Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Io - Raw, little worried

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hanwombat, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I got some chicken wings the other day and gave one to Io, she wasn't doing too bad but then started making a choking / coughing noise. Me being a silly worried mummy too it off her. Should I have just left her to it? I was just worried she'd do it again and choke or something.

Could I try her on tripe? Raw is all new to me, I am looking to put her onto some wet food for the time being - Lukullus, which is more than 70% meat, to have as two meals a day with the applaws dry as one meal.

2. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

Hi..
    I'm seriously thinking of switching to Raw for Max, really just trying to research it so i really dont have any advice but i do hope someone can help you. I look forward to reading the replies to your post and see if they can help me at all too.

Raw definitely seems to be the way to go but in all honesty i am still a little apprehensive about starting... i'm a silly worried mummy too! ;)

3. Hanwombat

Glad its not just me. I can't completely go raw at the moment as don't have any freezer space to keep the meat and can't afford to buy another freezer yet.

Its difficult, I want to for now just feed her wet food but she needs so much a day its too expensive. So I thought about feeding her both dry and wet and perhaps have some raw a few times a week as well because as I said I can't fit much meat in my freezer.

:skep: haha

4. Mumtomaddog

Thats another thing too... freezer space, i already have a fridge freezer and two ordinary Freezers!.. really dont want anymore.

I'm in Northern Ireland so i dont know anywhere that would even deliver it to me here if i did have the space... I think the Natural Instinct place is England though i'm sure they have places dotted about.. really seem to be stuck as to what to do.. I guess i could try and buy just small amounts from the Butcher and see how we go. Really dont know where to start though :confused:

Can i ask what wet food you're feeding her at the moment please?

5. Hanwombat

I haven't started her on it yet but will be this week - its Lukullus. Look on Zooplus :)

6. Mumtomaddog

Ah ok, will look at that, thanks very much :)

7. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

When I first started feeding kiva raw I used to keep hold of one end :) not only does it stop them swallowing it whole, it gets them used to your hands being near their food :D we had a few moments where she swallowed some and appeared to be choking, but she would just sort of cough it up then re chew it :rolleyes:

8. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

When dogs are first starting on raw it's not uncommon for them to swallow a piece too large and regurgitate it up, sometimes accompanied by white froth. They'll then chew it a bit more and swallow again.

You have to bear in mind the purpose of "chewing" for dogs. It's simply make it small enough to swallow so it gets to the stomach as that's where digestion starts. This is different to humans for example where digestion starts in the mouth.

9. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

I am trying to give Axel some chicken wings, but when I gave him one last night I got slightly worried.. I know that everyone says that wings and necks are best to start with because the bones are soft etc. but the way the bone broke in the wing just looked really scary! I was trying to hold on to one end but it just looked as if if he will try to swallow a bit with bone in it it would be too sharp:001_unsure:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice