UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how to introduce Elsa/Gracie (not decided yet!!) to my 2. I am sure Pixie will have no problems with her and not hiss once :) Jumpy might hiss a bit at first, he certainly can when he wants to, but he only does so if he thinks the other cat will hiss or growl at him. He has tried to make friends with neighbourhood cats, but they have been the ones doing the growling!! :)

So I have 2 options really of how to start the process - I could either put her in the bathroom and let them start sniffing her from there, or put her into my small garden pen (that Pixie used when she was younger). I want to put her in the garden pen ideally (in her carrier) to start things off, I think it would help Jumpy if he can see her and see that she is a calm cat. Obviously this will depend on the weather though! Then I can move her up to the bathroom in the evening, if they're not ready to mix. Does this sound a good plan? :confused:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this is a good site
Integrating Cats
Thanks, some very good tips on there! :)

I think it's best not to have a prolonged time when they can smell the newbie but not see them. I am just hoping that Jumpy doesn't want to stay outside because of their being a newbie around, but Jumpy is used to seeing other cats in the garden, so once he sees that she is not going to challenge him, I think he should be fine :) If she goes into the bathroom for the first evening, the other 2 will still have their usual run of the downstairs and can come up and sniff her under the door whenever they want. The door is on a latch which leaves it slightly ajar, so they might even start playing tag under the door - Jumpy and Pixie love doing that!! (And so did Treacle!!) :)

G

·
I have found that although my experience is slightly different just take it slowly and don't have any expectations as the cats won't do as you think. I certainly did not expect Eric to stay outside even when Phoebe (my daughter) went to bed. I also did not expect Betsy to hiss at Kizzy. At least the growling seems to have stopped and they are starting to tolerate each other better.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my adult mc hissed at elsa but she just sat and looked at her.
maybe pm mlb to see whats going on there as she has cats and dogs.:)
She has told me that Elsa hasn't hissed once :)

Her cats are very good with others though. Elsa is scared of her dogs, but I don't have any dogs, so I think things will be fine! :)

When we first had Pixie aged 11 weeks, Jumpy did growl at her a bit, but she was very vocal and kept meowing loudly which he didn't like, he thought she was starting an argument!! :laugh:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have found that although my experience is slightly different just take it slowly and don't have any expectations as the cats won't do as you think. I certainly did not expect Eric to stay outside even when Phoebe (my daughter) went to bed. I also did not expect Betsy to hiss at Kizzy. At least the growling seems to have stopped and they are starting to tolerate each other better.
Can I just ask, what room is Betsy in? :confused:

I am going to put Elsa in the bathroom in the evening, and put my Feliway plugin in the kitchen. I can also spray the kitchen with Odour remover so her smell is not in there, so hopefully Jumpy will want to come in and not realise she is still there! :)

G

·
Betsy started off in her travelling cage which has holes all the way around so she and the others could see each other. However she is now in the lounge when I am in and the others are free to come and go as they please and Kizzy has done so but not Eric although he poked his head in yesterday evening but promptly went again. He is not even using his (and Kizzy's) cupboard and beds where Betsy is not allowed. I did leave Betsy and Kizzy alone for a few minutes earlier when I popped out to pick up Phoebe but they were both asleep and I returned with them both in the same place but felt that it would be okay to do that. At night or if I am out for a long period of time she is in the hall and the other 2 in their cupboard and the door is shut. I am hoping she will eventually be able to go in the cupboard with the others and will leave the door open so they have access to the hall as well. However things are very quiet here as we are a peaceful household most of the time! I just feel she may benefit from another kitten to play with but at the moment she seems quite happy and chilled out.

G

·
Betsy is a kitten...why are you having problems with her already.
I am not having problems with Betsy - sorry if anything I have written indicated that. I was just surprised that she hissed back at Kizzy when she hissed at her that is all as I did not expect it. The only thing I am concerned with is that she has not been to poo.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Betsy started off in her travelling cage which has holes all the way around so she and the others could see each other. However she is now in the lounge when I am in and the others are free to come and go as they please and Kizzy has done so but not Eric although he poked his head in yesterday evening but promptly went again. He is not even using his (and Kizzy's) cupboard and beds where Betsy is not allowed. I did leave Betsy and Kizzy alone for a few minutes earlier when I popped out to pick up Phoebe but they were both asleep and I returned with them both in the same place but felt that it would be okay to do that. At night or if I am out for a long period of time she is in the hall and the other 2 in their cupboard and the door is shut. I am hoping she will eventually be able to go in the cupboard with the others and will leave the door open so they have access to the hall as well. However things are very quiet here as we are a peaceful household most of the time! I just feel she may benefit from another kitten to play with but at the moment she seems quite happy and chilled out.
What is this cupboard where they go, do they like to sleep in there? I hope they are not shut in there or anything?? :confused:

When we got Pixie, we made the mistake of having her in the kitchen, but the other cats had to walk past her bed to come in and out. Is there nowhere other than the lounge where you could have Betsy for now?

G

·
It is a cupboard under the stairs and that is where their beds and food/water is and they have access to their litter tray through a hole in the wall. My cats are very happy and are not neglected in any way. I did not mention the cupboard to start a debate.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
When I got Rosie, patsy from Persian rescue told me to show Oscar her in her carrier and gauge the reaction, then to open the door and see if she would get out - I did this and also had a dog crate set up in the living room to put her in if I needed to, but I never needed to put her in it! I hope your intros go as smoothly as mine did :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I got Rosie, patsy from Persian rescue told me to show Oscar her in her carrier and gauge the reaction, then to open the door and see if she would get out - I did this and also had a dog crate set up in the living room to put her in if I needed to, but I never needed to put her in it! I hope your intros go as smoothly as mine did :)
Thanks :) I am hoping to let them sniff her in the carrier first and see her so that they can see she is a gentle cat :) If I just let them smell her without seeing her at all, I think Jumpy may be more scared as he would be able to smell a new cat, and the 2 neighbouring cats he has met (and tried to befriend) have not been very friendly!!

So my plan is to put her either into my garden run (ideally) so they can meet her safely through the bars to begin with, or into my bathroom where they can meet her in the carrier, then she can have it as a safe room to begin with. I hope the weather will be nice enough for introductions in the garden really! At the moment they are forecasting rain for Sat, which I hope will not arrive!!! :001_unsure:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.