Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is £4000 vet cover enough?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, May 3, 2011.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My insurance has come up for renewal and he is now a year old. I wondered whether I should upgrade the plan? I haven't had to claim for anything, so not sure if anything went wrong how much it would actually cost. Thanks.

2. Well my final bill for my 4 year old when here immune system broke down was £11,800 I had a CR*P insurer who wormed their way outta paying (revcovered something like £700) the rest we were fortunate enough to be able to pay ourselves from savings. And we were covered for £7000 pa
    Basically - an insurance company can offer you zillions but if they worm outta paying then it is not worth the paper it is written on!

One of my dogs is with JBi now - they only cover £4000 pa - BUT! they have been supurb would have NO hesitation in recommending them to anyone!

All I can say make sure is that you take out - for life cover - whereby the clock rolls back each year!

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You may as well ask: how long's a piece of string? You just do not know what the future holds and as DT said, sometimes it is a lot more and they wriggle out of it. I have been paying insurance for Ferdie and Joshua for nearly two years, Ferdie has had nothing wrong, Joshua has arthritis, his medicine costs a lot and they wouldn't pay because I first took him with his limp within ten days of taking out the policy. I will say though it is the same company I insured him with when I first got him and at 10 weeks we nearly lost him from heat stroke. They paid out no problem, when a lot will not pay out on a puppy until you have had the policy for a month. But the health insurance is limited to £3000 per illness and only for the first year of that illness. If you want cover for life, like Pet plan, it is going to cost. To insure my two with them was going to be £248 per month! I certainly couldn't afford that on the offchance that it might be needed. Churchill charge me £42 per month for both, but although the health cover is limited, it does carry a £1million third party liability insurance.

4. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

not if you go over £4000....

5. rona

rona Guest

Cover for as much as you can afford if you can't cover vet bills yourself

6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. It is with Petplan and life cover, but I will upgrade it just in case.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If you can afford Petplan go with it. I have said how much they wanted for my two and that would have gone up by now.

8. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Phone some companies that do life cover and negotiate how much cover you can get. Jake was £6000, the horse was over £5000. The company paid half of Jake's and most of the horse's. Go for as much as you can.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice