Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is Alfie a bit tubby?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CavalierOwner, Nov 16, 2012.

1. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Just wanted some opinions really on Alfie's weight! :eek: I'm a little paranoid about having fat Cavs. Alfie had his haircut on Tuesday so you can see his actual shape now but I can't help but think that he's a little overweight. He's still the slimmest male Cav I have ever seen in person but when you look at his back he hasn't got much of a waist. He doesn't feel fat just solid built if that makes sense? He was neutered around May time, and weighs around 8.5kg, the vet says that he's a good weight but I'm unsure.

Anyway here are some pics, they are poor quality because they were taken on my phone. Excuse the dog toys, it's playtime. :eek:

[​IMG]

That white blur is Willow running :lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I can't see any tubbyness :)

How's his undercarriage?

3. Cromford

Cromford PetForums Senior

My goodness ...your not backward about being forward...;)

4. CavalierOwner

He hasn't got a tubby belly or anything, just no real waist when you look at his back, whereas the girls have a proper waist.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Nothing a few ball throws won't put right ;)

There does seem to be two types of Cavs, and some seem to go a bit broad

#5 rona, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Don't get what's wrong with saying undercarriage :confused:

I'm referring to his ribs and tummy as this is another area to check when looking at a dogs body condition

7. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

He does have a waist. His ribs protrude and then just before his back legs his waist tucks in. I wouldn't worry about it. If you can easily feel his ribs and he's not got a flat line from his ribs to his belly underneath then he's a good weight.

8. CavalierOwner

Nope, he's doesn't have any spare fat on his ribs or tummy at all really. I think it might be because the girls seem to have more shape and I keep comparing them but they are a lot smaller and weigh 3.5kg less! Lol. I don't think that he is extremely overweight or anything just that he might need a little bit of weight off him?

9. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I can see a waist :)
    I don't know much about cavs, but he looks fine to me :)

10. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

How does his waist area feel?

Tink's doesnt' look dissimilar but as the Vet said this morning he was very happy that is was muscle not tub. if they are a bit of a meerkat they can build muscle on their backs.

#10 moonviolet, Nov 16, 2012
  11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If you judge him by this he's in perfect condition :D

[​IMG]

12. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I don`t think he looks tubby you can see his waist. There are not many fat dogs around here at all but the couple that are happen to be Cavs, now they are tubby. Alfie looks like a whippet in comparison:)

13. CavalierOwner

Thanks guys! I get a bit paranoid about him getting fat, I hate seeing fat dogs, especially Cavs because they all seem to be fat.

Moonviolet his waist feels solid, there's no podgy flabby bits if they makes sense? :lol:

#13 CavalierOwner, Nov 16, 2012
  14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Personally I think he looks fine! I have only ever seen one Cavalier who was a nice weight like that, but she was very petite anyway.

Tiger doesn't have much of a waist but the vet has always said his weight is fine. He probably wouldn't suffer if he lost a few pounds but to be honest - he's not a show dog, he is as fit as a fiddle and he's as active as anything so really, as long as their weight doesn't seem to be slowing them down or causing them any trouble then I really don't think it's THAT much of an issue. The only time Tiger and Ruby ever get weighed is when they are at the vets. Ruby we know is quite overweight but that was since her spay and since she went blind - she just doesn't run anywhere and all her walks are just very short ambles, so she is a bit overweight, but still our vet says it is no cause for concern.

Mabel is weighed fairly regularly but she is a slim built dog anyway, and as we are planning on showing her, we need to keep a really close eye on her weight. Tiger and Ruby are just pets so as long as they don't look like barrels and aren't piling it on, we don't worry too much.

Alfie looks fine to me :thumbup:

15. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I think he looks ok, big compared to my Sandy but she is tiny compared to all the CKCS I have met :rolleyes: You can see his waist so he is fine.
    I have never seen a clipped Cavie :laugh:

16. CavalierOwner

Lol! He has to be clipped, he's extremely hairy. Is fur is really thick and wavy and he gets too hot! Honestly he looks like a bear with all of his hair. He has his ears and tail hair left long but he doesn't have long hair left on his chest or legs because it doesn't look good, it just doesn't fan out for some reason. :(

The girls never have their hair clipped, just brushed and occasionally trimmed.

Funny you should mention that you girl is the smallest Cav you've seen because my girls are the smallest Cavs that I've seen. :lol: My girls are really dainty, Ruby weighs 5kg and Willow is just under 5kg.

17. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Wow they are dainty,I want to meet them! Sandy weighs just over 6kg but she has been a few inches shorter than any other cav I have met. I don't think you can tell how small she is but here she is anyway.......

[​IMG]

18. CavalierOwner

:001_wub: She is stunning! You can tell she's small, I love seeing little Cavs that are a nice build, it makes a change from seeing barrels on legs. :lol: My girls aren't tall either, but Alfie is huge :lol: his mum was big for a bitch though!

19. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Personally, he's larger that I'd have him - but then I like my dogs very lean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice