Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Irish Wolfhounds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Howl, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

My brother is considering putting his name down for one, anyone have any pearls of wisdom?
    He has found an excellent breeder who ticks all the boxes.
    I have asked him if he has considered deerhounds mainly because the lifespan appears to be longer both having similar ancestry.
    Are many of the issues similar to sighthounds in general and my own dear scent hounds.. bit rubbish off lead?

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Ooow I love Irish wolf hounds, lovely huge scruffy dogs - gorgeous! I have chosen for my next dog to be a Deerhound though because they don't have the nervous disposition that the wolfhound sometimes has. Don't think I've seen anyone on here with either - sadly.

I've read about Deerhounds and they tick all the boxes I want in my next dog - laid back, don't need loads of exercise, good recall, good with kids, good with dogs just very gentle all rounders and very few health problems, they have to be tested for liver shunt probs from what I've read so that's a health test you want and I think I read the pups have to be tested prior to sale.

Not much help other than if your brother gets the wolfhound PLEASE put pics on here cos I'd love to see the pup. :001_wub:

3. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

They are gorgeous dogs but I'd never get one because it would break my heart to know that they don't live very long. I belive their average age at death is about seven years.... too, too sad.

4. househens

househens Guest

I've always found wolfhounds very reserved, very non demonstrative, often gravely observing.

Deerhounds, I've always found complete clowns. Completely daffy, and very blonde. :) I DO love deerhounds, and they are on the British Dog Breeds At Risk list. Totally heartbreaking.

So what temperament would most suit?

Or... GET BOTH!!!!

#4 househens, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  5. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

All the wolfhounds Ive ever met have been gentle giants and I must say my dream dog. I am just in awe of them I love the size the coat the quietness of them its grand...

6. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

I used to have a deerhound. He was the daftest soppiest gentlest dog and my knee high JR cross was the top dog over him. He used to search out the hens eggs and fetch them without breaking them.

He was a bit thick but absolutely lovely. Lived to the grand old age of 10.5 yrs.

7. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

A friend has one. They are awesome humbling and devastatingly distinguished. Every time Tamzin comes up to me I feel privileged. She is 5, her mum died 2 months ago aged 9. It is heartbreaking but for the majesty I think its worth it. If I had the space.........

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

We are always benched next to them at shows,
    there is a teeny tiny lady, she must be 4foot 9 and she walks two of the most beautiful I have ever seen around the showground

I love watching them interact with their owners, they are so fantastic, loyal and quietly intelligent.
    I did watch one nudge his mum for a cuddle and throw her coffee everywhere too :D He put his head right under her armpit and chucked her arm up :) just like Willow does to me :)

I would love one oneday, all part of scruffy dog love :)

9. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I looked after one many years ago who was just over a year old - all I can say is get a very large pooper scooper and industrial quantities of cleaning products!!!!:p:D
    Lovely dogs but the health problems and lifespan would put me off either breed I'm afraid, they're both prone to bloat so a very observant owner is a must. I've helped vets do 2 bloat ops on deerhounds - one survived one didn't, the breeder who owned them had lost 3 previously to bloat - so sad!
    Character wise the deerhounds from the few I've met are big gawky bouncy things, the wolfhounds have been similar but on a larger scale but seem to have an air of not quite having all the lights switched on upstairs!!:D

10. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I love them too, but would find find myself constantly trying to tame that just got out of bed look.

About longevity - Great Danes are supposed to have a lifespan of just 8years, and many die earlier than that. Our GD lived to be 11, and his auntie was still going strong at 13! Although its no guarantee, looking for a breeding line which is longer lived could mean you have the dog for a decent lifespan.

11. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I met a couple at a show up the road. Louie fit under it. It wasn't even a year old.

I like them and if I had room and money I'd have one. But then I think I wouldn't because as much as I admire a lot of the dogs in the Hound group. I need to have dogs offlead.

And the fact that I'm 5'4" so you know..

12. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

Have heard the dozy clown description of deerhounds from a friend who kept them for years. I think they usually had a bright rescue heinz 57 alongside them for company.
    scruffy, clownish, :laugh: sounds familiar hmm pets n owners.

13. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Me too. I love wolfies, and as a child always wanted one. Then I found out about their life expectancy, and I'm afraid I can't let myself contribute to that (with apologies to anyone who has one, genuinely). Looks and temperament-wise I'm in love.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice