Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is he bored/lonely?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Em&Ollie, May 27, 2010.

1. Em&Ollie

Em&Ollie PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I have a 7 1/2 month old kitten and we have decided to keep him indoors due to the location of our house/surroundings. He has lots of toys to play with during the day and full run of the house and we always play with him and give him lots of attention when we are home. My husband and I bot work full time so are out of the house for most of the day. Lately he just seems to be abit quiet and i'm worried that he's getting bored and lonely being on his own.

We are considering getting him a friend but I worry that they won't get on and he's such a good, lovely kitten that I don't want to upset him by bringing in another kitten that he doesn't like.

Has anyone got any suggestions of things which can entertain him while we are out or anything to stop him getting bored?

Many thanks in advance of your replies

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Obviously one never knows, but if you get another kitten then I don't see why you should have major issues in them becoming friends. I am all in favour of having two cats to keep each other company, in mischief and to cuddle up with.

While you ponder getting a friend, has he recently been neutered? Could he have quietened down because of that?

Hopefully someone will be along in a mo to tell you about an activity thingy you can get, where they need to chase a toy within a tunnel. I don't have one but I know others on here do!

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I got a second cat when my first cat was about 7 months old. They are best buddies now. Any integration takes a little time but he is still very young. I don't think my indoor cats would get as much exercise as they do now if they were on their own as they tend to play and chase with each other a lot. Lovely to watch.

4. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

I got a friend for my 'bored' cat
    they are not friends sadly but mostly tolerate each other and play occasionally

the thing is you really wont know how they will get on unless you try it

5. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

We had a neutered male at 13 months old when we got a 15 week old female kitten and they play for hours together now and wont be apart from one another.they aqre house cats and only go out in a run when the weather is good.

Attached Files:

6. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

Some shelters allow "home visits" where you put down a deposit and half-adopt a kitty for a week to 10 days to see if it gets along with your family and other pets. If it doesn't work out you return the kitty and get your money back, and if it does work out they keep the money and you go back to finalize the adoption. You should call and ask around to see if any shelters by you offer this.

7. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I got Misha when Indy was 7 months old and Misha was 10 weeks old...

After about 2-3 weeks of settle down time they became so close thaf for the rest of the 16 months we had Misha the two boys were almost never more than 4 feet apart.

Indy and Gypsy are taking longer to become close but Indy is 2 and Gypsy is 1 so both a little more set in their ways...

I would def recommend 2 if you have the space and money, especially as he's indoor only and you are out most of the day. The company will hopefully prevent behaviour issues cropping up later.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The only problem with that is 10 days is really not enough time for many cats to make an adjustment. It can take several months for cats to accept each other, and then go on to be devoted to each other all their lives.

Another cat is a great idea and there is plenty you can do to help the introductions go as smoothly as possible.

While you're thinking about it (second cat), can you put a bird feeder outside a window? That will give your boy something else to occupy his mind while you are gone.

But yes, I am always for bringing in another cat! :)

9. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

when we got oakley he was only 3 months old so had so much energy he played on his own happily and my oh was not working so at home alot. At about 7 months old when both me and my oh were working we thought he was getting lonely so we got another cat, dillon, he is 3 months younger than oakley, at first dillon was so shy and would hide all the time and they didnt get on like a house on fire say but they were not bad towards each other just kept thier distance. Now when i come home from work i find them on one of the beds all cuddled up against each other one using the other as a pillow and it is sooooo cute :) I would def recommend getting a second cat while yours is still young enough to hopefully happily accept another cat. It may take some time tho and that could be anything from a few weeks to a few months even over a year but you wont know until you do it. i hope you have fun looking for a new kitty and that there will be peace when it comes to introductions :) (sorry for the long post)

lorilu likes this.
  10. Em&Ollie

Hiya

Thank you all for your replies, we have been talking it over lots and have decieded to get another kitten. We are going to see a tabby girl tomorrow, she's only 5 weeks at the min so won't be ready to come home for a while, and possibly seeing a tabby and white girl who is available now.

When we get her we are going to keep her in the kitchen for a few days as its still kitten proofed from when we got Ollie and then brush each of them and pet them going from one to the other to swap the scents and then we'll try her in the carrier and let Ollie see her and see how things go. Is there anything else I can do to help the introductions?

Also my one concern still is that it will change Ollie's behaviour, I really don't want him to be loney or bored and as he's only 7 months now is probably the best time but I just don't want his behaviour to change as he is so loving. I just hope that they get on and are friends.

I'll keep you updated, but thank you again for all your replies its definatley made me think we are making the right decision.

11. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

maybe you could get a feliway plug in we got one just after we introduced our cats and we noticed a difference they were alot calmer.

12. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Feliway really helped Indy and Gypsy over their initial 3 weeks. It's not cheap but it's definately worth it.

13. Em&Ollie

Hi all,

Well we have rather a large update, we picked up little Molly this morning, she's tabby and white
    Very fluffy. She's alittle young at 8 weeks old I know, going to get her checked over at the vets in the
    Next few days.

We've put her in the kitchen with food and water, litter tray and Ollie's old bed but she's still fat aslepp in her carrier.

Ollie has been snifing under the door but doesn't seem too bothered and we've been giving him lots of fuss
    And playing fetch. She looks so tiny compared to him I hope he doesn't think she is a toy!

14. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

You could try the cat sitter dvd, my cat loves it, it's like catnip tv!:lol:

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new family member! Sounds like Ollie is going to love having a sister!

Regarding the names though, they, especially Ollie, may find it very confusing that their names sound so much alike.

(Ollie is neutered already, right?)

Be sure to get Molly a check up at the vet, and tested for FeLV/FIV before starting the integration. And then.....

.......let the fun begin!:D

16. Em&Ollie

Thanks, we've got her booked in Monday morning for a vet check then we'll
    sort her vaccinations out. Yes he was neautered at 5 1/2 months, we'll be getting her
    done too when she's old enough.

We did think that as they sound similar but we call Ollie Oliver most of the time which he responds
    To better sometimes so I hope it will be ok.

17. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

awwww congratulations :) i bet ollie will be so glad to have a sister to play with and cuddle up with :) i wish u all the best when introducing them.

18. Em&Ollie

Hi all,

We've started the introductions, we did lots of scent transfer, stroking/brushing both of them, letting Ollie in the kitchen while Molly was in the lounge so they could each get a smell of the other. Then we put her in her carrier in the lounge for Ollie to find, had lots of growling and hissing but his body language was good, no puffed bodies or tails, just lots of noise from both of them!

We tried again later that day and alot less noise from both, and Ollie just watched her fall asleep!

So we did this again yesterday morning but fed her in the carrier and put Ollie's food just in front a few feet back, and both ate (altho Ollie was looking at her the whole time!) didn't bother little miss hoover as nothing distracts her from her food! So as there was no more growling or hissing we let them together yesterday evening, he follows her around everywhere and will pat her on the head, no claws, and she sometimes just sits there and takes it or she hisses back at him, again no aggressive body language from him but she has started arching her back and puffing her tail when he does it.

This morning the both had breakfast in the kitchen, he kept checking where she was but then tucked in, no stary eyes this time!
    He likes to know where she is all the time, if she moves he follows. He sat down on the rug this morning, legs curled under him and shut his eyes, and she edged closer and closer to him trying to give him a kiss on the nose but once he saw where she was he swiped and chased her off. He is making lots of brrrring noises when she's around now and she was making little ones like squeaks this morning too when he was doing it.

We've separated them again while we are at work and will let them be together again this evening.

Sorry for the long post but does that all sound ok and normal? There hasn't been any fights yet, closest has been them both sat swatting at eachother with her hissing at him! I just don't know if this is good or not? I know its only been a few days and these things take along time but any advice would be great!

Thanks

#18 Em&Ollie, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  19. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

sounds like a good intro. My rule of thumb has been 'so long as there's no blood and they are willingly in the same room then all is well' and it seems to be working :p

20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yep, normal, in fact it sounds like it's going wonderfully, and they will be good friends very soon! Well done!

Brrring noises are friendly noises! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice