Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is anyones dog a twin?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, May 9, 2010.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Just thought i would ask this as ive not found twins in dogs all that common and did wonder if anyone has how similar are they. Molly is a twin, we knew the breeder a little but since we got molly we have become goos friends and walk them together most nights it amazing how alike they are to look at they are just about identical in looks but its the personality, behavior that amazes us they are just about carbon copies of each other they are both sociable dogs when they arnt been walked together but on the times they are together they have very little interest in other dogs they just play together, with the bottles they find or chase the ball they are both as competitive as each other as well.

The slight nervousness is the same, weeing with them both was always a problem would wee at practically everything and unlike our other dogs if they are nervous/scared at something they have to be left theres no bringing them round they will only do it in their own time, they both like to be near their owners have needed very little training its as if they were born trained:D its very interesting watching them its like seeing double.

2. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

hi hun Izzy was a twin one of the first 2 that were born.
    Izzy was tiny while her twin was huge!! Obviously ate her share :p
    They didn't look identical but that was when we picked Izzy up at 8 weeks, would be interesting to see if they were similar now.......:)

3. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Ripley is a twin - the breeder kept her twin.

4. haeveymolly

Ye the breeder my friend kept mollys twin thats why they get to go out together most nights so thats nice they really have got a special bond

5. haeveymolly

No well when i researched twins in dogs it did say they arnt normally the same in looks, ime not sure if ive got it the right way round but it said its usually characteristics then behaviour or visa versa.

6. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

ok so here goes......... How do you know if dogs are twins? They dont always look the same, so when a breeder says twins how do they know :eek::eek::D

7. haeveymolly

They share the same sack,and placenta dont have to be identical like some human twins, but mine and her twin are identical only molly is thinner.

#7 haeveymolly, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  8. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

ohhhh right common sense really doh lol, :eek::D

9. haeveymolly

Well i didnt know dogs had twins i just thought multiple births was a "litter" until i researched it when we got molly and knew she was a twin, they do fasinate me when they are together, some just dont look like each other they can also be different colours, but molly and holly are the same colour, very similar markings and as ive said before their habits and mannerisms are just the same.

10. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

and linking names! i love it :)

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I had never heard this terminology. In species (such as humans, horses, cattle) where multiple births are not the norm, ie single babies rather than a litter - a twin is any two young born in the same pregnancy regardless of if they share a placenta. As lots of puppies will be born either with someone watching who doesnt notice the relevance of a shared placenta or no one watching at all I would have thought that it was all a bit vague.

Incidentally if you have male and a female twin calves the female will be infertile and often have male sexual characteristics or be missing female ones (like no uterus) but the male will be perfectly normal. Just thought you might be interested. :lol:

12. haeveymolly

I know its lovely. We were walking during the winter and it was a little dark i shouted molly for her lead and i didnt realise holly came and i put the lead on her, karen (breeder, hollys owner) said "think you have the wrong dog dog":D bless her she was happy to come with me though, molly didnt look quite as amused as us. Everyone we see on a walk always say "i dont know how you tell then apart, then i start to point out the slight differences, but leave out the fact that i cant always tell.:D

13. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

How does that work? I mean in humans twins who share a placenta are usually identical twins i.e. one egg split, so they are genetically identical. So why aren't dog twins identical to look at?

If they are not identical twins then wouldn't that be the equivilent of human non-identical twins i.e. two babies (or puppies) that are no more similar than 'normal' siblings?

14. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Hmmm not sure but i would guess most puppy twins are non identical, but i have seen non identical twins look very alike(human that is)especially if they are the same sex, but would love to see if Izzy's twin looked anything like her now, just out of interest:D

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Owen was a twin his brother lives in Jersey. We met him at Crufts last year. They are very similar in looks but Sita is smaller built than Owen. The first time I saw Sita was a photo of him in Dog World I wondered why someone had put a photo of Owen in for.

Owen also throws twins we have the ASBO twins Amber and Simba who are ver alike in their looks there was also in the same litter the first 2 born again dog and bitch but again very simialar in looks.

We once confused a judge at a champ show when Owen his son Larrry and Sita's son were all in the same class standing in a line and looking like 3 peas in a pod.

The ASBO twins

[​IMG]

16. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I've found the answer as to why they may not look identical, dog marking are produced as random cells develop after conception.

Non-identical twins are no more likely to look alike than siblings conceived at different times. Non-identical twin are produced from two sperm + two eggs = two babies, genetically they don't share more DNA than other siblings

Identical twins however are one egg + sperm splitting after fertilisation, hence they share the same genetic code and will look identical (although there can be a few differences that develop after conception).

It's a subject close to my heart as I've been involved in some twin studies.

17. haeveymolly

I was going to say google twins in dogs:D it can be quite complicated and hard to explain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice