Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing slow eater to household with a gobbler

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JoPedder, May 12, 2019.

1. JoPedder

JoPedder PetForums Newbie

Hi, we are soon to be bringing a 2 yo Jack russell home. His current owners let him graze on kibble all day. Our existing doodle, Bella, wolfs food down her food (and anything potentially edible that she comes across.) We use a specially shaped bowl to slow her down. The cats eat on a work top so Bella doesn't gobble their food.

How can I manage the dog's feeding?

Thanks

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Feed them seperately? And get the 'new' dog onto fixed meal routine (like your other dog) - it's not a good idea to let them graze when they feel like it (for various reasons - especailly if you have more than one dog). Then, once you've conquered that you may be able to feed them alongside one another.

Lurcherlad, JoanneF, JoPedder and 2 others like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

This....
    My lurcher came from a grazing household. It's not something I like to see personally, and when I have I don't like it.

She settled in from day one, with having meals offered and would eat all meals.

I think dogs are quick to pick up on new routines; quicker than many of us give them credit for.

You might need a similar bowl for the new addition, being a terrier I find they are usually all or nothing type of dogs! It wouldn't do any harm per se any way as most slow feeders also provide enrichment.

JoPedder likes this.
  4. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

We've got a gobbler. Our other dogs have mostly been normal eaters, but for eight years we had alongside the gobbler a slow eater with overly good manners, who didn't want to eat if he thought the other dog wanted it more. For some years we tried feeding in separate rooms, but in latter years had more success feeding them eight feet apart in the same room with me standing between them snarling at the greedy dog (and, in the early days, physically dragging her back) whenever she tried to go for the other dog's bowl. When he had finished and backed off from his empty bowl, Greedyguts was allowed to lick it out on the word "Okay". It took a while for her to grudgingly admit that I was in command, and for him to accept that he was not supposed to give his meal to her, but it worked out well in the end. We never got to the stage where I could take my eye off the greedy one!

JoPedder likes this.
  5. JoPedder

Thank you so much for the speedy comments!

Well that sounds relatively simple.

I am intending on getting Ted off his feed all day habit, so hopefully he will adjust well and eat a proper meal twice a day and it won't be an issue. Do you think I should go straight in with that routine, or sean him on to it somehow?

I'm happy to watch over them at meal times as she eats just after us so there are plenty of eyes in the kitchen to be on it. I think that would work better than them being in a separate room and there is space for them to have plenty of distance.

V excited - new addition to the family probably being picked up next weekend. :Happy

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have a soft crate in my living area so I can put one dog in the crate to eat and the other free. Both dogs feel more comfortable I think because they know there’s no way the other is getting to their food.

JoPedder and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I would start as you mean to go on .

I wouldn't create an issue before it's begun per se.

If I go to a friend's house who allows her dog to graze all day. The first thing we do is remove the food bowl because otherwise, my dog would just eat and eat given chance. Her dog isn't going to miss an opportunity every now and again not to have access to food.

The main problems with owning multidogs is fighting over resources; this includes food. So just feed your new dog, as you do your old and he's bound to pick it up what's expected!

If he's reluctant to eat initially, it's probably more to do with having a new home environment than anything else.

JoPedder and Torin. like this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It could help get him started on eating proper meals at set times if you offer something nicer than just kibble. Mixing in some canned food or raw mince may well help, and if you give the same to your existing dog, it could tip her perception of the new dog coming into the home into a more positive framework. Once the new dog is eating proper meals, gradually reduce the canned meat until they're both back on plain kibble, if that's what you want.

JoPedder and Torin. like this.
  9. JoPedder

Ohh, that's a good idea. I'll definitely do that. Special dinners to help ease the change! Our son is having special dinners as its SATs week this week; we're already in the routine!

I've never fed raw meat to our animals, anything special need to be considered? I used to keep rats and was told to not feed them raw meat or they'd get a taste for it and bite. Probably tosh, but I was young and so was the internet so I believed what I was told!

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can get bags of free-flow raw mince from most pet shops. Thaw out before feeding - most dogs love it. Canned would do just as well, or something like sardines (not in brine) or if your kids won't eat all their sausages, chop up and feed those.
    They also used to say dogs would get a taste for flesh and eat people, but that's rubbish too.

Bugsys grandma, JoPedder and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice