Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introductions gone bad!! Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by we_mustnt_panic, Jul 26, 2009.

1. we_mustnt_panic

we_mustnt_panic PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We have just recently (last Sunday) got a new maine coon kitten and our two female moggies are extremely put out by the situation. Having read all the advise think I went about it from the beginning all wrong :( Introductions were made the first day with no build up and the two older cats have freaked out and basically moved out. We have since been trying to keep them in and seeing if they will sort it out amongt themselves but they aren't getting any better, the older cats hiss growl and try to run away every time they see the kitten. They seem really stressed in themselves and in turn this is making us all really miserable... The kitten is a lovely boy who doesn't really seem all that bothered by it but he won't be left on his own as he cries as soon as he's alone and doesn't stop. Really don't know what to do, don't want to give up and take him back but doesn't seem fair on the existing cats to keep him.... What should I do?

2. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Hiya please don't panic! I'd say fact they are running away an not at the kitten is a good thing. We just introduced a new kitten a couple weeks ago to our year old and she still hisses and growls but mainly jut can't be bothered and takes herself off somewhere quiet (our don't get out). Yesterday we introduced another new kitten and as usual the eldest isn't fussed bar the occasional hiss on the way past but the middle one is hissing, growling and pawing the wee one. Nobody has been hurt and I just hope they sort it out but from what I have read on here a week isn't long and I don't think too much cause for concern.

My mum introduced a new kitten to her 18month old ragdoll yesterday and she is worried as the eldest charge the kit pins him down and appears to bite him so it could be worse!

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

It took me a month to get my bengal to accept my tiffanie kitten, they are both indoor cats though. If I were you id keep them all in for now, do you feed them in the same room? You can move the feed bowls closer everyday that helps. Also putting them in their carriers facing eachother a few times a day for a little while helps. This is the hard bit, there will be jealousy so try not to pick up and over fuss your new kitten in front of the other two, give them lots of praise and attention when they come in the room with the kitten. Betula took a week to even be in the same room. swapping their blankets round is another one. If your moggies are playful then try and encourage them to interact with play, thats how i eventually got betule to accept crystal. Its takes alot of time and patience dont give up yet, you have to be strong and allow the cats to sort themselves out, the kitten needs to know who's boss.

4. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

When we got two kitteens our eldest cat Thomas was not impressed in the least. In fact he reacted in much the same way as your two have.

In fact at one point he even moved out into our brick built shed. Its now been two months and Thomas now plays with the kittens and even sleeps in the same space as them. However the one thing he won't do at present is eat in the same room as them.

5. we_mustnt_panic

we_mustnt_panic PetForums Newbie

thanks for your replies will keep going for now, kitten's just taken a bit of a beating from the elder but he still doesn't seem bothered, just wants to play! As long as the other two get better eventually it'll all be worth it i suppose.

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh it always looks worse, kittens are tougher than they look!

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Please don't panic and give up ! these things take time i should know i have 8 !! thing's will be ropey for a while, but i'm sure in the end they will except him, when we got Thomas ( who is 12 years old !! ) there was alot of cuffing and splitting and mine running away .. and now the kittens to they have learned how to get on ( Thomas has been an only cat all his life and spoilt ! ) but were getting there and as for the kittens now they are being treated like their my girls kittens ! :D xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice