Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is a Standard Poodle for me?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by manickirby, Aug 16, 2009.

1. manickirby

manickirby PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I am thinking of getting a second dog, my ideal choice is a Standard Poodle, a girl of light coloured coat. My existing dog is a Golden Retriever, 11 1/2 years lady who has developed arthritis in her rear legs. Kirby is a wonderful companion; very placid, still very playful and willing to do all I ask of her.
    We’ve been together since she was 6 weeks old and I have trained her myself to do various duties around the house, picking things up, opening and shutting doors (now stopped), emptying the washing machine, collecting the post, shoes, her bed etc etc.
    She can no longer manage long walks and is restricted to 3 short 10 minute walks a day.
    I have a disability that means I walk on crutches and can only manage a 30 minute walk twice a day. I am fortunate that my bungalow, with high fenced garden backs on to a park that entrance is only a 2 minute walk away.
    I now live alone, but when a friend lived here for several years they got an 8 week old cocker spaniel that was very bouncy to say the least! In fact rather hypo at times. I used to walk him with Kirby daily without any trouble. I have a good support network of neighbours, friends and carers to walk them should I not be able to or need help. I have decided to get a pup and train her up. I investigated the breeds for temperament, height, ease of training, energy levels, exercise & grooming requirements the Standard Poodle came up on top,
    A Standard Poodle Breeder has pointed out that they can be very boisterous puppies’ up to about 18 months old. If a Std Poodle was as boisterous as a cocker spaniel then I know I would not be able to cope.
    I realize that all puppies can be boisterous, Kirby was but as if by instinct she always took care around me but the cocker did not, but he was very excitable, though very loving and entertaining and easier to train.
    I would like to hear of others experiences of a boisterous puppy/adolescence standard poodle. Thank you

2. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

To be honest ive no experience with standards as i have toy poodles but recently an older lady had a toy from me shes on her own and is disabled and the puppy is very tolerant with her sits by her feet and even lets her know when the fone rings or someone at the door. i think most puppies can be boisterous big or small but i also think if you are a calm person then the puppy may pick that up.
    I think i would go a bit smaller if i was in ur situation ...easier to handle , not so much walking to do and a fab lil companion:)

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I have no experience at all with poodles,sorry.
    Is there any reason you are not considering another golden retriever,you obviously did a fantastic job training your current girl.
    Not being critical,just wondering.
    Hope you find the perfect puppy x

4. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've not experianced a standard poodle as an owner myself (yet ;) ) but I've had toys and minis. I've got a mini pup just now and he's crazy. I wanted a standard to begin with but after talking to a few breeders they told me I'm better off with another mini until another few years so I can get more used to grooming and handling for dog showing. The standards seem to be pretty rare to come across but I've already got my eyes set on a litter in a few years :p I think maybe a 14/15 inch mini might be better if you aren't used to grooming. They are very smart and make up their own games if you don't keep them entertained. I imagine they are pretty powerful on the lead if they aren't taught to walk at heal either.

5. Colsy

Colsy Banned

I have a rescue Toy Poodle he is fab.
    Plus 3 large breed Poodle Crosses.
    I have always wanted a Black Standard Poodle beautiful dogs.

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I have a standard poodle X labrador. 75% poodle. I can't speak for every poodle cross but ours was a dream puppy. We were prepared for the absolute worst but she was so easy. She had her mad half hour in the evening, and still does, but from the very first night it was almost like we brought home a mature dog rather than a puppy.

We met her Dad, standard cream poodle, several times and he was just absolutely beautiful. He had the same characteristics as Mabel.

She never chewed, never cried and is so easy to train. She is brilliant with other dogs and animals too. She sees herself as our 2 cats mother. They've been here 11 years more than she has yet SHE'S the mother :rolleyes:

Her coat is fleece and needs to be groomed thoroughly every 2 days as she has inherited the non-shedding characteristic of poodles. It's quite a bit of work but it's a fabulous way to bond and spend some quality time with her.

We wouldn't trade her for the world.

7. manickirby

manickirby PetForums Newbie

Hi and thanks for your posty, unfortuneatly a smaller dog will not be able to help with some of the duties i.e picking up my crutches/ other items and passing them up to me.

#7 manickirby, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  8. thurrz

thurrz Banned

Nice :)
    Good luck on your new dog

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Like most of the people that have replied here, i have a toy poodle who is amazing! :)

Don't know how a standard poodle will be for you but i know of one person of this forum who has standard poodles. Her name is Ragdoll just pm her i'm sure she'll be able to tell you.

Or you could just ring up the Standard Poodle Breed Club ask for a few contacts of standard poodle breeders and speak to a breeder to see what they can say - oh wait...you have already done so i just re read your post.

Poodles on the whole have wonderful temperments which you already know. But yeah speak to ragdoll.

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Poodles are very common assistance dogs learn very quickly and are very willing to help you. They can be very bouncy but I'm sure they would fine if you're giving him a job to do which you will be

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont know much about st poodles but ive also heard that they great assistance dogs, never been keen on the smaller poddles but think the standard poodles look great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice