Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing rats and dog???

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Peanutbuttersmum, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Peanutbuttersmum

Peanutbuttersmum PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I have just become a mummy to my new addition t the house, Charlie, the 1yo border collie. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on introducing Charlie to Peanut and Butter? He has sniffed the cage, but backs away from them when they go near, and cleaning them out today was rather stressful for Charlie, I did get Peanut, my friendliest rattie, out for Charlie to sniff, but this was only brief as I wasn't sure how either would react!

Any advice my lovely rattie friends???

2. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't introduce them at all-there's no need.It'll stress the rats out.I keep Milly (greyhound) away when the rats are out.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I agree, I dont let the dogs and rats have any out of cage contact. They do come in contact through the bars and they get along ok but I wouldnt risk it without the bars being there.

4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

I've always had rats before I got blade my german shepherd so he's grew up around rats. But I wouldn't go sticking a rat in front of an unknown dog that you've not had long.

Blade isn't keen on the boys because a few years back while I had the rats on the sofa blade went up to them with his nose and the ratties bit his nose (ouch) ever since then he's not interested but there are times when he goes up to the cage to say hello and they sniff at him through the bars.
    But if ever my mums dogs come up to the house the rats strike at the cage bars and attack :prrr:

5. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

I introduced my dog to my rats because I wanted to get her used to small animals; she's also great with mum's rabbits. When I first got them she just kept sniffing the bars and being curious until she got used to them; I then let her say hello to them whilst I was stroking them and they were fine. I never get the rats out while my dog is in the room as it only takes a quick nip or for one rat to scurry over her and my dog to react without thinking, not really worth the risk.

6. silly hilly

silly hilly PetForums Newbie

if you really want your dog and rats to get along take it very very slowly, I always do intro with the rats on my knee and let the dogs come and sniff.

I have 7 dogs and all are wonderful with my rats, the little ones are quite oblivious to the dogs, some even playing with them.

I must reiterate though, be careful, I have been very fortunate and I know my dogs inside out

[​IMG]

7. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

With my dogs, they are fine watching the mice in the cage, but I'd never let them out together. I know they would eat it -.-

8. silly hilly

silly hilly PetForums Newbie

this is Etienne in the pouch, 6 week old baby gambian pouched rat, neeting Rory and Sacha... and yes that is him on my tee shirt:D[​IMG]

9. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Depends what your dog's like. My collie is scared of small furries and won't go near them. My little dog on the other hand, has been bought up with rodents all his life, and adores them. He will play with the 4 rats for ages on the living room floor, they love running around him and he loves them. Obvs I stay in the room with them, but I have no problem whatsoever letting him out with them, I trust him 100% and know him inside out.

10. A R 3

A R 3 PetForums Member

sorry to change the subject but
    what about with a cat?
    my cat has a lower hunting drive or instinct, whatever you want to call it
    he's only ever caught one mouse (wild)
    but very docile
    just is it worth the risk do you think?
    but okay to sniff though the cage?

11. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Cats have very sharp claws one swipe and it could mean an eye lost or throat cut and it may mean only play to them! I just wouldn't!

12. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

My soft soppy cat killed and ate a hamster when it managed to get out of the cage....

13. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I wouldn't risk it tbh, I trust my cat with anything BUT she is a cat and one careless swipe could cause serious problems.

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Don't do it. Cats aren't dogs, they don't do 'no' and 'leave it' like dogs can be trained to, and dogs don't have razor sharp claws they can lash out with either. They can lash out in the blink of an eye and you won't react quick enough to stop it. For the same reason, don't let them meet through the bars of the cage either. I won't even allow my dogs near a cat incase they get clawed in the face (I know of a dog this happened to:(), never mind small furries. One wrong swipe and you'll have a dead rat. However low your cat's hunting instinct is its still there. My sheepdog has a low herding instinct, but she'd still run after sheep if I didn't stop her. Better safe than sorry as they say.

15. A R 3

A R 3 PetForums Member

I didn't this so
    Thanks for the advice though
    My cat will be upset because he can't sleep on my bed anymore :nonod:

16. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Why can't he sleep on your bed anymore?

17. A R 3

A R 3 PetForums Member

Cos the rats will be in my room :D

18. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

My cats and dog take it in turn to sleep on my bed-I have rats and mice in my room;)

19. A R 3

A R 3 PetForums Member

But someone just said that you shouldn't let them sniff the cage either?
    Or am I going insane?

20. A R 3

A R 3 PetForums Member

See? I am not going mad!?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice