Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is bad wet food better than good dry food?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Fiona Higgott, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Fiona Higgott

Fiona Higgott PetForums Newbie

Morning all. Sorry if this has been asked before. I had a quick search but couldn’t find anything specifically on this point.

My 3 year old typical moggy cat Winston used to be fed exclusively wet food (Bozita and Grau) and then just stopped eating it. I must have tried 10-12 other varieties and the only wet he would eat was cheap, low meat content pouches. I have an environmental objection to using pouches long term as well as not liking the poor quality of the food.

So I started buying grain free dry food. Which he’s also ridiculously fussy about. The only ones he will consistently eat are Purizon and Applaws. He likes smaller kibbles so a lot of the fussiness stems from that (vet says no teeth problems or anything so no idea why he’s fussy about kibble size).

I know that wet is better than dry on the whole and understand the reasoning behind that. So my question is which of the bad scenarios are better, namely:

1. exclusively dry food with a decent protein percentage; or
    2. whatever wet food I can get him to eat, which knowing him will be low meat content rubbish?

He is a hunter and frequently catches mice etc and does actually eat them so he is getting food other than just what I give him I should mention in case that makes a difference to the responses.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Fiona

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It is generally considered that any wet food is better than dry food for the reasons you are aware of.
    Have you seen the sticky compiled by a forum member maybe it will give you some ideas of wet foods you could try him with.........
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

The fact that he finds his own food is probably one of the reasons he is being fussy about what he considers good enough quality ;)

KoolK, chillminx and Summercat like this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Fiona Higgott
    Hi,
    What about buying premade raw food or making your own food using an add in mix to make it complete. That can be a choice besides wet vs dry.

buffie and chillminx like this.
  4. Fiona Higgott

Thank you Buffie - I have seen those but good to have the reminder.

I wouldn’t mind him being fussy if he had good taste! I just worry about feeding him Felix type food which seems to be the wet food he likes. The actual meat content is practically non-existent

buffie likes this.
  5. Fiona Higgott

Sorry - I should have said that I did try him on raw food but he didn’t eat that either. I didn’t try for long as it’s expensive if it’s wasted but he seems very sceptical if he hasn’t caught it himself.

6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

What about Miamor Ragout Royal or Animonda pouches? I know you said you don't like pouches but if he is eatIng pouches anyway. Those are better quality and meat in gravy, so he may go for those. Probably similar to Felix but better.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You are correct that Felix isn't a great food but if you are going by the "4% meat" statement on the pack that is only the amount of the stated variety named ,IE tuna / chicken / beef etc it is actually better than that.
    I'm not the right person to explain ingredients as I am servant to the fussiest sod to wear a fur coat :rolleyes:.
    He has IBD so really should be eating far better quality food than he does , his favourite is Sheba , but in Sheba's defence he does well on it as do many IBD cats.

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Fiona Higgott - you are right that Felix AGAIL is not a top quality cat food and it does have a percentage of veg protein as a substitute for some of the meat. The makers declined to disclose to me exactly what percentage when I asked them, because they said it is "commercially sensitive information" which they do not share with the public! :rolleyes:

However the fact is that plenty of cats seem to thrive on Felix AGAIL probably because it contains the right amount of protein for a cat (albeit not all meat protein) the correct RDA of vitamins and minerals, and it is a wet food with a good amount of moisture.

I do understand you would rather your cat ate better quality foods, but as he is a very fussy cat and he likes the Felix, I think I would let him eat that and accept that as he loves to hunt he is bumping up his meat protein intake himself by a regular diet of prey.

My main concern with such an inveterate hunter cat would be keeping the intestinal parasites at bay. ;)

#8 chillminx, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    KoolK, Treaclesmum and buffie like this.
  9. Fiona Higgott

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe I just suck it up and feed him what he likes then!

He is regularly treated for worms / parasites just in case using something I can’t remember the name of but prescribed by my vet as good for hunters so hopefully that protects him as much as possible

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Tbh, I've found it's not worth battling with a fussy cat over food. It just seems to make them even more stubborn and determined IME., and ends up with both the cat and the owner being stressed.

The main thing is to have a cat eating a complete wet food diet with all the essential vitamins and minerals. In your boy's case you have the bonus of him also eating species-appropriate prey to top up his nutrient levels. :) It is what kept family cats healthy when I was a child, when there was not the huge choice of cat foods on the market as there is today.

The wormer your vet prescribes is probably Milbemax/Milpro - a very effective wormer. :)

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice