Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Iphone 4 faulty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by samhx, Apr 6, 2011.

1. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

Hi,

Just wanted everyones opinion on this!

I upgraded to an iphone 4 about 8 weeks ago, and had to pay extra money for the phone ontop of my contract.

Well yesterday the phone broke, it wouldnt switch on, nothing happened when I plugged it into charge or anything. Called Vodafone up yesterday and they said Id have a new one today.

Couriers just been to deliver it and its in a plain white box, with just the phone in it. Its got ''iphone 4 con'' on the label.

This is telling me that its more than likely a reconditioned phone. To be honest, if my phone is faulty I would expect a new like for like replacement.

What would everyone else do? Should I call them back up and tell them im not too happy about it?

2. I have had a replacement phone from vodaphone before that has obviously been a used one!
    Do you pay extra insurance for the phone or are you just relying on the warrently!
    Either way - not good customer service in my view, and if I were you I would call them! - which reminds me! I need to get my months notice in with them by tomorrow

DT

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

It isn't a Vodafone thing, it is an Apple thing.

I had this with my iPhone 3GS but it got sent to the shop I got it from. Went in and he got it out of a bag full of air to protect it no case/box. I had my iPhone 3GS for about 2 months so similar time to you when it happened.

Quite simply I told the shop (Car Phone Warehouse) that I would not be impressed if the phone was not 100% perfect in every way and that I would not be taking it home if it wasn't.

Phone was 100% perfect. No scratches or anything. I think its important to realise Apple are not a normal phone company, they do not recondition phones which are a bit battered or very wrong.

To look at a problem your phone has and try to fix it could take months which is why they give you another straight away, but honestly I would not be at all worried or concerned about this, its very normal Apple practise particularly as its not like a week since you bought it and could be software related.

If you are that bothered contact Apple direct, cut out the middle man which is Vodafone. Honestly, a reconditioned iPhone is a like for like brand spanking new iPhone, they don't recondition anything without replacing casing on the 4's I believe.

TBH you are lucky you got sent one out straight away. I think my 4 is a bit faulty and Vodafone said I'd have to wait 10 days for one to come to store and I live in Essex near London so its not like I'm anywhere remote.

#3 GoldenShadow, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. GoldenShadow

I just did a google and see places like three offering reconned iPhone 4's. Apple wont send out a replacement to you which does have any scratches/marks unless it has been missed but you can't really expect them to give out brand new phones to everyone when a lot of people will have dropped the phone or not updated it properly hence caused the problem themselves (not saying you, but it happens a lot). They send out near perfect ones (often which had a mechanical fault which has been rectified) immediately to people with problems which I think is fantastic enough.

5. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

We had this problem with a 3 day old Iphone 3gs ended up buying a new Iphone4 as they sent us a replacement used 3gs which wasnt on at all :( we ended up cancelling the contract as we was still in our calling off period it is general practice.

Open the box check the condition of the phone there might not be nothing to worry about. Have you still got the old handset or have they taken it away already? as if you hold the lock key and menu key together or a prolonged period it will do a hard reset of the phone thought it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps;

6. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

Just called them, and was told that a reconditioned model is classed as a like for like replacement and that they couldnt do anything about this. Obviously im not happy at all, I requested that my old phone was repaired and sent back to me and they cant do that either! Least I'd know it was my phone, god knows what could of happened to this one they've sent me!!

7. frosty2010

On that note Apple will change the case of the phone if it isnt in perfect condition before sending it out.

Hope this helps. :D

8. frosty2010

You would of been better off taking it to an Apple store instead of phoning vodaphone :(

9. GoldenShadow

Honestly if you want your phone back you could be waiting months. You might never get it back if its unfixable. Do you really want to hang around for months with no replacement phone on the off chance they might be able to fix yours?

Apple WILL NOT send out replacements if they are not fantastic because quality is everything to them. Look at it this way, Apple take back phones often enough without even being shown what is wrong, half the time people send them back just to get a new phone which is half the reason they do reconned ones it stops a few of those people bothering. Would you rather be sat here with the likes of another phone manufacturer you saying but it is faulty them saying but we think you did it? Apple just say yes OK we'll have it back here is another. They don't doubt you, question you or make you go ages without a phone. I think they should be applauded for that.

If you don't like it maybe next time don't get an iPhone. I mean what do you honestly think might have happened to the phone you now have that would mean you wouldn't want it?

I'm not 100% whether or not they could easily with the 3GS's but have been told they do with the 4's so its not like there can be anything majorly wrong.

Vodafone have done nothing wrong here though and done as Apple instruct them too to be fair.

10. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The case of the phone looks brand new so im guessing this has been replaced!

I'll just leave it and see how I get on. I rang Consumer Direct and Vodafone have to either repair or replace any phones on contract but they take into account the amount of usage that it would of had (was only 8 weeks old), which is why they send out reconditioned ones.

For some reason I'm on a business contract, have no idea why but I think thats why they sent out a replacement straight away.

11. GoldenShadow

That makes sense if its a business one.

Honestly Apple don't send out reconditioned ones which aren't in fantastic nick. They tend to get a few phones with the same problems sent in and try to solve and fix them in batches hence yours might not even get looked at for a fair few weeks.

I was a bit like you when I sent in my 3GS as it had brand new screen protectors on and I was like umm but I can't put them on a new phone its not my fault mine is knackered etc but it was just tough luck.

Phones that are damaged through being dropped etc I doubt they would even repair, and if anything goes wrong with this one they will just give you another, and another, and another etc no questions asked :)

12. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

I give credit to Vodafone for getting a phone out to me straight away, I just wasnt too happy after I'd paid quite alot of money for it that I'd be sent a second hand one. It could have been water damaged or anything, but the guy on the phone said they would never recondition anything like that. He said it could be a phone that someones sent back in the cooling off period and theres actually been nothing wrong with it.

I'll just take his word for it :)

As for not getting another iphone, I love them! Had the 3gs before this one, liked it so thats why I upgraded.

13. GoldenShadow

What he said is what I have been told/heard. Often I think they have little bugs that software updates don't remove and Apple fix them in batches and if they don't pass tests they don't get sent out to people end of.

I think Apple are just very different to a lot of other phone companies and companies in general. As in they feel a second hand iPhone is as good as a brand new one and they really can fix them if something is wrong with their mechanics.

I might try and do mine through Apple if I send it back, don't fancy 10 days with no phone :(

14. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

10 days is quite a long time! Previously with other phones that I've had they've took upto 10 days but always had a phone given to me to use while mine was sent away! Its always been just a bog standard phone but atleast I've had something to use.

This is the first time I've rang them up with a fault and been sent something straight away!

15. GoldenShadow

I bet that is the joy of being a business customer..! I pay £40 a month so its not like mine's a massively cheap contract I'd hope for better than 10 days and for some sort of temporary thing but noooo :rolleyes:

I'm not buying a temporary phone though, I refuse to I'm resentful that I should need one with an iPhone lol!

Its just weighing up whether the faults are worthy of 10 days with no phone :rolleyes:

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I think I'd be a tad annoyed if that happened to me.
    My brother's girlfriend got an Iphone 3GS with Vodafone a few months back and the sim card slot would not open, they sent her out a brand new one the next day.

17. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

I have no idea why Im a business customer lol! I think when I had a Blackberry about 3 years ago I'd rang up for insurance which was supposed to be £7 but she said I could get business insurance for £3.50 so thats what I had and I think i've been classed as a business customer since then....

My contracts £40 a month too so its not cheap! Whats actually wrong with the phone?

18. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

hi i havent read all your replys,
    but i heard one of my friends saying the other day her i phone wouldnt switch on.she had to plug it into the computer and run a series of updates from apple.eventually after much scratching of heads it switched back on.and has been fine since.but it took several attempts and a lot of patience.
    i hope i have helped.

19. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I regularly had to arrange for phones for business and I found that the handset for Blackberry's etc broke down on a regular basis because they send out reconditioned handsets - the only way really to ensure you get a new handset is to upgrade to the next model.

20. GoldenShadow

Sometimes its quite slow to react and has crashed a couple times. You press the home button to wake it up and go to unlock it and it doesn't react probably 1 in 10 times. On two occassions I've wondered why I've had no texts for ages, look and see I have no signal, so turn my phone off and on and loads flood in (wasn't on flight mode or anything). Other times it says I have a signal but calls haven't come through or I haven't been able to make them, that's happened about four times.

Just not sure if it warrants 10 days without a phone when I'm paying £40 a month...My insurance for this was going to be £12.99 so I'm not even insured, I was like nahhhh it'll be alright lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice