Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Irritating new development

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Erenya, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Einstein has started spraying!

Well I'm pretty sure it's spraying - when he goes for a wee he squats down but this is standing up with his tail twitching - it also smells quite strong.

I'm trying for the life of me to work out why he's suddenly started. I know that he occasionally sprays in the garden but I also know that cheeky (next doors female cat) scent marks quite a lot in the garden, so I put it down to him being territorial and 'reclaiming' the garden.

However this morning he sprayed on the wall in our bedroom. He was doing his usual morning shout - which usually means he wants to be let out (the cat flap opens at 7:30am automatically but he can be an impatient bugger) - but he then jumped on top of the Chest of drawers and sprayed on the wall. I immediately wiped the wall down with special biological pet mess cleaner, but I'm at a loss to work out why he's suddenly started

He was three in March and was neutered the minute he hit 4 months (earliest the vet would do), so I assume it's not hormones - I'm just baffled as to why he's suddenly started and concerned that this has happened elsewhere and I've just not noticed. Out house is being renovated so lots of rooms are in disarray and If he did this when we were out, we may not ever know.

I have their vaccinations/6 month check up booked for Friday this week so I will of course ask the vet in case there is a medical reason - But in everything else he's acting totally normally - like the same loud, clingy slightly neurotic fuzz ball he's always been.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

You are having your house renovated. It makes him feel insecure. Some cats spray to make their home smell of themselves. They tend to do it more during periods of change. It is not hormonal as such. Any cat can spray. Some do it as a last resort and others do the opposite I am afraid. Isn't he half Abyssinian? I don't wish to slander the breed but I have known many Aby pisspots if you can forgive the espression!

Hopefully Einstein may settle down when the house is finished.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

It was probably a bit of a misleading statement to say we were in disarray. We've not had any actual work done recently - it's more that a lot of the rooms are a bit neglected as the previous owners did no work on the house in about 10 years, so other than the kitchen it's all a bit grubby and unkempt.

There's been no actual change to the house since March (we've run out of money...) - which is why I guess it's odd that this has suddenly started - or maybe it hasn't, maybe it was just the first time I've witnessed it indoors...

If anything I would say he should be more settled - he's not fighting with cheeky as much - he's stopped wailing when he sees her now, just watches her whilst flicking his tail in irritation - But who know, maybe something has stressed him and we just haven't noticed.

He's actually half Somali and half Bengal. It is reassuring to know that this can happen at any time - I'd always just assumed that it you neutered them early enough they'd never even start. Show's what I know.

I'll still mention it to the vet on Friday just in case - could this be caused by a medical problem or it is usually just behavioural?

4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

A Somali is just a longhaired Aby. I am not sure Bengals have the best reputation either. Sorry. If Einstein seems more settled at the moment he may have found the solution to his insecurity problem presumable caused by Cheeky's behaviour but unfortunately at your expense.

By all means mention it to the vet but I have never heard of a medical reason for real spraying. This does sound like real spraying since a definite place has been chosen. Some cats stand up in their litter tray to pee but that is different.

Soozi likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this @Erenya :( I also have a neutered male cat who suddenly started spraying indoors a couple of years ago. (he is a moggy not a breed). It seemed to be linked with his relationship with the other cats. He had become much more settled, but just as QOTN says I think he found that he could comfort himself and reduce feelings of insecurity by spraying.

He tends to pick the same places all the time (luckily) so we are able to keep on top of it and immediately clean up with an enzyme cleaner. Giving him what he wants when he wants it reduces the spraying but is not always practical.

My cat was not neutered until over a year old (he's a rescued stray) and I must say I assumed his late neutering was a contributory factor in his spraying. One of the reasons given by Icat Care for early neutering is that it prevents the development of unwanted behaviours associated with sexual maturity, such as spraying indoors. But it seems more likely that early neutering reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it - as evidenced by your experience with Einstein! :(

Soozi likes this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Have you been bringing in building materials to store in the house? If these have been previously stored in builders yards etc it may be he can smell other cats. I'm sorry I can't advise as I've never had the unfortunate experience but I do remember when a builder was doing some work on our place Liddy lifted and quivered her tail next to the guys tool box! Luckily she can't spray and could only perform the action which I had never seen her do before. I hope you get to the bottom of it.

7. Reets

Reets PetForums Senior

We've had 6 cats excluding the current pair, and only two of those have sprayed. First was a girl, our first Somali - she would spray outside, marking her territory, but never indoors. The second was Bruno, a somali who had been rehomed to us. Having lived indoors for 7 years he had never sprayed, but started when he started going out. He would spray outside, like our first Somali girl, but also initially, when we first let him out, he would spray in the kitchen when we shut him in at night. When he cottoned on that we were going to let him out each morning,he stopped spraying indoors and only sprayed outside. I put it down to stress. He loved the outdoors and having had a taste of freedom he was very upset to think it would be taken away from him.

The other four cats were a Siamese and two more somalis, and Lewis our lovely tabby boy moggie. None of them ever sprayed. All of these were spayed/neutered as adults - the Siamese boy was a year old, and Lewis more like 7 or 8. The two other somali girls were spayed at 4 and 5 respectively.

Bruno (the somali who sprayed) was neutered as a kitten, and Bel (the other somali who sprayed) was neutered at 2 (she had two pedigree litters).

Soozi likes this.
  8. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Well that's an interesting thought. Not this exactly, but it was in the corner above where OH dumps his work cloths (apparently putting them into the clothes hamper is a step too far). He's a landscape gardener and I wonder if he's been working in an area where another cat sprayed and it's transferred to his clothes - he probably wouldn't smell it but Einstein might....

I'll make sure he put's everything straight into the washing machine for a rinse and maybe it'll stop it.

I think this might also be part of it - he does like to get his own way and can get a bit upset if things aren't going the way he wants it - beating up his sister, scratching the furniture etc. I've been trying not to give into him when he has a full on whinge as I figured that it would just perpetuate bad habits and teach him that all he needs to do his moan and he gets his way... might need to rethink that.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I feel for you!
    I would suggest trying him on Cystophan as it can have a calming action and reduce the urge to scent mark

Soozi likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with PP, Cystophan can be useful as it contains L-tryptophan, which has a calming, sedative effect. I could not find a dose that suited my boy though. The normal dose made him dopey and he went off his food (two separate trials of it 3 months apart). A smaller dose made no noticeable difference. But you may find Einstein is OK with it.

I thought I was getting somewhere managing the spraying by adding Zylkene to my cat's food - 75 mg a day (as he weighs under 5 kg).

At first the Zylkene seemed to calm him down and he seemed more content, less easily frustrated if he couldn't have what he wanted straight away. But the effect of the Zylkene seems to be cumulative and after a few weeks I had to stop giving it as he had become dopey and was off his food again. (this is a cat who adores his food and is one of the least fussy cats I have ever had ). Within a day or two after I stopped he was back to his normal lively self. It was evident there was nothing wrong with his health.

My cat might be quite an impatient, demanding cat even if he was living as an only cat, but I am sure he is worse because he lives with other cats. It is a issue of competition for resources (in his eyes). Not responding to his demands made things much worse, and he would become frantic, getting himself very distressed.

The best way for me to manage the problem is to respond as quickly as possible to him, feeding him straight away if he asks, and letting him out when he wants. He is the only one of my cats who is allowed access to outdoors at night through the cat flap. It's not something I'm entirely happy with (usually shut all my cats indoors at night) but it has made a huge difference in reducing the spraying.

Paddypaws and Soozi like this.
  11. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

What a shame and a pain!!

I would add Pet Remedys into the rooms he's started to do it and possibly try him with a Beaphar calm spot on once a week.

Interesting thought if Sooz as I do think it could be a possibility.

12. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Quick update.

We thought we'd identified the issue as there seemed to be a direct correlation between days when it rained (no spraying) and days without rain (spraying). We thought that maybe next doors cat was spraying first thing in the morning and he could smell it through the open window, but couldn't get out to deal with it - raining = less smell.

However it now appears that's not the case as we've now had a few spraying incidents on rainy days.

He's now on one zylkene a day and has been for about a week. In that instance we've not had an incident yet. However, he was very stressy on Saturday morning at about 4am until I hgot up and played with him for over an hour until it was light enough and I let him out, so I think that was more 'spraying averted' rather than 'not spraying'.

The pet remedy plug in arrives today. Feliway did nothing at all, so I'm hoping pet remedy has more effect.

On a slightly bizarre note - OH often works away and we've NEVER had a spraying incident when I'm in the house on my own.... coincidence?

On an aside, he did take a (huge) wee in the hallway under OH's work bag, but that was definitely urine and not spray. I'm hoping that it was because I thought OH had changed the litter tray when he hadn't (typical), so it was a bit nasty. I'm also going to add another litter tray to the house - we've always only ever had one and both have always seemed happy with that, but I'm thinking it might improve things for him.

I'll keep you posted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice