UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a lovely Kitty who is about 7 years old (we're unsure due to her being a rescue cat).

She's very timid, but in the two years I've had her she's come on leaps and bounds, now very comfortable in her home and even with strangers. She's very sociable, placid, and loves strokes and cuddles. There's not an aggressive bone in her body.

She's been in the house before when family dogs have visited, but always hidden under our bed. We're about to get a puppy, and while I have no doubt she will get used to the pup and will eventually enjoy its company - I'm wondering how to approach it in the first few weeks. The questions I have are:

Do I move her litter tray and food/water upstairs (She's an indoor cat)? Then move it downstairs when she feels more comfortable?

OR - do I keep everything as normal and hope the food/water/litter being downstairs will help to coax her out?

We're hoping to get a baby gate so she knows upstairs is her 'safe place' from the pup (which won't be allowed upstairs) and have read about ways to train the dog not to chase the cat or any other unwanted behaviour. The pup has also been bred by a lovely family with two cats so shouldn't be completely unfamiliar to having a cat around.

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
What kind of puppy?? I would put her things upstairs to start with, as she may be quite scared!! And keep the pup in one room to start with before you introduce them, maybe swap bedding to get them used to each other's scents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Treacles mum

It's going to be a West Highland Terrier, that's been brought up in a home with cats.

Kitty doesn't have her own bedding! Well, she does, but never sleeps in it! I bought her a nice plush one but she won't go near it! Instead she sleeps where ever she feels like :nono:

But that's a good idea!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I would keep pup in one room (mum always starts with the conservatory for the young animals) and the older existing animals still get the run of the place with their things in the usual place so they don't see the new animal as a major change. I did this with my new cat too, he went in the bathroom whilst the existing cat still had the run of the place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.