Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is he drinking enough?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lauz_1982, May 22, 2010.

1. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Mac seems to pant a lot. I know it's their way of cooling down and there's been a few warm days recently but he pants even on the colder days. He is always on the go though being a border collie pup! I have checked his skin between his shoulder blades 'pinching' it upwards (gently) and it goes back so I know he is hydrated but he doesn't drink very often. I change the water all the time and make sure it's nice and cool and give him ice cubes/water in lolly moulds etc. Just worried he should drink more and the panting. Should I worry or am I being silly? He's happy enough and acting normal - little monkey!

Laura :)

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Same as my Toby, now he weather has warmed up I'm paranoid that he's over heating & not drinking enough. I'd be interested to know how much small/med/large dogs should be drinking

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

How long is a piece of string? My BC hardly ever drinks. I only see him have one drink a day, whereas Big Boy drinks a gallon (bit of exaggeration) every hour or so.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

My 2 collies also seem to pant winter and summer must be the breed. Plus they don't seem to drink a massive amount. Whereas my friends Lab seems to have to empty the water bowl.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think there is a condition Collie's can get whereby they over heat very quickly, but they usually just collapse after exercise!:rolleyes:
    Ive suddenly noticed more panting with my lot, I dont think I was as aware in colder months.

6. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your replies.

I haven't measured the actual amount and it's hard to tell as I empty and refill it loads over the day to make sure it's cool and fresh for him.

Hey Tanya, hope you are feeling better? I guess I just worry loads about him! Can't help it! lol!

lol! When he does take a drink he dribbles it everywhere often throwing his head upwards to make sure he's nice and soaked! Yuck! lol!

When he's had a longer walk, been to the park or fetching the ball in the garden etc he usually does just flop on the kitchen tiles or wood floor in the living room panting away.

I guess I'll just have to keep checking his gums are nice and pink and his skin is hydrated and giving him fresh water. As long as he drinks some and knows it's there then I won't worry too much - just keep an eye on him.

Thanks again!

Laura :)

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Aww. Thanks, still in hospital but have a bought a dongle so I can still talk to you all :thumbup:

8. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

my 7 week old BC pup drinks loads, i'm very proud of him. stops me fretting

put my mums dog is funny and last summers heat wave had me panicing

so- some apple juice in his water and he guzzeled it down. or frozen apple juice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice