Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Is he old enough to be capable?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by peppapug, Jul 2, 2009.


  1. peppapug

    peppapug PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2008
    Messages:
    613
    Likes Received:
    11
    I think i know the answer but....

    My girl has come into season today. Her son is 23 weeks old. He has never humped her or anything else nor is he showing any interest in her. i was prepared to send him away but i feel a little reluctant when he clearly has no idea whats going on.
    i am sure he could be capable and may be when she stops bleeding and is keen he may be too. Should i ship him out now or would it be ok to wait a week or so?

    I will miss my boy :(
     
  2. Dundee

    Dundee Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    Messages:
    2,256
    Likes Received:
    187
    There would be no point in rushing to get him neutered if she has just come into season as they are capable of siring a litter for some time afterwards (there has been a case of 5 months afterwards).

    You will need to make sure they are separated - and yes, he will be more than capable - don't be fooled that he isn't showing any interest.

    Edited to add - sorry I thought you wrote should I 'snip' him now LOL !
    I would tend to ship him out sooner rather than later.
     
    #2 Dundee, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. peppapug

    peppapug PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2008
    Messages:
    613
    Likes Received:
    11
    No i wasnt intending on getting him neutured unless there is a reason too. Mum pug is getting spayed as soon as this season is over but the vet wouldnt do it until she had had a season after the litter.

    She stood on day 18 last season when she went to stud. Could i wait 10 days before i send him to relatives as he isnt showing interest and she wouldnt stand anyway or is it best to have him out the entire 3 week season?

    I have been dreading this situation!
     
  4. Dundee

    Dundee Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    Messages:
    2,256
    Likes Received:
    187
    The problem is they don't always come in the same day each season.

    The risk is for you to weigh up - can you keep them separated until he is sent away? Do you really want him to be introduced to an in season bitch at this tender age due to the change in behaviour it may kick off? If the only danger was an ordinary accidental mating, then it may be ok to delay, but as this is a mother and son then I wouldn't risk it - but that's just my opinion.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice