Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is a 6month check up required?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by babycham2002, May 16, 2010.

1. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

As the title says really
    Do you think I should take Willow for a 6 month check up?
    Only cos someone as obedience said their dog had been for hers.

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Only if you're concerned.....

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I would, a lot can happen in those first few months and £30 is a small price to pay for peice of mind

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Awww man, the first two and they're opposite! :D

Thanks for answering though the both of you.:)

I know I had decided when she gets elderly I will take her every 6 months for a check up but I never thought about doing one now.

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm quite laid back and, I suppose, quite experienced. I would never give the vet my money for no reason :lol:

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I would. Mine will check teeth/paws/have a general poke about and weigh them for about £10 and my vets have a reputation for being a rip off.

As she is young it wouldn't hurt just to see how she weighs and to get her to visit the vets again too. Rupert only went when he had problems or went for neutering etc and tbh that may well be why he is a bit wary. He is happy enough to go in but he gets very nervous and more so around certain vets. If I had my time again with him I would have taken him in for them to have a general poke so he got more used to it.

He got his shots about 8.5 and 10.5 weeks old, microchipping about 12 weeks and then didn't go back until he had sore ears at about 9.5 months old. He gets nervous when the vets try to touch his sides to feel his belly etc so I would say its worth it more for the experience for her :thumbup:

Rupert will go at least once a year and I expect when he gets to 6 I will take him every 6 months. Like I said if I had my time again I would probably take him every 6 months until he turned two, but that's more so he could get used to strange people giving him a poke :)

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

At our puppy class we do all those kind of examinations (ie strangers poking them lol) but I get where you're coming from.

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think that's what my boy is a bit wary of. He's not bad he just gets excited as he loves people and can smell other dogs, but nervous with the prodding and poking and so gets jittery and a bit upset. He needed to be sedated for his bloomin' boosters he was that jittery :rolleyes: I try to take him when his favourite vet is on now :blushing:

9. westielover65

westielover65 PetForums Junior

I personally wouldn't unless instinct tells you otherwise, as our dogs got older and were on medication we had to take them otherwise the vet wouldn't let us have any meds but personally for an elderly dog I think its a trauma best avoided I knew my dogs and would have taken them if I felt there was a change in their health, and when my vet his has his brand new jaguar parked out side I resent it even more

10. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I have never given it a thought but as Pennys infection coincided with her being 6 months and the whole appt and treatment only cost me about 15 quid I'll take that as a 6 month check, every time my 2 visit the vet they get the works as part of the examination anyway.
    Clare xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice