UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First time on here, just wanted a bit of advice really.

We originally had three cats who got on very well with each other apart from the odd spat,they grew up together but now due to old age we are just left with one who is 15. We lost our second cat about 2 months ago now and our remaining cat pined for about 6 weeks, and still has odd moments, she can be a bit of a sensitive soul

Sooooo, we decided to get another cat and read up on it, about keeping them seperate to start with etc etc, so that we could be as prepared as possible and give both cats the best chance. Then my partner went to the rehoming centre and has fallen in love with TWO cats who have been there about a year and the rehoming centre would prefer them to be rehomed together,

They are 4 and 7 years old, very friendly and the rehoming centre says they get on well with other cats

the dilemma is, will introducing two new cats be even more stressful for our old girl that we have left. We really just want to do what is best for her, and we dont want to stress her out in the autumn of her life, but at the same time, these two cats need a home too. I understand that even getting one will upset the balance for a while, will two upset it even more?? Or is it a case of, it doesnt make much difference, one or two

Would be grateful for any advice, thanks xxx

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know a great deal but I would think a common sense approach to introducing cats would be advisable.

SHort meeting for the first few days, supervised, seperate if it turns ugly.

I'm in my 2nd week of My 10 week old kitten living with my established older cat.

These were a few fights at first and hissing but now they pretty much love each other and don't like to be apart.

When they play its quite rough and uncomfortable to watch sometimes but when I pull them apart they just want to get back together.

The kitten usually initiates the play.

But my older cat is only 11 months so is still a kitten herself.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
The thing is the new cats may get on well with other cats, as the Shelter has said, but your cat may not get on with them.

In the past I successfully introduced 2 x 3 month old kittens to my old neutered male cat aged 15 years. His lifelong companion (his sister) had died several months earlier and he had been lonely and very clingy and anxious ever since. So although I had originally intended not to get any more cats whilst he was alive, I decided to take the risk, as I hoped it would be company for him.

To my great relief, it turned out well. :) My old boy was a very sweet-natured cat and he accepted the kittens without a fuss after a week or two. Eventually he and the male kitten became close friends, and it was lovely to see them together, sharing a chair.:) They remained friends until the end, when my old cat died 5 years later.

However, my old cat was very non-aggressive and the kittens were BSH (a breed renowned for being laid back and good natured), and I think it was this combination that allowed the integration to work so well.

I would be concerned your old cat could find it very threatening 2 new cats suddenly appearing in her territory. If so, this could make her very stressed and you might even find her displaying inappropriate behaviour in the home (not wanting to alarm you, just saying it is a possibility).

Introducing 2 grown cats is a different thing to integrating a 3 month old kitten (or even 2 kittens). Although there would be no guarantee she would accept a kitten either.

Personally I would not attempt bringing in 2 new cats myself, simply on the basis I would not want to risk upsetting the old cat in her senior years. She may be happier on her own.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can't tell how an individual cat will react to new ones. In my experiance they've always accepted each other after a while, even if they never become friends. It will certainly be easier on the new ones to go as a pair into a new home with a resident cat.Make sure you spoil the old one and that she can get away from them.
I've recently got 2 kittens and have been delighted at how quickly my deaf old cat (16 1/2) has accepted them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.