Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is another dog a good idea?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kitty_witch, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kitty_witch

kitty_witch PetForums Junior

hi all, i have been thinking of getting another dog.

i already have a springer spanial and want another to keep her company, but the thing is she is scared of other dogs.

she was attacked by an evil yorki when she was a pup and she remembers this and ever since that day she has been scared to death of other dogs.

i was thinking of getting another one to help her overcome her fear, my vet says this is a good idea, but your thoughts on this.

what do you guys think? xxxx

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would suggest you get in contact with a behaviourist to deal with her fear.

Another dog wont cure this, and you may find you run into trouble if you go down this road.

3. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi, how old is your dog now? What is she like when other dogs approach her on walks?

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Yes i think it would be good to get another dog but get a puppy not to big

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Your dog may be ok with you getting a puppy, but it isn't going to cure the fear.
    I agree getting a behaviourist is a better idea then once the problem si cured, then think about getting a second dog.

Getting another dog because your vet thinks it will help your current dog isn't really the best reason for getting another dog.

x

6. kitty_witch

kitty_witch PetForums Junior

hi my dog is 3 years old, on walks if another dog approches her she tends to wet herself and be scared.

i thought maybe having another dog would help her to realise that not all other dogs are going to hurt her.

we were thinking of a lab pup. xx

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could make her issues worse. Imagine being terrified of other dogs, then having a young pup invading your home, your safe area, and being all excitable and in your face and threatening.

You could push your dog from being fearful, into being fear aggressive.

Plus it still wouldnt solve the problem with other dogs.

#7 Nonnie, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

Nonnie is right.
    You don't want to get another dog. While the one you have, has problems already.
    If you do get another dog, best is to get an older dog.

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would worry that your dog will feel unsafe with another dog around,do you have anyone who owns a dog that maybe you could go for walks with,to see if your dog can get some confidence back ,then if it works maybe you could have a friendly dog stay over at your home to see how your dog will cope.

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

No no no! If you get a lab puppy what you will achieve is you'll have 2 dogs that are scared, one little one and one big one with the potential to cause damage. You must get a qualified behaviourist to assist you with your dogs fears before attempting to introduce another dog to your home, and only once she's over come then I would suggest getting an older already calm and quiet dog. One that she will learn from and not one she will teach. ;)

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

If your dog is as bad as you say when meeting other dogs, then NO DO NOT GET ANOTHER until this is resolved. You need the help of others around you who have steady dogs and more than likely a behaviourist.
    Sorry, I know where you're coming from but not yet please.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice