Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Irresponsible parent

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sairy, May 2, 2017.

1. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

So this afternoon my OH was in the house with the dog and noticed a woman with a toddler (probably about 2 years) and what looked like the toddler's grandma stood outside on the pavement talking to the neighbours. The toddler took off and decided to run into our drive (our driveway is pretty big and he came all the way up to the front door). The two women took not the blindest bit of notice and didn't seem to care that the child was running around on someone else's property. My OH watched for a while and then decided to go out. She opened the front door and stood in the doorway looking unimpressed for a while until the mother eventually half-heartedly said to the toddler "Come on then, this way". Toddler took no notice whatsoever and then Holly stuck her head out the door. She didn't bark or lunge or anything of the sort and my OH ensured that she didn't get through the doorway, but the mere sight of her made the woman rush over and scoop up the toddler quickly :rolleyes:. Of course it doesn't matter that this child was on someone else's property, but as soon as a big scary dog appears the mother had to ensure that said child wasn't eaten! She didn't even apologise to my OH. I bet she would have had something to say if Holly had dared to bark.

People can be so rude and inconsiderate.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think your partner was very restrained. I think I would have been tempted to say in a very loud voice "whose child is this ?" and if no response from the parent then pretend to call the police to tell them I had found a lost child. If I got a response then I would be demanding they control their child.

Luckily I have reached an age where I don't give a fig about others opinions in these sorts of circumstances. :)

3. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I think she was restrained as well, I wouldn't have had the patience. It irritates me when people don't keep their children under control.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I once grabbed a toddler trailing behind his mum in a busy car park , he was right in the path of a reversing car. The mum turned round and glared at me as if I'd tried to abduct him , I said 'that's OK, don't mention it and walked on , seething ! They are so rude and inconsiderate some parents.

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I think that the toddler would have benefitted from some recall training, perhaps on a long line. The mother would have benefitted from a damn good telling off!

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I see this sort of thing all the time. Some parents just seem so disconnected from their children :(

Kids running, cycling or scootering well ahead of parents alongside roads or up to junctions is a regular occurrence on their school runs - mum often texting or reading their Facebook page :rolleyes:

I can't remember the last time I saw a kid in a pushchair or pram where the mother wasn't texting as they walked - completely oblivious to the child calling to them.

Mums standing chatting whilst a child repeatedly calls out to them just to be ignored and so wander off - or shout louder and get frustrated. They don't even acknowledge the child and ask them to wait - an opportunity to teach patience and manners.

I do wonder why some people actually have kids - just because they can, it seems :(

7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

lol :D

Actually when i was a kid, kids of that age were often on reins if I remember rightly. Maybe it should be made compulsory in public areas. And a ruling made that you can't walk more than four children at the same time. ;)

J

8. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

Unruly young children running around are a nightmare everywhere you go these days, especially supermarkets, I've lost count of the number of times I've accidently bumped into a toddler/young child with my trolley and get glared at or worse from the parent :rolleyes:, I tend to try doing my shopping during school run times now. Why don't parents make them sit in the shopping trolley? Or if outside keep them on Reins for their own safety?

I think your OH was very polite Sairy, I wouldn't have been in the same situation ;)

Custard Mite, Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I've long been a believer that there should be signs saying "please keep children under control". I was at a show on Sunday and there was toddler on reins, with dad holding the other end. Dad was so focused on filming his OH that he was completely oblivious to the fact that the toddler was making a beeline for Holly and pulling him along!! I had just got Holly to settle down on the grass and didn't want a clumsy toddler coming over so had to tell him no myself and put out my hand to stop him coming any closer. :rolleyes:

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Saw a toddler riding his trike round the shop the other day! :rolleyes:

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  11. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I read that as "tie them up outside on reins"!!! Can you imagine if people tied their children up outside shops!

12. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

See what you mean :D Note to self, double check before posting :D

Sairy likes this.
  13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We live in a row of bungalows with open front lawns and we are always getting toddlers running all over them, their perants soon fetch them when they hear Dillon bark.

In Sainsburys yesterday, there was two kids about 7 years old on roller trainers ( I think that's what they are called) having a race round the veg aisles, no sign of who they were with.

Sairy and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

During the Easter break I was in a huge Matalan and a woman was merrily looking through the clothes while her 3 children ran around the store at top speed playing "it", screaming and shouting!

Staff just seemed to ignore them. :rolleyes:

Tbh the woman looked like someone you wouldn't confront without a baton and a stab vest - which is why I bit my tongue! ;) - but so annoying. :mad:

15. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I love kids... but the parents drive me mad sometimes.

My cousin and I were sitting in a coffee shop.. A mother was so busy chatting to her friend, she didn't notice her toddler had wandered off across the busy shopping centre and was sitting amongst the displays in a shop window. We kept an eye on him for at least 5 mins before she even noticed he was gone! Then she jumped up in a panic shouting "Oliver, Oliver" We pointed him out and she rushed off to get him... and smack his bum for wandering off. She kept thanking us and then said "they're just so fast.. I only took my eyes off him for a split second" to which I pointed out he'd been in the shop window for at least 5 mins :Meh

Another time my friend and I were out for dinner... Two women at the table beside us just let their kids do whatever they pleased.. one was sitting underneath our table pouring blackcurrant Fruit Shoot on my friends shoes and the other was driving his toy cars round our plates while we tried to eat our meal. The women were loud, common as muck types so we asked the waitress to move us to a different table rather than confront them, which she did.. but the kids followed us. The waitress told them to go back to their own table but they ignored her, until eventually the manager came out and spoke to the mothers. They had a hissy fit, grabbed their kids and stormed out.. Then gave the manager the fingers through the window and yelled "stick your food up your arse" :rolleyes:

16. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious Love it!

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

This made me chuckle too.....I can see her already :D

J

Custard Mite, Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

Yes!

Sairy likes this.
  19. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

People talk about dog licences and more restrictions on dog owners, but I would love to see humans restricted from breeding until they pass a temperament test!

20. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

I would never have let my kids run off like that, at toddler age they were on reins or a pushchair or a sling, my youngest hated reins but was fine with a special bee bag with a strap for me to hold onto. Kids do run off fast but parents need to watch them responsibly too. My youngest two are 8 and 9 and would never dream of running off without us now.

Sairy, Lurcherlad and chissy 15 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice