Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is choclate safe for rats?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by alan g a, Apr 8, 2011.

1. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

There seems to be some controversy as to wether or not choclate is safe for for rats. Some people say that choclate is poisonous to rats others disagree.:confused:
    What do you think.

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Chocolate is poisonous to rats, it's poisonous to us but we'd have to eat inordinate amounts to become poisoned. A rat could in theory eat enough chocolate to kill a dog and still be alright, but I wouldn't risk it.

Chocolate should never be fed to rats regularly, but can be used to aid breathing in an emergency, as in a single chocolate chip.
    IMO it's stupid to give sweets to animals, it's irresponsible as the sugar can wreck their delicate organs, they gain nothing from it, it does more harm than good.

Pets2luv.webs.com likes this.
  3. Pets2luv.webs.com

Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

I don't see any reason why you would want to give a rat chocolate ( or any animal for that matter).Its best to stick to thier usual diet why risk it? :confused:

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ive given my lot hamster choccy drops when they saw me feeding one to Darla and sat begging, they werent impressed so I havent bothered since, I wouldnt give them human chocoalte as theres no point, they love healthy treats.

5. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

My gang get dog chocolate buttons but not very often.

6. siberiankiss

siberiankiss PetForums Senior

Dog choc drops and small animal choc drops are made from chocolate substitutes (usually carob). They are not chocolate so are irrelevant to the question.

A small amount of dark chocolate can, as Argent said, help to alleviate respiratory problems in an emergency, but there's absolutely no reason to give them it otherwise - theobromine is toxic to all animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice