to walk where there is water - only problem is now the rivers/ponds are drying up! got a couple of those funny bottles with drinking bowls attached so will have to start getting those out ... Can't walk far at teh moment anyway with Ozzy, but in a few months will start the walking again.

And the last time I took mine and my friend's dogs to the beach, they were all projectile vomiting in the back of the car - sea water obviously doesn't agree with them!
    C X

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I have pugs and pug crosses and they seem to over heat quicker then a dog with a long muzzle!! So I take my waterbottle that has a fixture which folds out into a little trough and a material folding dish with a bottle of water. I don't let my dogs swim in the reservoirs as I can't swim and they're very deep too.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

TBH I'd let my dogs drink from a dirty puddle before a canal, god only know's what sitting at the bottom of that!!! :scared: Sidney runs down to the rock pools and submerges himself in them when he over heats I don't carry water on my walks cos frankly carrying enough water for six dogs would make me into a camel but I have bottles in the van if they want it...which they usually don't as they prefer to wait til they get home and drink from the rain water buckets. :thumbup:

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

As I can only fit so much in my bumbag (stylish eh?!) Toby has his bottle of water so it's me who is so thirsty by the end of our walk!

7. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

yeah same here, i was just gonna say that - the one near me is rank and the water doesnt seem to move and often seems stagnant in the side parts that are not the main through route, so no way would i let maggie go in there or drink from it!!!

maggie wouldnt go in it anyway as she only seems to like going in water if it has a bank that leads down into it like a river, lake or sea etc - so the canal with its sides wouldnt be of interest to her anyway.

she does always try to drink from puddles, which i dont mind so much dependant on where they are - if its just a puddle formed on a path from recent rainwater then i dont mind.

however, saying all that, i always have water with me, if not on my personally, then in the car for when we get back - or our favourite walk actually has drinking water round the park to drink from anyway.

8. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I take water with me on walks, but Phoenix HATES puddles and lakes and refuses to drink from anywhere but his bowl! - Snob.

So sometimes he is panting but yet he refuses to drink anything. The OH has to force him to drink from a lake.

So maybe the dog you saw was like Phoenix?

9. flufffluff39

I carry a rucsac! Much easier :)

10. rona

rona Guest

My local canal is lovely and clean :)

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

:eek: On days like this me and my OH take a litre bottle of water and buy more as and when we need it.

It's disgusting that people do this to their dogs :(

12. flufffluff39

What no shopping trolleys and such?? Thats not a proper canal :lol: The one near me is disgusting yuchhh!!

13. rona

rona Guest

Nope ours is lovely and full of wildlife :thumbup:

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: I know the one I had near where I lived in Cheshire was rank!!! You'd see lads fishing on it and 5 foot up the canal fish were floating on the top poisoned by whatever had been dumped in it!! :mad:

15. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

yeah ours is quite nice - loads of wildlife and forest on one side, park on the other - no rubbish or anything - its just that it doesnt seem to move if you know what i mean? so there are some little side bits which ducks seem to love and the reeds and stuff, but sometimes they smell stagnant and have lots of mozzies flying around, so it seems its just where it doesnt move along enough... would be nice if she could go in it cos we go there quite a lot :(

16. flufffluff39

Certain stretches of it are clean but where there a bridges or near the town thats where all the rubbish is.

17. rona

rona Guest

Ours is filled regularly from the adjacent river and is used by mainly electric boats, so hardly any pollution :thumbup:
    It also has several locks which gets used, so the water is always moving :)

18. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

I dutifully bought a plastic waterbottle and drinking bowl for Millie on our walks and poured it out for her when she looked hot and thirsty. She looked at me as if I was going to poison her! Thinking she didn't like plastic I bought one of the folding cloth type ones and got the same result. So I took her metal water bowl, carted it around on a long walk and she still wouldn't drink on the walk! She waited until we got home or drank from the lake instead :rolleyes: There are some dogs that just won't drink while they are out. I still have water but leave it in the car now.:)

19. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Rupert tried drinking the water when I gave him a bath yesterday.

Stupid dog!

20. rona

rona Guest

I know, Muddy is like this, he has to be desperate to drink while he's out unless it's from a puddle, pond or stream.
    The difference is, we will let him in to cool off.
    Lots of people don't even seem to let their dogs anywhere near water :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice