Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is cat delaying delivery?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Melissa3236, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Melissa3236

Melissa3236 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

First of all, I know I should have got my cat spayed. I know I'll get comments telling me this, but that won't help me to help my cat.

My cat is a house cat, however she got out one weekend. She disappeared for a few days. We searched everywhere for her and couldn't find her. We put posts on the community page for where we live, all resulted in nothing, then 4 days later she came home. Seemingly none the worse.

A couple of weeks later I noticed her pinking up, the over the subsequent weeks I noticed weight gain.

She is currently somewhere between 63 and 67 days, depending upon when she became pregnant.

Today is Monday. She has been showing nesting behaviour since Saturday evening. All yesterday she was looking to me for attention, I had read that cats will only give birth if they are given privacy so I tried to lead her to her birthing box and then kind of leave her to it.

She was happy and content in the birthing box, she was purring, but I could feel her uterine wall growing firm and then relaxing, kind of like braxton Hicks contractions in a human.

She doesn't seem distressed. She is eating fine and seems happy enough, but when I feel her uterus (very gently) it is obvious that the kittens have moved closer to the exit point. Also her vulva has softened and elongated. I have not noticed any milk from her nipples, but they are much bigger and she has lost the fur around them.

My question is, is she deliberately stopping the labour because she wants me to comfort her?

This didn't occur to me yesterday. I in fact was concerned that by being too close to hand I was delaying things.

I want my cat and her kittens to be OK. I'm looking for advice from people with experience please.

Thank you

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I doubt that she can deliberately delay labour but she may be happier with you staying with her. I never leave any of mine alone and have always been on hand in case of any problems.
    It is true that some cats prefer privacy and will get on with things on their own but not all cats are happy to do that. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on her, even from a distance.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Melissa3236

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm really concerned about my girl.

Yes, that's what I was doing, I'd get her settled, then leave her for about 15 to 20 mins at a time before checking on her,but she would just wander off and come to find me. I'm not sure if she is actually in the early stages of labour, but everything I have read indicates that. She's with my daughter today, but I'm planning on sitting with her all night when I get in from work.

4. lymorelynn

Staff Member

It does sound as if she is in the first stages of labour so I would advise your daughter to keep an eye on her throughout the day.
    It is something of a myth that cats are natural mothers and give birth easily. I hope there are no complications

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Whatever you do now, don't let her out until she is spayed. You don't want her having the kittens somewhere outside, you don't want her going out and not coming back to look after her kittens, and you most certainly don't want her coming back pregnant again - cats can easily conceive while feeding kittens, often as few as 2-3 weeks after delivery.

For future reference, all kittens not part of a registered breeding program should be spayed or castrated by 6 months at the latest, preferably at 4 months though unfortunately many UK vets won't do that.

And also for future reference, if an unsprayed female escapes and comes back after a few days, again unless she is part of a registered pedigree breeding program, she should be spayed ASAP. Implantation doesn't happen for 7-10 days. Whatever, waiting 'to see if she is pregnant' will almost always end up finding out she is.

Lots of good information here:
    https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens

And with my pedigree girls, I sleep in the living room with them at this stage. That's where I want them raising their kittens.

From the above link, make sure you read https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens/cat-birth-–-when-wait-and-when-worry.

Also make sure you have your vet's out of hours (OOH) number to hand, and you know where to go - many vets these days use an OOH service rather than do it at the surgery you know.

AmsMam, lorilu and Babyshoes like this.
  6. Melissa3236

Thankyou,

Yes. My daughter is sat with her. The cat seems more bonded with me than anyone else in the family so I think she will find me more of a comfort.

7. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Cats who are feral or semi-feral will want privacy, most girls who have a good relationship with their owner want them to be close for comfort and reassurance, and often help with the birth.

Keep a close eye on her as you're doing, it may be tomorrow rather than tonight so you may need to pull a sicky at work to stay with her

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

She clearly wants you to stay with her, as you’ve allowed her to get pregnant you need to do as she needs. Whether it’s 1 day or more.

lorilu, OrientalSlave and Rufus15 like this.
  9. OrientalSlave

That doesn't match my experience. Not got any with feral or semi-feral and I'm sure you're right about them, but several of my fosters (from back in the 1990s) that had hardly seen me before delivery wanted their paws held, and my own first breeding girl took great care with both her litters to have them when I wasn't around. One of her daughters didn't really want me around before, during or after either. Her daughter was happy to have me holding her paw and checking her kittens at all ages. They are all individuals.

However the OP has to be prepared to provide lots of company if that's what her cat wants, and to keep a surreptitious watch if she doesn't. A web cam is very useful for that.

lymorelynn likes this.
  10. Rufus15

You will note I said most. Not all.

11. OrientalSlave

In my personal experience some, not most. Maybe 50/50.

12. Rufus15

I think your experience is the exception, not the rule.

13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

With the best will in the world, you breed LH cats. SH are very different in temperament. I don't think it's fair to criticize the experience of another breeder, just because it doesn't match your own. All of my girls want to be held and comforted, but it doesn't mean that if they don't, they must have a bad relationship with their owner...

OrientalSlave likes this.
  14. OrientalSlave

It is, nevertheless, my experience, over some half-dozen moggie fosters, and 6 pedigree litters I have bred.

15. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Can we not bicker over experience here please.
    @Melissa3236 you need to be guided by your girl who does seem to want you with her.

AmsMam, Raggie08, Matrod and 2 others like this.
  16. Melissa3236

Thank you everyone for your responses.

This evening she gave birth to 5 Beautiful, healthy kittens. She was amazing and I'm so proud of her. She did everything exactly as she should. She must have read all of the books too .

And of course once her kittens are rehome etc I will ensure she is spayed.

Thanks again.

lymorelynn likes this.
  17. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

Please remember to keep her in until she has been spayed, she can get pregnant again very soon. I’m glad all went well with the birth x

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Please spay and neuter the kittens before they go to homes. Break the cycle, now.

#18 lorilu, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    NFC slave, spotty cats and Rufus15 like this.
  19. Rufus15

She can be neutered with her kittens, before they go to new homes

lorilu, spotty cats and Raggie08 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice