UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking through Rusty's routine- he has to have blood tests this week as two of his lymph nodes are enlarged :(

He is very happy and lively and appears fine in himself but I was thinking he needs to eat an awful lot (well, what appears an awful lot!) to maintain weight.

He gets-
500g raw mince split into two meals
150ml goats milk
Salmon oil
200g raw chunk of something for desert (!)
200-500g for lunch (depends on what comes out the freezer!) x5 days a week

and on that he maintains a weight of 19.5g and I can still feel all his ribs and see the last few when he is sniffing.

He gets 1-2hrs of exercise off lead in the forest a day, maybe a bit longer and he runs around like a crazy thing :crazy:. At the weekends we go out for longer. He also does low impact agility twice a week.

Oh and he is 14months old now and entire :smile: He is never sick and has solid stools apart from once he has been running for a while...

Does this seem like an awful lot to you? I'd be interested to hear how much raw you feed compared to age and exercise :eek:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hmm, that does seem like a lot of food! I think my dog eats more than most dogs too, certainly more than the recommended 3 percent of his weight.
Sherlock weighs 13.6kg, is 18 months old and eats 500-600g raw meat a day, plus an egg and usually a pizzle or ear to chew. He has approx two hours of exercise a day. He is v slim with visible ribs.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
It's very subjective.

If he's maintaining a good weight then i don't see any problems. It does seem like a lot of food, but he may have a faster metabolism.

My 47kg ambull only needs about 500-600g a day to maintain his weight, which is less then your less then 20kg dog eats. He is well exercised and whatever but his metabolism has realllly slowed down.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
If he's maintaining weight and his stools are solid apart from during exercise then I don't think you have a problem. My Oscar (who is a couple of Kg lighter than your boy) would easily need to eat that much raw to maintain weight but his stools always loosened before I could get that much down him - and then he would lose more weight as it all went straight through! :rolleyes:

Oscar is also entire and MENTAL off-lead like your lad - they just burn up more energy.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
As per everyone else; if your boy is a good weight and is otherwise fit and stools are good I wouldn't worry. Kilo eats at a fair bit more than the raw guidelines say he should have (4 - 5% often); yesterday for instance he had around 2kg as he has had a very active week and has run around like mad for hours most days. If he gets too little he drops weight very fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.