Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is a skin biopsy worth it?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lea77, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Lea77

Lea77 PetForums Newbie

My cat has a small sore on his upper lip. Behaviour/every everything else is fine. He's 2yrs old. Vet said it's most likely a rodent ulcer.

They said a skin biopsy would be best - £500 but that would only rule out it being something else, like a fungal infection. If it is an allergic reaction, which they suspect it is, it won't tell them the cause.

The other option is to try out steroid injections which they didn't give me a price for but may help if it is an allergy.

What does everyone think? I'm just not sure £500 is worth it when I suspect it's just going to tell us that it is in fact an allergy.

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Rodent ulcers are quite common. What type of eating bowls do you use? One of mine had an ulcer when I used bowls with rubber around them which cleared up when I changed to china dishes.

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Lea77 and welcome :)

For a confirmed diagnosis of Eosinophilic Granuloma there would need to be microscopic examination of a fine needle aspirate or a biopsy of the ulcer..

One of my cats had one of these ulcers on his mouth 5 years ago while I was in the process of identifying his food allergies. I didn't have a biopsy done of the ulcer, just continued with the elimination diet until I identified he is allergic to the proteins chicken, beef, and fish. He is now on a grain free diet of rotated single proteins and has never had another ulcer.

I would not have a blood test done to identify food allergies btw, (i.e. in case your vet offers it). Blood tests for food allergies are expensive and unreliable. The only sure scientific way to find food allergies is with an elimination diet. Please see link to pinned thread for more information:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice