Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is anyone a Designer?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Paws&Claws, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Hey everyone :(
    Im trying to find a job in designer, im pretty open to learning new things and giving it ago but the only replies ive got for jobs so far are from games industry people saying i need more experience... but no ones giving me the chance to earn experience :(:(

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction of someone who can? x

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

A designer in what? Nuclear-powered rockets, never-ending gummy bears, or maybe cars that run off dog food? :D

3. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Any! :eek: mainly graphic designers/photoshop people/adobe people anything like that x

4. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

I manage a graphic design agency, what is it you want to know? :)

Where are you looking for jobs, and what area do you live?

5. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Im in west yorkshire but i can travel in my car :eek: im just looking for anything that will give me experience :( everywhere ive tried applying for asks for previous experience or they say im not experienced enough :(

I have no previous experience coz ive always been in education.. so im about to graduate and i need something to get me started x

6. London Dogwalker

Have you spoken to Connexions? They might be able to help you.

Wondering where else you can look for jobs at that level worth scouting round on the web

Design Forum Employment

Graphic Design Jobs for graphic designers - Design/Advertising

Creative review is a good place to look too, as you can then get details of comapnies.

Be prepared to start at the bottom in Graphic Design, and jobs are a bit thin on the ground right now. :frown:

Paws&Claws likes this.
  7. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Thats fine :eek: im a good coffee maker!
    Ill have a good look through, and more information or advise you can give would be very helpful :) thank u xx

8. London Dogwalker

Try and get experience anywhere you can! Go around locla businesses and ask if you can do any layout or logo work for them for free and use it in your portfolio. Church magazines, free sheets, school magazine, anything! :D

Do you know any web design? If you can hand code HTML and CSS it'd be a really good selling point as a designer.

Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more does a monthly service where you can access all their tutorials and it's not too expensive when you comapre it to the price of their online courses. :)

9. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

thanks,
    i dont know any code :( ive had limited experience with html, flash and director but thats it. Nothing that ever worked lol but enough to get a C on the module. Ill keep developing my portfolio but its annoying when no one gives u a chance for experience :( x

10. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

have a look at 'deviant art'.. there are one or two comp-based designers on there that have featured in big selling off-the-shelf web design magazines.. plus people who just sell their stuff via deviant art (ursulav for instance, who has just the most UNIQUE brain ever), it'll give you an idea of what you are up against.
    start putting your stuff on there as well as see what other people are up to to gauge your level... they will probably also be up for giving you advice and there are competitions and links to sponsors etc on there too that might be useful.

see about getting into college/training for coding and/or software packages

depending on what area you want to be a developer in, check out that industries 'inhouse' magazines, try the biggest library near you for those, as well as those off the shelf, if there is any.

see if anyone is offering internships/graduate placements.. try places like local print shops that also do designs for customers, while probably not what you want to do it will give you experience.. and money to gain further training at college.

are you just out of school, college or uni?

could you not move to northampt? it's quite cheap there, in comparison to oxford for instance lol.

12. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice :)

Im graduating from university in July, Results are released on the 16th june and im expecting 2:1 BA hons in computer game design.

Im an all round designer though so i dont have to be indefinately in the game business because that would be too close minded if u get what i mean?

Ive looked in the back of magazine, applied for jobs on job centre, emailed local games companies and started emailing print shop/graphic places.

Unfortunatly my family situation atm means i cant move :( im coming away from uni with god knows how much debt too :( x

13. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

well done :D

is it mostly student loan? if so.. forget about it.. it'll come out of your pay when you can afford it.. i wont' pay mine off ever.. it will automatically stop being taken from me when i reach 60 in under 30 years LMAO.... it's like a mortgage.. a necessary evil. ;)
    i also came away with a bit of personal debt..but again, necessary evil.

until you find something you can do don't not get a crappy job doing something that will do (shelf stacker etc lol, it's money! don't complain).

games graphics are all the rage just now so you'd have to be **** hot to even get a reply let alone an interview!

try looking at vehicle graphics companies (side of vans and busses etc), card companies (as you've mentioned i think), advertising agencies, check gumtree, if your in oxford check 'daily info', anything with a graphic on it look it up! websites for brands often have their designing companies names on their links.

go speak to your graduate job lot at your uni.. they're usually useless but they often have a jobs board or a list of companies to try locally.

check any cities where you have family/friends that would give you a room for a year or so ;)

have you tried games workshop, darkhorse/marvel comics? calender makers, ministry of sound and other record labels, go to local track days, sporting events, recruitment fairs etc

try thinking outside the box, look at anything as a possible opportunity to get in and even if it's not in a design area your insterested in you never know what might come out of it, or how interesting it will get.

where abouts you based?

14. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Welcome to the world of job experience...they tell you you have no experience...so how do you gain the experience....I heard that from countless sales managers over the years when applying for sales positions.

By the time you gain the necessary experience they'll tell you you're too old...:confused1:

15. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

LOL YEP, of course, they are the companies you find out later that you didn't want to work for anyway from someone that used to work there! :D

if they can't see your potential, don't wallow over it, find a better way to word things etc and see if you can learn from it.

16. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Ive just seen an opportunity to give little drawings to a company for greetings cards :eek: that sounds like a good start? place in manchester too

Im in huddersfield x

:lol: i no is so silly! x

17. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

hi claws ,
    19 years ago when My Oh finish the college he went for a job , on the interview the chap said to my Oh , well I cant see on your CV nothing other then u spent couple years in school ... he decided to work for himself , took him couple years to gain enough experience and just to be around to be noticed ( but then again there were other times ) any way over the years he has worked for himself and at one point after a shity partner left him with all most nothing ( small business partner ) had to go back in full time employment and he learn web design to be able to get a job .
    so Mr J did started with web design , then he expanded the area of expertise and learn video editing , motion graphics , web design but above al 3D is his love ....

then 2 years ago he was one of the first victims of the recession and him and his work mates were made redundant .... in the first year he sent his Cv and went to millions of interviews , all of them went fine but nothing materialized ... he become overqualified and would be to expensive for them to give him a job , most of the jobs were for 1-2-3 years job experience . As a art director can't go coz he never had (added from his previews buisness ) the managerial experience and many of them they have not believed him he has quite a vast experience even though his on line portfolio proves that ( most of the jobs were contracts some full time thats the way he gain experience)

In this part of the world it is really really hard to get some full time work ...but do not give up .

Now he works for himself -I cant say we have money and we do not know what to do with them LOL ,but we take it slowly he is not on the market for to long ( I mean as freelancer) but....

while he looks for work , he trains in ZBrush both and he is cracking on with Lightwave and After Effects .

good luck

18. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

wow ur OH sounds great! :D he'd be perfect for the games industry! lol they would be fighting over him! :lol:

thanks for the advise, i have a small amount of experience with Zbrush thats self taught! lol x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice