Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Is choclate safe for rats?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by alan g a, Apr 8, 2011.


  1. alan g a

    alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,530
    Likes Received:
    882
    There seems to be some controversy as to wether or not choclate is safe for for rats. Some people say that choclate is poisonous to rats others disagree.:confused:
    What do you think.
     
  2. Argent

    Argent PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2009
    Messages:
    4,256
    Likes Received:
    499
    Chocolate is poisonous to rats, it's poisonous to us but we'd have to eat inordinate amounts to become poisoned. A rat could in theory eat enough chocolate to kill a dog and still be alright, but I wouldn't risk it.

    Chocolate should never be fed to rats regularly, but can be used to aid breathing in an emergency, as in a single chocolate chip.
    IMO it's stupid to give sweets to animals, it's irresponsible as the sugar can wreck their delicate organs, they gain nothing from it, it does more harm than good.
     
    Pets2luv.webs.com likes this.
  3. Pets2luv.webs.com

    Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,210
    Likes Received:
    12
    I don't see any reason why you would want to give a rat chocolate ( or any animal for that matter).Its best to stick to thier usual diet why risk it? :confused:
     
  4. thedogsmother

    thedogsmother PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    20,846
    Likes Received:
    509
    Ive given my lot hamster choccy drops when they saw me feeding one to Darla and sat begging, they werent impressed so I havent bothered since, I wouldnt give them human chocoalte as theres no point, they love healthy treats.
     
  5. Petitepuppet

    Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    Messages:
    3,103
    Likes Received:
    20
    My gang get dog chocolate buttons but not very often.
     
  6. siberiankiss

    siberiankiss PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2010
    Messages:
    477
    Likes Received:
    14
    Dog choc drops and small animal choc drops are made from chocolate substitutes (usually carob). They are not chocolate so are irrelevant to the question.

    A small amount of dark chocolate can, as Argent said, help to alleviate respiratory problems in an emergency, but there's absolutely no reason to give them it otherwise - theobromine is toxic to all animals.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice