Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Irish setter puppy incontenance

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ellish, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ellish

ellish PetForums Newbie

We have a 15 week old Irish setter bitch and although she is managing to go all night in the kitchen without going to the toilet, during the day she often leaks wee. This is either when she is alseep in her bed or could be on a knee or just wandering around.

Can anyone offer any advise as to what might be going on here please as its driving us mad.

She is going to the vets tomorrow to discuss but wanted other opinions also.

Thanks

2. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

15 weeks is still very young, Dougie used to do a wee when excited for quite a while

3. ellish

ellish PetForums Newbie

I was thinking that but she often dribbles when she's not excited.

I don't want the vets to instigate anything just for the sake of it

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You can get something called urinary spinchter incompetence but that's usually seen on older spayed bitches more. Classic signs of that is when they are asleep or been laying you will see various size spots of pee where they leak urine. The spinchter which should be water tight becomes lax and lets urine leak out, so you get the leaking and spotting. You can usually get medication to stop that in older dogs.

I haven't heard of it in puppies though, although puppies have very limited capacity still to hold large quantities for long periods and need to urinate more frequently then older dogs. They also don't gain full control for awhile or don't always recognise the need to go far ahead or realise too late anyway. As they are more active and drinking more in the day, then at night too, as at night even with water available they never seem to drink that much overnight if any mostly.

Only other thoughts she may have a bit of a urinary tract infection even.

I would though do what you are doing and get her checked out. It would be worth if you can manage it taking a urine sample in a clean little water tight container for testing to save time.

5. ellish

ellish PetForums Newbie

Thanks, will try and get a sample

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

They can usually tell a lot from a urine sample which is pretty straightforward and not intrusive or particularly expensive, so it would certainly be worth trying to get a sample to take.

7. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Both of my Flatcoat males used to do this when younger. There would be a trail of sprinkles on the floor. It became less frequent as they both got older. I think some breeds are more prone to it that others because the 2 other breeds I have owned (all males) have never had it.

8. Glennyboy

Glennyboy PetForums Newbie

My 2 and a half year old Gordon Setter also sometimes leaks spots of wee when walking across the floor, usually after having been laying down. He hasn't been neutered. He only started doing it approx 2-3 months ago and it's happened 2 or 3 times. Any suggestions as to what could be causing it please?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice