Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Irish setters

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky10, May 18, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Are they really as stupid as everyone thinks or just not big listeners? The one I met was pretty smart but loopy but everyone seems to think they're stupid

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I think they are lurrrvely but the ones I have met have been a bit looney!!!! xxxx

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah definately a bit loopy but stunning

4. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i know a lady that's had them since she can remember, and she wont change her breed she says It can mischievous and independent, intelligent and stubborn, anxious to please and yet determined to have its way if it decides to-go hunting then good luck getting it back :lol:

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Sounds about right!!
    My parents had one when i was growing up,oh i loved that dog,but i was allergic to him and yes he was a complete fruitloop,but defineatly not stupid!!

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

There is meant to be a daft rating in setters - English, Gordon, Red and White and then at the top of the list Irish.

From my experience with R & Ws they are very intelligent, but also have quite a stubborn streak. Nuala was always the quickest to learn new tricks at her classes, but will only do them if there is either a treat on offer or nothing better worth doing at the time. :D

I think they are daft in a potty/loony/fun loving kind of way rather than stupid. I am definitley hooked on R & Ws and can't imagine my life without one (or several) now.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Makes sense just a conversation I had with someone how it got onto Irish setters I'm not sure and he said they were stupid and a lot of people seem to agree. I have to admit they sound like a fun to own

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My first student accomadation was a farmhouse with 4 BC's and 3 Irish Setters (lovely!!:thumbup:). All 3 were a sandwich short of a picnic, Im sure the Collie's must of thought they were'nt quite right up top!LOL

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Lucky you having that as student accomadation

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I know. They also had a big flock of sheep, a river running through the back and a gorgeous Siamese cat. Oh, and not forgetting the Donkey who lived on the island in the middle of the river!
    (Im sure they stole my house....it clearly should have been mine!!:D)

11. zoeoli

zoeoli PetForums Junior

Definitely not stupid but mad as hatters.

I knew someone when I was a kid who was one of those natural animal people ... horses, dogs, cats, they all fell at her feet. She had four Irish setters and they behaved impeccably, but all others I have known have been totally out of control.

So, not for the inexperienced or faint-hearted!:D

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

one of my favourite breeds to look at, but sadly iv never got to meet one up close. there arent many round my bit. ive seen a lady with two who must live near my work.

they look fun loving!!

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They always seem to be smiling. Not sure I could have one but they sound interesting and apparently have a sense of humour

14. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

I think their lovely, well the ones I know! Yes they can act loopy but I think they just like having fun.

I puppy visit/walk a 16wk old Gordon Setter he is so so so adorable, Ill ask if the owners mind me sharing a pic with you lot :)

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yes please Gordons are my favourite setters and they definately seem to have a sense of humour after that one in the agility at Crufts

16. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I watched one on Victoria Stillwells programme It's Me or the Dog, he was obsessed with reflections and licking them!!! xxx

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah I saw that episode beautiful dog. They're bred to have very good eyesight so they can have issues with light sometimes

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Zoe is not stupid in fact she's quite clever. She's just as mad as a box of frogs.:D:D:D:D

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I know a lady who breeds Irish and I think she has 3 of them.... they are certainly loopy, been to Crufts with her a couple of times and it's like a day out on the loony ward around that breed LOL

But they're not stupid at all, they're just a fun-loving breed and I really like them! Don't know that i'd have the patience or stubborness with one though, it'd win me over every time with them eyes!

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They do sound like fun I think I'll stick to more sensible breeds though lol. It just seemed to be such a common belief that they're stupid and I thought that couldn't be right

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice