Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Io's ripped off a chunk of wallpaper..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hanwombat, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

... in the kitchen whoops!!

Sorry landlord!! Hmmmm repaint kitchen in a months me thinks :rolleyes: :p

2. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Just what you need!! :(

I'm so thankful Runa hasn't started chewing that much!! She really likes her stag bar and she has had a run about with a few shoes but so far I've been really lucky!!

Sorry but how do you pronounce IO name? :eek:

3. Hanwombat

Io is pronounced as its spelt so I-O

Shes chewed the kitchen skirting board and now the wallpaper, shes in the kitchen when I am at work.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Can you not crate her or use a puppy pen? Threads like this are why I am so reluctant to let my house to pet owners and consider them on a case by case basis.

5. Hanwombat

I work full time so don't fancy having her in a cage whilst I am at work (pet sitter comes twice a day)

Puppy pen to begin with but shes soon got bigger and my kitchen isn't big enough

6. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I keep Runa in a pen when I'm not in or when I can't supervise her.

It's definitely worth the hassle as she won't be able to get to things to damage them!

Runa's pen is set up in the living room with a Lino offcut flooring so any messes are easy to clean up. She does have a bit of a bark and a howl but she settles almost immediately now :)

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well, guess the landlord will just have to suck it up then :rolleyes:.

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Use a pen you can alter and put it around the kitchen to give it more protection?

Tbh, I would be having her crated at this stage for her own safety! You never know what she might get into :(

9. Hanwombat

Well I guess he will then won't he

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Better to have her in a pen or crate than her loose and in danger of chewing the wrong thing and seriously hurting herself imo. Plus it stops chewing the house from becoming a habit if she only has access to the right things to chew.

11. Hanwombat

There isn't much to chew in the kitchen and the things she can chew I have put vicks on and she doesn't touch it, can't exactly vick the whole wallpaper.

Hardly see if as a problem, can always strip the wallpaper and paint the kitchen, it needs a paint anyways.

She'd be in her crate most of the day and I don't like that idea.

12. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

I know you might not like using a crate or puppy pen but think of the safety issues too and it's not fair on the landlord after all its his house.

Try some bitter apple spray for the chewing or you will be placed with a big bill when you leave. It happened to me we replaced and fixed any damage the dog did and went way beyond what needed to be done after that we still had to have our carpets professionally cleaned and still got billed for a new carpet.

Even now I have to crate cali when am at work luckily it's only 5 hour working shift its not ideal but it works we are up super early for walks then I get two breaks at work where I come home and play and fuss her then back in the crate until my partner gets home then walks again. It's not alot of time she is in there as of a night I shut it so she doesn't have be in there alot for me it's a safety issue and I don't want her chewing the new house which I know she will, I learned the hard way and had a big bill, I would rather have a bill any day than cali hurting her self chewing something she shouldn't knowing I could have prevented it by just using a crate.

#12 CaliDog, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  13. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I really think you need to find some way of keeping her contained. Aside from the damage she's doing to the house she could potentially injure herself chewing and swallowing stuff she shouldn't.

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It's nice to see how much respect you have for him and his house, very responsible of you. Lots of landlords are ordinary people struggling to pay a mortgage. They should not have to make good damage done by pets. Tenants say they will but always go for the cheapest cover up possible. I expect "normal wear and tear" but have been stung very badly in the past.

15. Hanwombat

We don't have carpet so no problem there.

There isn't really anything to chew in the kitchen and as I mentioned anything she could chew I have put vicks on and she hasn't touched it. Can only get the wallpaper and not all the kitchen is wallpapered.

16. Hanwombat

I actually have a lot of respect for his house so don't go saying I don't. You don't even know him! The people who lived here never let any air in the house over winter so the whole house was riddled with damp so I hardly think a little bit of wallpaper is the end of the world!

My landlord isn't struggling to pay a mortgage he has a huge house of his own and has a wealthy job. Who care if shes ripped the wallpaper, doesn't take long to strip it all and repaint.... he can gladly take it off the £1000 deposit we paid, thats what its there for.

17. Hanwombat

Can't seem to win, load of other forums are like 'Oh its cruel to crate a puppy all day bla bla bla' so I give her the kitchen and now I get told off for it, can't seem to do anything correct!

I work 9-5 Mon - Fri so I guess I was being a nice owner by letting her have a little freedom, suppose I'm just a crap owner then.

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

You don't know if he struggles or not do you? How on earth can you know what other financial commitments he may have? Just easier to respect his house (maybe he doesn't want the paper removed and the walls painted) in the first place.

19. Hanwombat

You don't know him, he honestly isn't all the fussed, he seems the type that as long as its repaired he doesn't care. As I say he's had our deposit, I'll pay for have it done if hes that bothered.

Perhaps I'll just have to rethink everything, rethinking getting a puppy in the first place if I can't seem to do anything correct.

20. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Um...you'll be amazed what a dog can chew in a kitchen...I once had a dog that chewed a whole kitchen unit, and he had nowhere near the chewing power that my rottie boy has.

My BIL's golden retriever puppies ate their way through the wall into the living room one day while he was at work.

I wouldn't underestimate the damage she can do in a kitchen to the actual room or herself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice