Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Invisible Fence

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Starlite, May 15, 2010.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I 'm probably showing my ignorance, but am i the only person who thinks these are a bit stupid?
    Wont a dog be confused that he is being shocked for no physical reason they can see or comprehend? And i dont agree with the fact the dog is shocked in the 1st place :mad:

Why not just put up a fence as it alot safer imo

Invisible Fence ® Brand

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

yard i used to be on had this.... the dogs probably got a quick shock the first couple of times. But they never used to go over the lines really

If you have a farm with a few hundred acres, its not very easy to put a dog proof fence up...

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Sure, it is. Just fence off a smaller area.

4. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

Why would you be letting a dog roam free and unsupervised over such an area?

If you search for these invisible fence things on youtube, there are loads of videos of unsuspecting people using them, much to the amusement of their friends. Try this one

Funny as it may be on a teenager, I am sure it is not quite so much fun for a dog and whether it actually works or not is irrelevant, shock collars and 'training aids' are just simply barbaric.

5. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

Yeah. I agree that they're stupid, except maybe if you have animals who always find a way to escape or something, but putting an electric fence up which they can't see is just cruel! They can't even decide if they want to turn around because they can't see a fence -_-

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

i think these fences are terrible - they advertise the things as if the dog doesnt get shocked as it understands what to do or that it doesnt hurt if it is shocked - but the only way it would work is if it hurt otherwise why would it deter the dog.!!!?

apart from any of the reasons of cruelty, the most immediate issue that I can see with these is that IF the dog did get past the fence (and this is actually a common occurrence) then it could be too scared to get back in!! :mad:

a more worrying thing would be that the dog would not understand why it is being shocked, so if it happens to be shocked whilst looking at a child for instance, or a man or a car etc etc, dogs are very good at associating that one instance of shock and pain with the thing they were looking at - so suddenly you can find youself with a dog who is scared of children/men/cars etc (whatever they saw while being shocked) - the same problem as with any physically aversive methods - and this fear can also turn into aggression very easily :( Not saying this would happen with every dog, but its not worth the risk surely when there are more responsible and humane methods!

#6 katiefranke, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

When I was a dog warden, I used to know a dog warden of another area where several homes had these fences in use. On two or three occasions she had to go out to dogs who were terrified of going back into their own gardens even though there did not seem to be a fence there! The poor things had shot through the invisible fence at high speed when they saw cats on the other side who had simply run over the boundary. Because the dogs had the collars on with the transmitters, they had got awful shocks when chasing after the cats and associated the pain and discomfort with the boundary of their gardens hence were scared to go back!

Blinking stupid things if you ask me and Johnderondon is right. If your 'garden' or land is too big to fence economically, simply fence off a smaller area just for the dog! It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

They are good for some dogs but not all!!

Greyhounds are so quick, they could fly past

Good recall and patience are the key.

And if you don't want your dogs in a certain area, don''t let them get there in the first place

Or if you don't have a choice then fence off the bit properly instead of using these ridiculous, senseless, stupid devices!!

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They're evil things most dogs will at some point run right through them causing them to be scared of their own gardens sometimes. Make sure it's secure even if you have a lot of property you surely have the room to fence off an area for your dogs

10. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

In the respect of our dogs the land is theirs and they instinctively know their boundaries.
    However, it has been our experience that you can actually teach a dog to stay within the confines of a specific area without the need for fencing or the nuisance of chains or ropes to restrict them to that area or the freedom of their movement. :thumbup:

11. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I actually know of several happy dogs who have these installed, they never leave their garden, and are very well behaved. However I personally wouldn't use one.

12. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Yes I do to, what works for some may not work for others...each to their own I guess!! xxx

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You find a lot of dogs aren't chained up on farms... And they do not have little yards fenced off for them..
    As a kid ours just roamed the lad.. We had a few jack russels and they all used to stall within the land..

So is electric fencing cruel for Horses and cattle aswell???

#13 momentofmadness, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice