Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is 13 and a half years of age a good age

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by oggy1511, Apr 25, 2011.

1. oggy1511

oggy1511 PetForums Junior

Hi I have a black Lab who will be 14 in September but just this last month she hasnt been hereself at all and has been diagnosed with severe arthritis in her spine and both back legs. She also has a heart murmur she also has devolped some other health problems ie loss of appetite, very bad breath,Very dry hard bitty poo she keeps pacing up and down the living room before she settles then she fidgets alot in her bed. She also pants excessivley and coughs to. She is on some tabs for her arthritis but these dont seem to have helped her to be honest. She is back at vets on Thurs but we may have to make that horrid decision. I would like her to go with some dignity and for her not to suffer. Which I feel she is now suffering.
    Just wonderd if this was a good age for a labrador
    Thanks Oggy

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its a very good age for a lab, but still sad when this time comes.

3. oggy1511

Hi Thanks I know she is suffering and feel so cruel for keeping her alive bless her
    Thanks Oggy

4. rona

rona Guest

It's a very good age for a Lab. I'm sorry that you have got to this point, have you thought about getting the vet to come to you if you do decide that the time has come?

5. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

It is a good age for a Lab - though I have heard of the odd one lasting til 15+

I have a 12 year old and she is considered the 'average' lifespan (according to some article I read!) - so your at 13.5 is an old lady.

I can tell by your post that you do not want your dog to suffer and as I have heard many people on here say 'better a day early than a day late'. If you let her go before the suffering gets too much for her you will know you have let her go with dignity and tbh - doing the 'right thing' for her shows how much you love her.

My heart goes out to you as I can imagine it is a heartbreaking decision to have to make.

(((hugs))) x

6. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I've always been told that over 10 is a fair age for a lab.

7. oggy1511

Vets Tomorrow so we will see what they say. Her eating isnt good at all I have only just filled her bowl up again from Monday Morning bless her. She not drinking a great deal either now and she is hardly weeing and when she does it isnt a lot. Hubby seems to think she has gone thin around backend to. She is sleeping alot to now bless her.
    Oggy

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

so sorry to hear about this! It's never an easy decision! :(

9. rona

rona Guest

Sounds as if she has made the decision for you :(

10. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thinking of you at this difficult time
    It is a great old age for a lab.

11. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Think she is telling you she is feeling weary - tough decision but I am sure you dont want her to suffer.

(((hugs)))

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

So sad for you and your dog, 14 is a really good age. She have had a good life with you and if it were me (we had to put our collie cross to sleep last year, he was the same age).I would definatly think about your dog now and how painful it must be for her. Good Luck with your decision its going to be a hard one for you.

13. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

I agree with Rona, they usually give you this look, and the light has gone out of their eyes, saying 'no more, i've had enough' please be kind, and do the final act of love, i know it is so hard, heart breaking, but be strong, you know it will kinder, if the time is right.

14. Wendy123

Wendy123 PetForums Newbie

My Black Lab, Midnight, died when she was 16. She has the same problems as yours, Heart murmur and severe arthritis. She cannot stand up long and just stayed on her cage. We cannot walk her or play with her because of her condition.

15. DougGeneration

DougGeneration PetForums Junior

If it'll make you feel any better, Labradors typically lives about 12.8 human years. So your Lab stayed with you longer than the usual lab, I must say he/she is a fighter!

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My thoughts are with you - it's so hard but the last kind gesture we can do for them. Think of all those hours she has filled your lives with joy and the legacy of happy memories she leaves you will keep her near.

When I made the decision, I beat myself up shortly afterwards that it was too soon but as CAstbury says, better that little bit too soon to avoid unnecessary suffering than waiting until you know you left it too late.

So sorry, such a sad time

17. oggy1511

Updat unfortunatley Cassie had to be put to sleep this evening thankyou to everyone for your support through this difficult time.
    RIP Cassie 13 years of age xxx

18. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry to read this, but I must say I think you did the right thing by Cassie.

I've been in the unfortunate position to have to make the same decision as you. I don't regret it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been the worst thing that has happened in my life so far. So I really really just want to let you know that I feel for you, and that you did a very brave kind thing for your Cassie.

19. IlovemyBichon

IlovemyBichon PetForums Junior

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure you did the best thing for your girl. :sad:

20. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

So sorry Hun! HUGS!! to you and your baby xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice