Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is garlic ok?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tasha15, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

i have read about putting chicken in garlic to make it more smelly but isnt garlic toxic to dogs or is a little ok?

2. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

not as far as i am concerned . garlic is used by holistic vets as a natural flea treatment and antioxident .... can be harmful to a pet as much as is for a human .... it needs huge quantities to be eaten to do some harm .
    heated garlic losses some of his proprieties but raw or dried keeps all the proprieties as Alicin if I remember correct witch is the healthy bit of the garlic

3. leashedForLife

hey, tasha! :--)

i;ve used minced raw-garlic for over 25-years, especially as a safe immune-booster + VERMIFUGE for debilitated
    animals - pups, senior animals of many species (wild rehab), kittens, etc.

any worms or worm-eggs are **viable** - they are alive + not dead, which makes them safer to expel,
    as it avoids the likelihood of GI-blockages with severe infestations, which can be fatal; i have the pup stool on paper,
    not grass or soil, to prevent any re-infestation or transmission to other animals; the paper goes direct to the trash.
    for kittens i line the litter-box, lift stools frequently, use shallow litter + replace it wholesale every 3 days,
    lifting liner + all out of the box; new liner, new shallow-layer of litter.

i also use organic-yogurt to help immune function, digestion + absorption of nutrients;
    probiotics to helps with all 3 of those, also; and digestive enzymes for better breakdown + uptake.

many of these animals were underage orphans, had traumatic physical injuries, or were very ill -
    starvation, malnutrition, or disease; i have yet to have an animal get sick from garlic.

with dogs i have used as much as a teaspoon (measured) per 20# of dog, in each of 2 meals per day;
    i START with a 1/4-tsp per meal, and slowly increase, but that is for expelling parasites -
    for maintenance i have used 1/2-tsp per 25# of dog, so my 80# Akita got 1.5-tsp per day, split between 2 meals.

hope this helps, hun :) see *juliette de bairacli-levy* OR *juliette levy*
    Amazon.ca: Juliette Levy: Books
    for more specific info on many herbs - thats the same author, full name + abbreviated modern-format.

cheers,
    --- terry

4. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

what does the # stand for is it weight?

5. leashedForLife

whoops!
    :eek: sorry hun, Yes - it is a numerical-notation for *pounds* so every pound is 16-ounces, an average-JRT is a 12# dog,
    an average F-Lab is about 60#, an average M-GSD is about 80#.
    a kilo = 2.2 pounds, so that 60# Lab would be approx 28-kg.

i apologize for the confusion,
    - terry

6. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

My dogs love garlic, especially garlic sausage.
    At puppy training class the guy running it recommended that we use it, dogs love the smell and the taste.

7. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

no worries :) I thought it was just not sure what weight ;)

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

My dogs all get a small garlic tablet once a day (once every other for the jrt and pup) and I've never had to de-flea or worm them. ;)

9. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

What a good idea! Never thought of trying garlic before. Picking up loads of hints and tips here!

Thanks again :)
    :thumbup:

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Sliced thin ham is great for training too, it stinks so they know you have it but it disappears in their mouth quickly so they don't become distracted during training by chewing on a treat! :thumbup:

11. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Good idea! We do find little treats are best because Monty always makes such a meal out of everything and has to stop and chew for ages otherwise! Not good on walks/training hehehe

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Does anyone use garlic capsules - if so what strength and how many do you give?

13. leashedForLife

i avoid salty human-type foods:
    pretzels, potato-chips (except UNsalted + baked - i get those for both the dogs + me), blue-cheeses which are saturated-FAT as well as salt, feta cheese ditto, and such items.

just cutting things into small-enuf pieces works well -
    i use skinless + boneless chicken-breast, string-cheese, tuna or salmon from a pouch or tin, freeze-dried lamb-lung, Wellness treats (from *mother hubbard* - venison, lamb, etc).

the Wellness treats are chips approx 1.25-inch by 3/4th inch; i CUT each with S/S scissors into ~ 9 to 12 pieces,
    which dogs are still perfectly happy to work for, and 6 of those tiny bits make a great jack-pot, fed one by one.

SIZE is not crucial for the dog - i give Newfies the same tiny-tidbit as a JRT-pup; QUALITY matters.
    i like to use hi-protein, low-carb, minimal processing, low-fat, low-salt.
    stinky is good...

cheers,
    --- terry

14. Taylors Petfoods

Taylors Petfoods PetForums Junior

I haven't used garlic capsules, just the tablets. You can also get liquid garlic made by a comany called 'denes'. You can spray it directly onto your pet or spray it on a comb and comb it into your pets fur.
    I hope this helps a little.

15. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I hardly think the tiny amount of ham used for training sessions would do much harm, when you consider the level of other processed rubbish that is pumped into most family pets in their daily manufactured foods. ;) As mine only eat raw meat I think I can afford them a fraction of salt in ham when training.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice